“Half good / half bad” 3 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Certificate of Excellence 2014
More attraction details
Owner description: We create memories! The Wells family has served South Padre Island for 5 generations and we create memories that last a life time! Our Adventure Park is located at the end of State Park Road 100 with forty acres of land spanning from the Gulf of Mexico to the Laguna Madre Bay that provides an unparalleled location for Adventure on South Padre Island. Our horseback rides are along the beach and water's edge and we often see a variety of shoreline and marine life and we get to ride in the remote portion of the Island that few people get to experience. No crowds here! Our Petting Barn is filled with birds and animals we have rescued or have been donated to us for a forever home. Children can enjoy a safe and educational interaction with all of our birds and animals (us big kids too). Dolores also owns The Massage & Healing Arts Center and her licensed and professional Massage Therapists are ready for your pampered needs after a fun day at the beach. Come; make your memories with us! We love what we do and we look forward to exploring the Island with you soon. Doyle & Dolores Wells
9 attraction reviews
“Half good / half bad”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013 via mobile

My wife and oldest daughter rode the horses. They enjoyed the ride and felt the ride and horses met expectations. On the other hand,I took my young son and younger daughter on the ATVs. This was an extreme disappointment. As soon as I walked up and took a look at the ATVs I knew I made a mistake. One chain came off before we even took off, my tire went flat and the worker shrugged and indicated to keep riding, later my rim broke into and the tire fell off. We were only allowed to ride in about a 150 foot circle. If we got off the trail, the two wheel drive ATVs would not go but get stuck in the sand. I was expecting to al least get to ride the beach.

Bottom line, the horses are ok, the ATVS are junk. If the owner wants to be in the ATV business they need to invest and make it enjoyable. Don't waste your money on the ATVs.

Visited August 2013
SPI-Native, Owner at South Padre Island Adventure Park, responded to this review, August 10, 2013
First, we're pleased that your wife and daughter enjoyed their horseback ride.

Second, I apologize to you and your son for not meeting your expectations of our ATV rentals. I had already done as you suggested and bought 6 new ATVs 30 days before you rode them, but as you can tell, the rental of ATVs is brutal on equipment. I don't offer this as an excuse but simply a fact...stuff breaks in the sand. I believe I know of the the person you referenced as not being helpful to your situation. He no longer works for me.

For you reference of "at least get to ride on the beach", we can't. ATVs are illegal and prohibited on the beach for protection of the dunes and vegetation. This is why I provide a 6 acre sand track for operating ATVS on the Island.

Please do this...give us another chance. Contact me whenever you are returning and I will give you and your son a complimentary ATV ride, or, better yet, join your wife and daughter on a beautiful sunset horseback ride on the beach...as my guests. Thanks, Doyle

sugar land
“Weekend Getaway”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

The attendants were friendly. The ride was enjoyable right on the beach. Everything went just like they said it would. The horses were gentle.

Visited August 2013
Austin, Texas, United States
“Great time riding horses on the beach at sunset”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2013

This ride is great for novice horse riders. Horses are well trained and calm. If you are a seasoned horseback rider, you may be a little bored at the slow pace. For us, however, we enjoyed the slow walk along the shoreline. And watching the sunset on horseback was really wonderful. The crew is very friendly and took pictures with our cameras for us. We rode for a good hour and half. Your bum is certainly a little sore after but it's worth it!

Austin, Texas
11 attraction reviews
“Good for first time riders”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013

My wife and niece, both first time riders, really enjoyed this. The horses are calm, and the beach is great. Biggest drawback is the large group size (50). This really took away from the moment as most of our time was spent keeping people organized. Would be much better in smaller groups (10 or less).

Dripping Springs, Texas
3 attraction reviews
“Horses & Hospitality - The True Southern Way”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013

To avoid any confusion this company is also known as South Padre Island Adventure Park.

If you are an avid rider you are probably not going to like any guided horse tour, however this one is relaxing and enjoyable due to the beachfront location. You are not forced to ride tail to nose, but you do have to stay with the pack so the guides can keep an eye on everyone for safety reasons. They will allow a short trot (for those who would like) on the ride out and stop for photo ops on the way back to the stable.

We were greeted promptly and courteously upon arrival. It is good to arrive about 30 minutes early to sign off on the paperwork and receive your safety gear (if needed). After that you head to the stables to await your horse. The staff does a great job of matching rider experience to their available horses. They have plenty to work with, plus the horses are well trained and maintained. Each person is helped onto their designated horse and the stirrups are adjusted to fit your leg length so as not to be too cramped up or unable to reach them.

I highly suggest wearing something other than flip flops on your ride unless you like manure between your toes. They use cordura saddles so there is little to no chaffing, making it good for those who want to ride in shorts. Cell phones are not allowed to be on so as not to startle the horses with odd ring tones and so you can control your horse in a safe manner. Bring a camera of some sort though, especially if you have kids and want to catch some smiles.

We did the morning special ride, which is an hour and a half. An excellent deal for the price you pay. It is also cooler and the horses are fresh for the day. Note: Don't forget to tip your guides! Kids must be 6 y.o. to ride, but they do offer pony rides for younger siblings, which is included in the price of the petting zoo.