“STAY AWAY!!! DISHONEST!!!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of SPI Cabanas

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in South Padre Island
SPI Cabanas
You added SPI Cabanas to your Saves list
125 East Campeche, South Padre Island, TX 78597   |
San Antonio, Texas
“STAY AWAY!!! DISHONEST!!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2013

This business is completely dishonest. We were charged for several nights of stay for the 4th of July weekend. Then we called to cancel b/c we changed our minds. They refused to provide a refund even though the law says we're entitled to a 3-day cancellation policy. Also, we never signed anything nor stayed there and their business practice is unfair and unlawful. When I told her we would have to take her to court, she said, "you do what you have to do". So we're doing.

We are currently seeking legal action against this business. We filed several complaints, one with the Better Business Bureau, The Attorney General's Office of Texas with Greg Abbott, and the Federal Trade Commission.

They don't answer or return phone calls and this demonstrates how unprofessional they are.

When we attempted to obtain a refund through our credit card, they claimed that they were calling us to confirm but we have our phone records that prove WE were the ones calling them and they stopped answering our phone calls.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

Myself and family members were very pleased with the accommodation's at the Cabana's and the overall experience the owner's offered. All amenities were provided for and the owners were more than just hospitable but they were also extremely knowledgeable of not only the island but of the best restaurants and places to visit while there! I would recommend South Padre Island Cabana's over any hotel in the area because of their customer service, accommodation's (full kitchen, living room, large bedrooms, etc,), locations to beaches and restaurants and overall customer service- 5 stars!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
San Antonio, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013

we stayed here for 3 days, we were very disappointed. when we got there the room was extremely hot, room was dirty, smelled horrible. we had to provide our own toilet paper, no clean towels for the 2 days. will not be staying there again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
spitx, Owner at SPI Cabanas, responded to this review, July 31, 2013
You know, it never ceases to amaze me how some people can take the truth and twist it.

This "lady" checked in with another couple last week. Showing up with a little yorkie adorned with pink bow tucked neatly under her arm like she was carrying a purse. She neglected to mention that she was bringing a "pet" when she booked the unit. But we were accommodating to her. Instead of giving her the unit I had originally booked for her, I had to switch the room because she brought a "pet". We only have one condo we use for pets because we keep in mind guests who are allergy sensitive and not to contaminate all the condos with pets...so, with this said, she gets the pet unit in which the air conditioner had not been turned on prior to her arrival, because we didn't expect a pet!  It takes awhile for the condo to cool off like any home would that has sat in 100 degree weather for a few days unoccupied ... Apparently she didn't get this concept...

Regarding her stating it was not clean, this is just a lie. I don't know anyway other than stating this. I cleaned the condo personally and it was scrubbed from top to bottom. We go as far as washing the bedspreads after each checkout. Most hotels even the biggest and best don't wash the bedspreads after each guest. So stating that my condo was not clean is a complete bold faced lie.
There was toilet paper in it because I put it there, in addition let me state that  if she had asked for more I would happily have supplied it to her. Keep in mind that she was renting a condo NOT a hotel room. It is up to HER to supply her own paper supplies after what is provided is used up. If she had read all the information on our property, she would have known this...
Let me also address that there were plenty of towels, they even asked for additional towels which we provided during her stay.  I don't think she gets the concept of CONDO rental. We are NOT a hotel to cater to her every whim, which I think she expected.

It's  unfortunate that there are some people in this world who no matter what you do, it is impossible to make them happy. If it was as bad as she is trying to make it out to be, then why did she stay? I can answer this.. It's because it wasn't as she stated.
Dripping Springs, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013

First and foremost who wants to stay in a condo or hotel at the beach? I see no fun in that. We were looking to find a place with atmosphere and South Padre Cabanas has that beach vibe. Initially driving up we were concerned because the front facing of the property is not much to look at, but nothing that a fresh coat of paint and some welcoming plants or maybe a cute sign can't fix. We hadn't seen much in the way of photos prior to renting, but ended up being pleasantly surprised upon checking into our cabana. Noteworthy: Within walking distance to the beach (approx. 300 yards).

We stayed in cabana #4, which has been recently updated. It had a great kitchenette with dining table, chairs, stove/oven, microwave refrigerator, etc., which is a godsend after seeing island pricing on mediocre food. The bathroom was nice with a spacious walk in shower. Plenty of towels and washcloths were provided. Our rental also had a couch, coffee table and small television. Cable and internet access were included. The bedroom consisted of two full/queen beds separated by a night stand. A bit crowded for a family of four with teen kids, but we made do (my step son slept on the couch and had no complaints). The beds are rather bouncy so when someone rolls over you feel every movement, which I am not used to due to my tempur-pedic mattress at home. However, they were comfortable enough for vacation and the bedding was in good condition. I suggest that if you are a pillow monger or blanket thief to bring extras. There were two air conditioning units in the room so the place was easy to keep cool and comfortable in the middle of hot, humid July. There is also a small balcony with two cushioned chairs that you can sit on and relax after a long day. Also useful for hanging your wet, sandy beach gear out to dry. Tip: Baby powder easily removes sand from your body so you do not trek it through your room.

Edie and Bob were friendly and welcoming. They made sure everything was to our liking and that our stay was comfortable. Keep in mind they are not there to wait on you hand and foot. This is not a hotel with room service. However, they are wandering about throughout the day and night going about their business so they are around if you need anything. Edie is a wealth of knowledge about the island and can tell you the best places to eat and what to avoid. Bob designs pool tables so it was interesting speaking with him as well. Downstairs is a recreation area with a seating, two BBQ pits, pool table and an outdoor shower. Lots of plants and flowers about really give it a tropical vibe. We even sat with Edie and Bob chit-chatting and doing some pottery planter painting to add to the garden area. It really felt like a home away from home.

My final thought: This is a great place for small families on a budget who really want the all around beach experience.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Dallas, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

This was the cheapest (and only) place I could find on the island since we booked last-minute and preferred a condo to a hotel. The price was awesome, and Eydie was great. She gave good advice on places to be careful of on the drive down and warned us of the police on the island. It definitely wasn't new or fancy, but the room was clean aside from the dishes and shower.

You get what you pay for. The kitchen was decently equipped, but most of the dishes were dirty. One of the cups had mold in it, and the silverware didn't look so great. Sleep quality was REALLY bad. The bedroom had a very bright light outside, and there were no curtains on the windows. It was bright as day. We had to go to the store and get some black trash bags to tape over the window. Also, the A/C unit in the bedroom was extremely loud and kept us awake even after we avoided the light. My advice would be to bring your own pillows as well. The ones in the room were flat and uncomfortable.

Of course, you don't go to the island to spend time in a room, so this definitely served its purpose for us. I could deal with the dishes, but I was tired for the whole stay due to the poor sleep quality. Since the room was rented primarily for sleep, I can't give a better rating.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Ontario Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

This is our first trip it Texas and we decided on South Padre Island. Our stay has been 3 months and we have had a wonderful time. Our condo isn't perfect but has meet our needs being clean and comfortable and I have started to think of it as our home. Bob and Eydie have been very nice and have met our requests with prompt service and have gone out of their way to ensure we have been satisfied with our stay. Eydie has recommend hairdressers and restaurants that she thinks we will enjoy and of course where to get the best pedicures. They have given us advice on a day trip to Mexico and what to expect and where to cross the border which has been so helpful considering that we have never been to Texas before. The kitchen isn't equipped the same as my kitchen at home but then it has taken me years collect and since this is a holiday sort of I really don't need a lot and the essentials are there and if there isn't what I want I can always pick it up at the store or do without for a few months.
My husband loves to fish and we are within walking distance to the beach and he has caught some good eating fish. We both like the beach and being able to walk has been great, for long walks on the beach or just sitting reading it has been wonderful and I have a great tan to prove it.
To sum up it has been a wonderful 3 month and I would come back to SPI cabanas again I think of Bob and Eydie as friends and we have met some great people in Texas.

Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
harlingen
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2012

I have stayed at this place several times, and I am always made to feel at home. The owners are very hospitable and are always eager to make my stay as enjoyable as possible. The accommodations are not brand new, but they are comfortable and meet my needs. A comfortable bed, cold a/c, refrigerator for the beer and nearby restaurants to fill my pallet. Very private without the hassle of 50 other renters coming and going. Nice patio to kick back, no pool, but I don't have the need for such things. Great for couples wanting an inexpensive get away.

Room Tip: Front units are nice...