“A happy surprise - and great birding” 4 of 5 stars

Hotel deals
Special Offer
Earn 2X HHonors Points
Austin, TX
“A happy surprise - and great birding”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

We arrived without reservations on a beautiful spring weekend (and biker fest) and asked if there were any beach front rooms for 2 nights. The desk manager offered us a great deal (about 40% off the on-line rack rate) and we were happy to take it. The room was spacious, clean and well appointed. We especially enjoyed the balcony facing the beach. The hotel was busy, but handled the crowds very well. The $9.95 buffet breakfast offered great variety, good food and good service. A big bonus for us is that the hotel is directly across the road from the South Padre Island Birding Center and the Convention Center. On this particular weekend, the trees behind the Convention Center were filled with migrating warblers, orioles, buntings and more. The Birding Center boardwalks offered great close-up views of many other migrants and resident shore birds.
We'll be back.

Room Tip: Third and fourth floor rooms, especially those toward the north end of the hotel, have better views...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Aaron R, Guest Relations Manager at Hilton Garden Inn South Padre Island, responded to this review, May 15, 2013
Dear Guest,

We appreciate you taking the time to write a review of your experience at the Hilton Garden Inn. We are glad you had enjoyed your room, your breakfast, our location, and most of all yourselves. Our staff will be delighted to hear you were more than pleased with their service. We will be looking forward to seeing you here again.

595 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (172)
Houston, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

I had mixed impressions of the Hilton Garden Inn. The good: It's a bit nicer than your average beach hotel, with a pleasant lobby area and clean, spacious rooms with comfortable bedding and up-to-date fixtures. The junior suite with ocean view was very nice. Housekeeping did a great job cleaning the room and especially providing plenty of fresh towels! The pool is huge and sparkling-clean, and there are two hot tubs as well. The waitress in the pool area was pleasant and attentive. Although the hotel is located on the less-crazy northern part of the hotel strip, we didn't find it particularly quiet, but that's not the Garden Inn's fault--there was a very loud outdoor wedding at the La Quinta Inn next door. The bad: we stopped in the hotel restaurant for late-night drinks and snacks one night, and they seemed extremely disorganized. The food was pretty bad--my mozzarella sticks tasted a bit of the freezer, and I'm pretty sure my husband's soup came from a can. But the worst thing? I found three ANTS floating in my cocktail. To be fair, when I brought this to the attention of the bartender, he was extremely apologetic and more than accommodating. I understand that sometimes things happen, but still... ick. So, some good, some not so good. If you stay at the Garden Inn, eat and drink somewhere else!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Aaron R, Guest Relations Manager at Hilton Garden Inn South Padre Island, responded to this review, May 2, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience on TripAdvisor. We are happy you found your stay with us pleasant and very scenic. We deeply apologize about your dining experience. Customer satisfaction is crucial to us as we strive to impress all of our diners. Ants in your cocktail is inexcusable and unacceptable. We can assure you we will extensively look into this incident. We are sorry you had to deal with this. Thank you for choosing us and please come visit us again we'd love a chance to put our best foot forward.

Bests,
South Padre Island, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

The Staff and Hotel was great from the start, friendly, helpful, the hotel was clean and we had an amazing view. I will definitely be staying here again the breakfast was made to order, and the pool and hottub were great.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn

Aaron R, Guest Relations Manager at Hilton Garden Inn South Padre Island, responded to this review, April 26, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing us and taking the time to write about your experience. We are thrilled to read you had a great amazing experience staying at The Hilton Garden Inn during your visit to South Padre Island. Our staff will be happy to know you were very satisfied with their accommodating service. Please come visit us again the next time you’re in SPI.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013 via mobile

Staff is fine. Stayed for a portion of our honeymoon. When we arrived and they learned it was our honeymoon we were upgraded to a room that faced the beach. Unfortunately when we booked we didn't realize that the room rate we chose was for two beds...small queens.The manager said we would have a king but when I called downstairs I was advised we had already been upgraded to a better room. We were fine and appreciated the better view.

We left a generous tip for the housekeeping staff on our first morning. However when I went to make coffee the next morning I had no sweet and low. Again no problem.

We left our room at 1130 and removed the do not disturb sign. We returned 3 hours later and room hadn't been cleaned. we left again within 30 minutes and saw 2 housekeeping carts next door. We assumed our room would be taken care of.

We returned at 5 pm and still not done. When I called downstairs I was told housekeeping was gone but he would check if there was anyone here. After 10 minutes I made our beds and called for just clean towels. I was told then that housekeeping was now on way up.

I was disappointed that no call was made to update me that housekeeping was still here.

On a positive note bartenders were great

• Stayed April 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your honest review and for sharing your experience of your stay. We are happy you enjoyed your view, our staff, and bartenders. We are very sorry you had so much difficulty with the housekeeping. This is inexcusable and we will be taking action to ensure that this does not occur in the future. We hope that you choose to stay with us once again.

Best,
Austin, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

The hotel itself was very nice and a great location, right on the beech. However, the food at the resturant was very bad. In the morning, I got some non fat milk to put in my cereal and my coffee. The milk was sour. I was pretty suprised as the milk smelled pretty bad.

At lunch, I had to eat there as I was there for meetings. I got the garden salad with grilled chicken. The broccoli was all yellow and very old. I guess not many people eat there. I had to eat there for lunch the next day again. O ordered the same salad. This time the broccoli was fresh. I guess I used up all their old broccoli and they were just too cheap to through it away.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Aaron R, Guest Relations Manager at Hilton Garden Inn South Padre Island, responded to this review, April 30, 2013
Dear guest,

Thanks for taking the time to review our hotel and on-site restaurant on TripAdvisor. I'm sorry to hear that you didn't enjoy your food, and that you were unhappy with the service. We don't want any of our guests to leave with a bad impression, and your feedback is appreciated. I apologize again for your frustration with the service. I hope you'll reconsider and give us another chance to impress you.

Stanwood, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013 via mobile

This property is at the north end of all the hotels and is in a quiet location. We were here during a very quiet spring week and enjoyed the large pool and hottubs. The swim towels could be a little more convenient to get than going to the front desk. Easy beach access. We were in a junior suite and had a beautiful ocen view along with a balcony with a table and 3chairs.

Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing the Hilton Garden Inn and taking the time to share your experience. We are delighted you had enjoyed your spring break and liked our quiet location. We will value your tip made about the swim towels and will look into other ways to providing them more conveniently. Please come visit us again then next time you’re in South Padre Island.

Best,
Nipawin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

the hotel was very nice and clean. the staff very helpful and pleasant.The pool area and walkway to the beach were great.The restaurant had good food at reasonable prices and good serice. The breakfast was good.

Room Tip: ocean front
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,

We appreciate your kind worded review and for taking the time to share your experience of your stay with other Trip Advisor users. We are glad you had enjoyed the hotel, beach, and on-site restaurant. We strive in great customer service thus we are always thrilled to read a review from yet another satisfied customer. Thank you for choosing the Hilton Garden Inn and we hope to see again soon.

Aaron R.

Been to Hilton Garden Inn South Padre Island? Share your experiences!