“Great getaway weekend” 5 of 5 stars

Earn 2X HHonors Points
Houston, Texas
“Great getaway weekend”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

When we first walked into the hotel we noticed how clean and nice it was. For a beach town, there wasn't any sand or dirt to be seen. Our check in process was handled quickly and efficiently and we headed up to our fourth floor room with partial ocean view. Our room was immaculate and large enough to feel spacious - and the view was great. We enjoyed sitting on our balcony each evening, sipping on cocktails and listening to the waves.

And every member of the hotel staff, from the gentleman who brought us a new television remote control, to the front desk staff, to the bartenders with whom we spent an hour or so each night, were all very friendly and attentive. if we get another chance to make a trip to South Padre Island, I'm sure we will stay here again.

584 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (168)
Ottawa, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

Don't let the name fool you. It has a very diverse menu with extremely low prices. The restaurant runs specials daily that seem to last until 8:00 p.m. This includes food as well as drinks. The carbo bean soup is great (Mexicans consider this a bowl of beans) but has the consistency and taste of a good soup. Check out the seafood selections as well as the fish tacos in a corn tortilla with avacado. It is a very good choice. The chicken, grape sandwich with arvarde cheese sounds strange but is very delicious. Initially I did not want to eat at a Hilton, given all the restaurant selections of seafood on South Padre, but I am glad I did.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

We managed to snare this hotel for one week 11/1-07 for 50 bucks a nite on expedia. Beach side location with a good restaurant which was not too expensive. Across the street there is a sea turtle rescue facility and an elevated boardwalk where you can see many varied shore birds
highly recommended...

Room Tip: 4 th floor best choice ask for an ocean view
dallas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

First Impression:
I arrived at the hotel close to midnight. The lobby was immaculate. I was there for business, but the ambiance made me feel like I was at the start of a nice, peaceful vacation. I was pretty exhausted, but the front desk clerk was bright-eyed, bushy-tailed, and very friendly. That's kind of hard to do at midnight...especially at work! LOL

The Room in General:
When I opened the door to my room, I was beyond impressed. It was HUGE! There was a very nice sitting area with a computer desk, connections, and a nice television. The living room furniture was kind of modern, beach-y chic. The color palette was tasteful & perfect for relaxation. I have nothing against the wonderfully obnoxious primary color palette that is common in some "modern" designs, but I really appreciated peaceful blue versus, say...raging red for this particular visit. Kudos to the design team! On the way to the bedroom, there was a refrigerator, microwave, coffee maker, & closet with a safe. They also have a dry cleaning service & had a price list available, should that be a necessary amenity for the guest(s).

Bathroom:
The bathroom was pretty standard for a hotel of this caliber. Of course, like most hotels, they provide the things that we sometimes forget. (Soap, shampoo, conditioner, lotion, etc.) They also offered a sample of a fragrant salt scrub. I am all about the little things, so what got me about the bathroom is that the bath towels were IN THE SHOWER! LOVED that seemingly simple detail. I didn't have to get out of the shower to start drying off. I thought that was great.
Shampoo-$ x.xx
Conditioner- $ x.xx
Sea Salt Scrub- $ x.xx
Not Being Cold After a Shower- PRICELESS!

Quality of Sleep:
Well...my intention was to jump right into bed and crash, but with such an awesome view of the pool area, how could I?! Did I mention that I had a nice poolside sitting area with a table and chairs? So...instead of sleeping, I opened the glass doors, enjoyed the breeze & took in the beautiful scenery. Eventually, I did go to bed, but quite honestly, I can't say how I felt about it because it was a K.O. I just know that I woke up. LOL

Breakfast: I had a great omelet that was made-to-order. There were several other options as well. Please, people...TIP them to show appreciation for their service. I was a little disappointed to see people walk away and leave nothing in the jar.

Complaints: I am really disappointed with Hilton because had I known that it was going to exceed my expectations, I would have extended my stay and had my family join me. Midnight until 7:00 am (checkout is at 11:00) was simply not enough time to fully appreciate the facility. In fact, I think they owe me for such an important omission! LOL jk

TOTALLY STAY HERE, GUYS! They will take care of you.

Room Tip: I really loved my room, which was poolside. The beautiful blue water, cabana lighting, & night...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Natalia, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012 via mobile

This is a perfect place for a weekend getaway! Plenty of activities within walking distance or you can ride the Wave bus anywhere you want to go. The food at the hotel is great! The hotel staff is very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed November 2012
Austin, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

We loved this hotel. Of course nothing is perfect, but the imperfections here are small. First, the good stuff: when they say ocean view, they mean it. We had a full view, however because of the way hotel sits on a slight angle to the coastline, even the partial views are great. And since a state park is next door, nothing will ever be built to block those views. Do get a room with a balcony. The junior suites are a great deal: huge, nicely decorated, comfy beds, good water pressure. The buffet breakfast is quite good, with made to order waffles, pancakes and omelets. A short boardwalk takes you over some dunes right to the beach, and they have a nice sundeck there as well. Downside: noise. We visited in the off-season so this wasn't much of a problem BUT just be aware if you visit in the summer, you *will* hear your neighbors thanks to very thin walls. One night they had a cheesy hula show outside on the pool deck, which our room overlooked. It was LOUD. Other than the noise issue, this hotel is up to HIlton's usual standards. We will definitely come back.

Room Tip: Opt for a room on the north side overlooking nature park. You still get a 1/2 to 3/4 ocean view, but...
Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

First time to South Padre and very happy we chose to stay here. We had a great room overlooking the ocean and everything inside the room was extremelly clean and perfect for us. The front desk was very helpfuly with check in/check out requests and also with recommending restaurants. Hotel is located on the north end of the strip so it is relatively quiet. Clayton's beach bar is right next door if you want to grab some food and drinks and enjoy the views. I would definitely stay here again and would highly recommend it to anyone.

Room Tip: Room facing the ocean
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Hilton Garden Inn South Padre Island? Share your experiences!