“Good Italian on South Padre” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Italian, Pizza
Good for: Bar scene, Families with children, Romantic, Doing business, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Dessert, Delivery, Late Night, Reservations, Takeout
The Woodlands, Texas
“Good Italian on South Padre”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2012

When I arrived in South Padre (my first time ever), Gabriella's was the first place that I ate. Although my family and I had to wait about 25 minutes for our table, we were escorted to Gabriella's upstairs waiting area with ample seating, games (chess, checkers, etc.), a bar, and even a very entertaining magician. Soon enough, our table was ready and we were led to a comfortable, dim-lit dining area with a neat atmosphere complete with an old Italian musical playing.

The food at Gabriella's was by no means the best Italian food I have ever had, but it was still very appetizing and delicious. I ordered the Pasta a la Tonno, a flavorful pasta dish with yellowfin tuna that was very good. The portions were fairly large, and almost everyone in my family boxed their pastas to eat for lunch the following day.

My family was planning on returning to Gabriella's on a Tuesday to try their pizza (which looked good from what I saw at other tables), but the restaurant was closed unfortunately. Overall, Gabriella's was a great way to kick off my vacation in South Padre and I would certainly recommend it to anyone looking for good Italian on the island!

• Visited November 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

South Padre Island, Texas
“Legit Italian”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

Definately the best italian on south padre. good selection of draft beers, unique pizzas and a classic menu come together at Gabriella's. This place is a favorite of many locals, a is a popular watering hole.

Visited January 2012
Vancouver Island
“Tasty pizza”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

Gabriella's was recommended on our visit to SPI. The pizzas were very tasty and pretty big, we ended up taking home more than we ate at the restaurant! casual atmosphere

Visited November 2012
Portland OR
“Food average. Dessert and magician excellent!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

The food was here was just ok. I have had much better italian. However, since the food was not that great we had room for dessert and thats where the 5 stars would be. The dessert here was fantastic. Also, there was a magician going around to all the tables for entertainment. At first we were a little skeptical and almost told him to go away but we are so glad we didnt! He was awesome!! Very good magician and very entertaining.

• Visited September 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Port Aransas, Texas
“SADLY, DISAPPOINTING”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

Boy, were we looking forward to this place! We tried to go on Saturday evening, but, there was over an hour wait, so, we regrouped and showed up on Sunday evening. Happily, we were seated immediately and proceeded to, evidently, order the wrong items, as our meals were just acceptable, at best. After having read about the mussels, both our guys went for them for their entrees over pasta as they are "mussel men". First of all, they arrived sans pasta, so, had to be brought back to the kitchen for the pasta to be inserted rather strangely. The main problem, however, was the mussels were completely overwhelmed with smoked bacon (never did think that too much bacon was ever a bad thing), HOWEVER, this dish was totally overpowered. On top of no flavor, the mussels were overcooked and not tender and presented in a sauce that was a heavy, salty, brown broth. Not what was expected, unfortunately. To accompany my oysters rockefeller (appetizer as an entree), which WERE good, I ordered the meat ravioli appetizer which was supposedly " toasted to a golden brown and drizzled with garlic butter and parmesan." Out came huge deep fried lumps which were so tough you could not cut them with a fork (this IS pasta). The raviolis were stuffed, not with any type of meat, but with pureed inedible green spices. The waitress did remove this debacle shortly after she served it as I think she was also surprised by the outcome. Anyway, the salad was completely bland, the bread was good, but the dipping sauce was pungent and very strong so we asked for a side of butter, , for which we were incredibly charged the amount of seventy-five cents! Really?? The only thing we can figure is we, evidently, did not order the correct items, or, the kitchen was having an "off" night perhaps wth the "B" team. Also, because of the rave reviews, we were really hyped for a wonderful Italian treat, so, our big old bad experience was that much more disappointing. Perhaps, this was just the exception to the rule experience, but, very unhappy that we were the said exceptions.

• Visited November 2012