“Good food/ Amazing service/ Fantastic drinks” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Boerne, Texas
“Good food/ Amazing service/ Fantastic drinks”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2012

We ate here on Mothers Day and were very pleased... Our server "Daniel" was amazing. he was very prompt and patient considering we had 4 restless and messy kids. The queso Flamada was really good. We ate a variety of Mexican and sea food and everything was good. We also Had several drinks off the menu and all were great. "The Big Donkey" drink is a must have... We def will be returning next time were in town.

• Visited May 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Spicewood, TX
“Strange-tasting food, bad service”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2012

I've been eating in S. Texas mexican food restaurants for 45 years. After Palmetto Inn closed, we had no place to go for mexican food on South Padre Island. We decided to try this place based on good experiences with their other restaurants, Dirty Al's and Daddy's.

My daughter ordered chicken fajita nachos and received beef fajita nachos. My wife ordered the nachos supremas and I had the enchiladas verdes. The chips and salsa were exceptional, but when they ran out, they were never refilled. The guacamole was good, but needed salt and onion so we also ordered some chopped onion.

My daughter said she would be fine with a plate of chicken fajitas as she removed the beef. I tried the beef fajita just out of curiosity. It was horrible; the worst I have ever eaten. It was salty, rubbery and tasted strongly of beef broth. Way too much meat tenderizer and what's with the brothy taste? Just awful.

My enchiladas were very dry, so I ordered more tomatillo sauce, which I never recieved until I asked again. By then, I had almost finished them. My rice and refried beans were perfect.

I needed more salsa, but never got it. My wife said her nachos were weird. I tasted the ground meat on the nachos. It was very weird. Too much strange seasoning.

I then tasted the chicken they brought out. It was also salty and rubbery and came in chunks, not the slices of chicken breast we are accustomed to.

We were charged for the chicken and the chopped onion.

The waiter (Daniel) totally screwed up the split checks (he was not all there throughout the experience). He did take the chicken charge off.

I was not impressed, although the chicken in my enchiladas was good. The waiter was way below average and the fajitas and ground beef were not good.

Great place for rice, beans, chips and salsa, but the rest of the food was a disappointment.

• Visited May 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Clarksville, Tennessee
“Accomidating to a larger party, friendly, good food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2012

We had originally tried to eat dinner at Gabriellas Pizzeria, but the hostess was so rude about us having a party of 11, that we left and went to The Big Donkey. When we arrived the host immediately said, "11? Come right this way!" We were sat instantly, two tables pushed together to form one large table (Which was not a requirement, we just wanted two tables within sight of each other because we had 5 children in our party.)
The food there was good. It wasnt the greatest food Ive ever eaten, but the menu had a good selection of things, the waitress was right there whenever we needed her, every staff member we encountered was friendly and the bathrooms were clean. We would definitely go back to The Big Donkey for dinner again.

• Visited April 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Edinburg, Texas
“excellent”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2012

Food was excellent and customer services was excellent:-)

Visited April 2012
Bainbridge Is WA
“Big Donkey South Padre TX”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2012

We've been frequenting Big Donkey for several years while 'snow birding'. They have good daily specials. Friendly staff. Prompt service. Fun happy hour with live music. Also, check out local authentic Mex places in Pt Isabel..just across the causeway. A couple of the cafes are especially good & cheap. Look for the ones with lots of cars outside!

• Visited February 2012