“Expected much more” 3 of 5 stars

Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #17 of 33 Hotels in South Padre Island
“Expected much more”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2012 via mobile

The rooms were very nice and clean. Except the showrr head sucked and at one point water barely run. The lobby and elevators were really hot. Rarely ever saw any staff. For the price we pay some free coffee would be nice. Coffee machine wasnt even running both times that i wanted it. Front desk staff were polite and quick. First floor lobby also had lots of mosquitos.

• Stayed August 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Edinburg, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2012

I didn't read the reviews and made reservations for 3 business clients for a function. This is an Ascend Collection Hotel for pete's sake,shouldn't that stand for something? Lobby is very shabby with several empty business spaces packed with junk, looks bad. Nice rooms and comfy beds. Beautiful bathroom with no running water in shower. Did get a decent bath by using ice bucket filled in sink to rinse with. No place to hang clothing, hung clothes in non functioning shower. No hairdryer, no breakfast offered. All 3 rooms on 4th floor with great view of the Bay and Night Club with LOUD music until 2AM. All rooms had same problems, one client checked out of hotel after one night, the oher one laughed it off,(hope we don't lose their business), and the other room was mine and I was stuck and could not leave. I believe the word "mortified" sums our stay. If I'd read the reviews I would not have chosen this hotel as the problems we experienced seem to be ongoing.

Room Tip: Do not take a room on the 4th floor, the night club is noisy.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Brownsville, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2012

I was disappointed in our stay at the Suites at Sunchase in South Padre Island. This used to be a mall at one time, so the hallways are quite unique!! The small pool faces the street which is very busy. Our room was quite large, but was very lacking. There as no waste can in the room, only in the bathroom. So apple cores and orange peels went into the bathroom trash can. The one standard window we had only had a window blind, no blackout curtains or any curtains at all, so all the light from the adjacent hotel (Sunchase) came into our room. We had a handicap room, but there were no safety bars anywhere in the bathroom. The shower was accessible by wheelchair, but all the water ran out into the floor making it very messy, but more importantly very slippery! The most disappointing of all is that the beach access is two (2 1/2) blocks away. The hotel is situated very close to the beach, but not accessable to the Suites at Sunchase guests! Overall, I will not every consider this stay again.

Room Tip: Ask about beach access
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2012 via mobile

First room cockroach infested! Second room 1 ac unit hanging off the wall the other blowing warm air! Third room wet patch on carpet in front of ac unit, not hot water on one of the mornings, following day hot water brown! No wifi in the rooms, cable Internet not working. We raised all these issues and was offer a $20 discount at the Resturant !! I don't think so..

Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
South Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2012

This hotel appeared to be one of the finest on the island, however, that is so far from the truth. The rooms are extra large, but that is not neccissarily a good thing. There is tons of dead space in the room. The carpet is dirty, the bedsheets were old, the room was musty, and I found 2 silver-fish on the carpet by the bed. Additionally, the air conditioner is undersized for the size of the room and is located right next to the bed, so if you sleep on the side of the bed closest to the A/C, you are frozen, the rest of the room is warm, at best. The layout of the room is strange. The building used to be a shopping mall and they converted the defunct mall into a hotel. So the designers tried to fit hotel rooms into the layout of the old building. Didn't work IMO. The walls are very thin and you can hear anything coming out of the next room very clearly. Hotel is understaffed and workers are over-worked. They are not ready to help you with anything. If you end up at the end of the hall way, you will walk a substantial distance to your room from the elevator, due to my reason as stated above (previously a mall). Swimming pool is located in front of the hotel, right in front of the main road on the island, so you see and hear traffic as you are in the pool. I would not stay at this hotel again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room closet to the elevator to avoid a very long walk.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
McAllen, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2012

We stayed here Summer 2011 and I wrote a review elsewhere. I might as well write one here for you all too. The hotel room was a 2 Queen with no views at the 4th floor. We came on a weekend so the pool bar was closed. There were no complimentary towels to use for the pool, so you had to use the towels you just used in your room or at the beach! I felt this was bothersome. The sink in the room's mini kitchen had hot water, but the shower did NOT. It was an awkward shower. I have been searching for rooms this year, and I thought about giving it another chance, but overall I do not want to live lower than I do at home. So I just booked a different hotel. We had no problems with Comfort Suites who is their sister in the corporation. So if you can do the extra $50 for no problems, do it. Also, the staff was rude. The elevator I rode in back then hadn't been serviced since 2010 which is against the law. So if you do stay here, check that as well to see if it has been updated in 2012. One more thing. The views of the bay's sunset was amazing from the lobby area of the 4th floor. I got some pretty amazing pictures there.

Room Tip: Stay away from 4th floor, with the 4 couch living area towards the back. People sat here at midnight...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2012

I have never ever wrote a review, let alone a BAD review because I like to be objective and not emotional. Even after reading the negative reviews prior to arriving, I was willing to give it a try especially since we already purchased and booked three suites from travelzoo. That said, I did not mention to my teenagers what I read because I did not want to give them a preconceived notion of what to expect. 1st night , our room- long hair strands in bed ( i have short hair) and air conditioner leaking in floor creating a hazardous puddle of water. Manager moves us to another room which smelled like it had a sewage backup, rust coming out of the nozzle when turning on water in sink and very low water pressure in the shower. Also had a stained carpet. 1st night, my teenagers room, said there were gnats all over the room and in there clothes. I didn't even mention the trip advisor reviews. By the 2nd night they said it got worst and was moved to another room. The 3rd room we had with my mother in law may have been okay as she did not complain. I will say this. If you want to be close to the beach, it is within walking distance. This may be good for teenagers who aren't concerned with quality and just want a place to put there stuff in a room....or not....

• Stayed August 2012

Been to Suites at Sunchase? Share your experiences!