“better than expected” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #12 of 33 Hotels in South Padre Island
Dallas, Texas
“better than expected”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013

So we stayed here for 4 days and it was totally better than I imagine would be, when we checked in the lady at the office gave us a magazine of the Island, that helped a lot to see what was around, she was nice and her cat was too :)
The room was clean, and it was nice that they added the dark curtains, I can't imagine what it was like without them when trying to sleep. Our room had 2 beds that were ok, it had the "kitchen area" as it was mentioned, but it was way smaller than what it looks like on pictures.
We rented the "kitchen kit" wasted money, the box that the dishes were in smelled so bad that I did not feel comfortable using it.
Is nice that they allow pets, we had our dogs(in crates) with us. The pool was clean and I like the security fence they have, great for out little explorer to not get into trouble.
The cleaning lady was really nice, she even folded the kids blankets and place their stuff animals posing on the bed, the kids liked that :)
Overall it was good, but we did see some bugs in the bathroom that disgusted me a lot. However it was not bad for the price. Oh yeah, I would have liked if they gave us an invoice, since at the end I'm not sure what we were charge for.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Houston, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2013

At first glance, walking into the beach house it does seem to be clean. The décor is very simple however dated. If you are looking for 5 stars, all inclusive luxury, look some other place.

The Kitchen has lots of room, and is equipped with stove and microwave; fridge is full size. Dining room table is old as well as the four rolling chairs, but serves its purpose.

Living room sofa is even older and dingy however oddly enough very comfortable. We just threw a sheet over it to cover the old fabric. There is not a lot of seating in the living room, the sofa is it. Room has small TV with cable.

One bedroom has bunk beds, and a clear view of the pool. This room in extremely small, but gets the job done. The other bedroom is larger and with I think a queen bed. The bed is hard, and not of the highest quality; again, strangely enough very comfortable. The mattress is clean, free of smells or stains. Extra linens available.

There was only one bathroom that is right smack in the full view of the sofa area; kind’a weird. Stand up shower, not the most comfortable for the larger person; normal size toilet and sink area. Towels are provided.

The property has a washer and dryer for guest to use. Each load is $2.00. Dryer is free.
Overall the room is clean, but if you look closer as I did, some things could have been cleaner. The mattress pad on the queen bed had hair that covered quite a bit of it. Although it seemed washed my guess is it came from the dryer or wash cycle. We brought our own mattress cover so this was not an issue for us. Other things like base boards and bottom of doors could use a good scrub. The closet with the air conditioner needs a MAJOR dusting. The inside lining of the fridge seems to have mold and the bottom of the fridge was rusted. Other than that the place was very clean in the areas that mostly get touched.

Lastly the pool. This makes the whole place worth it. We loved the pool, it was only 4feet all around and small, but the water is so clean and feels so good. I give the pool alone 5 stars. The walk to the beach is simple and close. Nice size back yard, provided BBQ pit and pool toys.

Also, don’t buy a broom, we found one in the living room closet.
Wi-Fi is included and free!

Overall, we loved our trip and this was a nice place to stay. I can’t say this was cheap as there are other condos to rent for around the same price. We chose this place because of the reviews for South Beach Inn. And thought we give it a try. We would stay here again and recommend to others.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

We just got back to San Antonio on Saturday 6/22/13. We have been staying there for the past 5 years and make it an annual deal. We used to stay across the bridge in Port Isabel but when we found how affordable this place really was we switched over and have been going there since. For the money you cannot beat the value in the room. We like it there for the simple fact that you get the Bang for your buck so to speak. We had enough money left to go out to eat every day and do some of the activities on the beach like dolphin watching, deep sea fishing, going to the theme parks. It is a clean and safe place to stay and worth the money. If you like throwing money away and renting one of those fancy smanzy places knock yourself out, pay $200 or $300 a night just for a towel advertising a corporate hotel with a @10 blow dryer. For my money and experience shopping around on the island for an affordable room with 2 beds and a kitchenette within a hop skip and a jump away from the beach this is the place. It's a charming yellow building with barbq pits right outside your door so you can barbq while your kids are swimming and by the time they get out barbq is ready. I love this place hands down the best spent money on the island. Its a people and pet friendly place.

Room Tip: Best bang for your buck
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
southbeachtexas, Owner at South Beach Inn, responded to this review, July 1, 2013
Thanks so much for the great review! Thank you for being our regular guests! We love you!
That's what Bill says too, "It's the best bang for the buck." Too funny. But true. We are so close to the beach, and offer kitchens and BBQs. We have a great pool, a great yard, Cable TV, and Free WIFI. Thanks so much, and we hope to see you again soon!
Manor, Texas, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013

I expected a low budget motel, and there were no surprises there. It was old and funky although pretty clean. BUT...I didn't expect to be in a room that didn't resemble the other units shown on the site. It was almost as if they'd stuck us in a big closet! It's called Unit 10. It's very small and there were NO windows (except for the tiny one on the door that faced the dumpster out back), no table and 4 chairs (there was a small bar with stools, but it's hard to play games on a bar!), nowhere to hang your clothes (not even a hook on the back of the bathroom door for cryin out loud!), no credenza (there were 3 night stands), no bath tub (there was a nice shower though), no phone (we had cell phones), no coffeemaker, and this one killed me...no smoke alarm! YIKES!!! Thankfully, the nice owner got us a coffeemaker right away and a smoke alarm was installed on the 2nd day (same day we asked). Actually, the room would have been tolerable had I known what to expect, but it was hardly the room that's pictured or described on their web site. There were no chairs to sit in out front on the poolside either (because there was no "front" to this unit, you couldn't see the pool if you tried), The owner did give me a $20 discount per night, which was something, but still, we were very disappointed because it just didn't live up to our expectations. And they weren't very high to begin with. LOL I think if we had gotten in a "regular" room with the pool view (as shown), it would have been fine. I cannot recommend Unit 10 though.

Room Tip: There may be another substandard room besides #10, so be sure and ask. :)
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your candid response. And we apologize again that we were unable to move you, as we had no other available room. We save Unit #10 for whomever reserves last. When we speak to the guest directly during the reservation process, we explain the room, and ask if they'd like to proceed or not. We have 2 rooms that are different than all the rest; Unit #9 and Unit #10. Neither has windows other than a small window in the door. They each have Cable TV and WIFI. They also have smoke detectors. (The room did have a smoke detector, but someone must have removed it prior to this guest's stay.) However, I'd like to note, Unit #10 has a nicer kitchen, a nice TV, a nice large shower, and our rooms are clean. And, believe it or not, some people even request rooms 9 or 10, because they offer a bit more privacy.
So, I guess, to each his own. Maybe it should just say "be aware that room 10 is different."
Thank you for staying with us.
San Antonio, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2013

I have stayed at this motor inn, I call it, for four years counting now. My stays average three nights but this year I am staying 7. This is a cost consious place to stay, it is not luxury. What you get is a large clean room, kitchenette (bring your own dishes, pans, utensils), a private stay with no hassles, access to a little used pool, and a three minute walk to the beach. I love this place.

Room Tip: I don't see any difference in the rooms.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
southbeachtexas, Owner at South Beach Inn, responded to this review, May 27, 2013
Thank you for the great review! We love our return guests! We have installed blackout curtains and pillow-top mattress pads to make you more comfortable this year. Our upstairs suites are gone, but we have our four-plex on Oleander for larger family groups. We hope you will visit us again soon!
Fort Worth, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

I had to select a date, but July 2001 was not available! That's when I stayed at the then-named Sea Grape Motel, on a solo trip one summer. I absolutely loved the beach atmosphere of this place, the proximity to the beach, and the large room for the great price. I felt very safe there, and even did something I rarely do, swim in the motel pool! I loved the kitchenette; as I recall, I think they supplied the utensils and pots and pans (if they didn't, then I must have rented a kit). Even though one of my main missions for the trip to SPI was to eat at fresh seafood restaurants, I did take advantage of cooking meals in the kitchette.
As I was making plans to return this summer, I was searching for Sea Grape Motel and was heartbroken I couldn't find it until I saw it's new name, the South Beach Inn! It appears to still have that beach atmosphere, and I pray the owners have kept the same ambiance as it had twelve years ago. I have recently experienced some major health issues that may prevent me from returning to this place, but if all works out, I'm going to come celebrate at the South Beach Inn!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
southbeachtexas, Owner at South Beach Inn, responded to this review, May 8, 2013
Thank you for such a wonderful review! I hope we will get the chance to meet, and that you will become an annual guest of South Beach Inn. It still has the beach ambiance. It's still the same great place - very unique and laid back - generally quiet. We are currently installing blackout drapes and pillowtops to the mattresses. We're hoping our guests enjoy the new updates.
Our efficiencies still have the kitchenettes. We have BBQs, free WIFI, and we are pet friendly. Thanks again for the great review, and we hope to meet soon!
Abbeville, South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

This Inn is the best on the Island, user friendly, pet friendly and people friendly. a block from the beach and surroundings are beautiful with tropical setting. The room was perfect, We took advantage of the full kitchen. We went to the dollar tree and got all we needed for our kitchen. Brought our own pots and pans and we were set. The two full size beds were very comfortable. Nice size closet space. Parking at your back door was a bonus. The large picture window lets in plenty of light and sunshine. We bought a tension bar and hung curtains so the evening lights were not a problem. We had only planned to spend a month but we extended it to 2 months. We already have our reservations set to go back. a very quiet and no compaint expereince.
Thank u very much to the owners for a lovely vacation.
Jerry & Maureen Stewart
Abbeville, South Carolina

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
southbeachtexas, Owner at South Beach Inn, responded to this review, April 1, 2013
All I can say to this is "THANK YOU!" And we can't wait to see you this fall. We love our laid-back, return guests!

Been to South Beach Inn? Share your experiences!