“Not terrible” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Econo Lodge

You added Econo Lodge to your Saves list
Econo Lodge
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   3913 Padre Boulevard, South Padre Island, TX 78597 (Formerly South Padre Island Days Inn)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #26 of 33 Hotels in South Padre Island
“Not terrible”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2014

I didn't expect much considering all the poor reviews. It wasn't nearly as bad as the reviews, but it wasn't great. The bed was clean and comfortable. The floors and bathroom were clean. About half the lights didn't work, the door would stick and the furniture needs an update. Staff were friendly.

Stayed October 2014, traveled with friends
Omar P, General Manager at Econo Lodge, responded to this review, 3 weeks ago
We thank you for your response. It is our goal to make every guest experience the exceed expectations. We are constantly making changes to keep our guest happy and provide the best value on the Island. We hope that you return and see what further changes we have made.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Lubbock, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2014

My husband and I went to south padre island for our honey moon, the bathroom walls needed to be painted the toilet made noise all night, breakfast was always limited as well as parking, the staff was not very friendly, every time house keeping would make out room they would either not put towels or something was always missing we tried calling front desk from our room many times to tell them, they wouldn't answer until we called from our own cell phones or actually walked to the front desk! My husband and I tried getting ice we were told by a man very rude that we can only get a little bucket because ice was also limited. I wouldn't recommend this hotel. We checked out on a Friday around 530 am we were told they were out of paper to print us a receipt this was unexceptable. Wifi was not working when we called from desk to reset it, it took them about 1 hour to do so.

Room Tip: I wouldn't recommend this Hotel to anyone I would do a timeshare which is a house you can rent c...
Moline, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2014

Although not anywhere close to being new and sparkly, it was very comfortable and clean. We had a larger king room with a kitchenette. Everything was clean and in working condition. The bed was quite comfy. The "continental breakfast" had only a couple of choices. All in all, it filled the need for a clean, comfortable room after a day at the beach, which was only a short walk away.

Austin, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2014

I'll admit, I chose this hotel because I got a great price. You get what you pay for. The room was dirty and falling apart. The shower barely worked - my daughter and I have long, thick hair and we couldn't get the shampoo out. The breakfast was a joke: mini chocolate donuts and white toast. I know the fact that our neighbors got in a fight and we had to call the front desk to come break it up, is not the fault of the motel. But we weren't there during spring break and thought it would be quieter.
Staff was friendly, helpful and they did break up the fight quickly, but I've learned my lesson. I'll pay $20 more a night for a better place.

Room Tip: If you plan on drinking heavily and passing out, immune to the noises of the other loud guests, any...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
San Antonio, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2014

I was going to put my resent stay with the hotel down as a bad experience because I just don’t think I can articulate in words how disgusted I was during our stay, however since they billed my credit card after I have already paid through hotels.com I have to enlighten others on our adventure. Upon our arrival at 5PM our room wasn’t ready so we went out to eat and walk the beach. Upon our late return we were ready for a hot shower and bed. While my wife was in the shower I unpacked my overnight bag, upon placing my empty bag on the shelf of the towel holder it fell off of the wall. When I was in the shower my wife turned back the bedding to reveal blood stained spots 6-8 inches in diameter and black dog hair everywhere. I think they had been washed but they were still disgusting. She called the desk, no answer, therefore she walked to the office and spoke with the attendant. After 45 minutes of waiting my wife called again, no answer, so down the hall she went. The attendant apologized for forgetting. The sheets were delivered about 15 minutes later and we made the bed. I digress to when I was in the shower I flipped the lid to the toilet and there was streaks of something on it. Definitely not sanitary but we were tired. I left the lid up and figured they would clean it the next day. Our breakfast turned into cereal and donuts from a six pack. We left the room early the Thursday morning and headed to Brownsville. Hit everything and watched the Dallas game that night. Upon return there were no towels. 10PM no towels, 11PM retrieved our own towels out of the dryer, midnight there was a knock on the door with towels. Did I mention that the feces streaks were still on the toilet lid? The next day we had an early show for a fishing trip so I called to get a wake up, but no one answered the phone. Are you seeing a trend? The clock radio was too crusted over to set. All-in-all this is by far the worst hotel we’ve ever stayed and we’ve traveled the world. Never once did the desk attendant pick up the phone, the towels were a constant issue, toilet was never cleaned and we continued to find black animal hairs in our bed throughout our stay. You can’t make stuff like this up so check out the pictures. Now to top it off I have been billed by the hotel after I have already paid hotels.com and we discussed this with the desk rep when we checked out. If I hadn’t prepaid I would have left upon arrival, but they had me. I have consulted the hotel via telephone and Econo Lodge corporate website with no resolution. Additionally, I have engaged with hotels.com and filled a discrepancy with my bank for them to intervene on my behalf to resolve the issue. If you want a fun, inexpensive family vacation with friendly people I highly recommend South Padre Island, however I would mark this hotel off your list of potential places to bed down for your stay.

Room Tip: Drive to another hotel
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
San Antonio, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2014

My wife and I arrived 8/3/14 when we got to the Island it was about 2 pm so we stopped by the beach for about 30 minutes and then went to hopefully check in at the hotel, when we got there , there was about 3 other people in front of us, when we got up to the desk we were informed none of the rooms were ready and we would have to come back. So my husband and I went to go check out another hotel since this hotel was really busy and people and kids were just hanging around outside. Since we didnt find another hotel we arrived back at the hotel about 3:35 when we went to the office the line was out the door, about 40 minutes later we got our room, as we walked to our room there were people hanging outside around their room with the door open and chairs outside and kids screaming and no parking, we both just had a bad feeling about this place. When we walked in the room I checked the pillows in which I found 2 hairs on 1 pillow and the pillow cases a yellowish color. My wife and I never sleep inside the sheets we always bring our own blankets and lay one one top so we can sleep on top of our own blanket. Before we went out that night my wife wanted to take a shower, she couldn't get the hot water to work and there was such low water pressure that she had a hard time rinsing her hair. When we went to turn the t.v. on we found no remote and the phone didn't work. Kids were running up and down the stairs and were in the pool until after 3 in the morning. When I woke up I stated that legs were really itching, when I looked at hmy legs I had these wierd bites not like a mosquito bite, after we checked out I noticed bites on my inner arm and ankles. These bites would swell up even larger when I would take a shower. With bed bugs and no sleep or parking I will pay the higher price for a better hotel even though I paid over $91 for the crap I got I will take my money somewhere else!

Oklahoma City
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2014 via mobile

Where to begin.. My mom and I stayed here on our recent visit to SPI.. We were put into a room on the first floor right across from a broken ice machine.. This room was filthy. The floor of the bath tub was flaking away, sheets were dirty. Mom went to complain and we were put into a different room.. This room.. As opposed to the first was mostly carpet instead of tile.. Right when you open the door you are hit with the smell of straight mold and mildew to the point of mom and I having to cover our faces just to get to sleep. Again dirty sheets and every towel had at least 3 long black hairs on them.. Mom and I are both blonde. Disgusting! Toilet did not flush well. Tv is very old. Our key quit working on us 3 times in the 3 nights we were there. I went to the front desk to get it reset and the manager acted like I was a bother to her. Come to find out she was on a personal call. And the continental breakfast is pathetic at best. Cold cereal and you get the milk from a dirty fridge. Toast. Store bought Danishes and once those are gone don't try asking for more because you won't get it. Once they are gone they are gone. Sorry boutcha. Staff is not pleasant or even cordial at that. Priceline should not let anyone bid on this hotel. It is terrible. If you want to enjoy your vaca then do not stay here.

• Stayed July 2014

Been to Econo Lodge? Share your experiences!