“Ok but lacks management attention.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Econo Lodge

Save Saved
You added Econo Lodge to your Saves list
Econo Lodge
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   3913 Padre Boulevard, South Padre Island, TX 78597 (Formerly South Padre Island Days Inn)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #22 of 32 hotels in South Padre Island

99 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Humble
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012

Since it was the off-season, prices were great. The place was very quiet and the pool always available for the same reason. Breakfast was basic, but good quality. The staff was very helpful, suppling a forgotten toothbrush and letting us use the computer to print airline boarding passes.
Would stay here again, especially this time of the year.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Days Inn

Los Angeles, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

Im a small business consultant so one of my clients in South Padre booked me a room at this Days Inn while I stayed on the island and worked with their business.

Well, before departing on my trip I looked over the reviews of the property since I am more accustomed to a nicer "hotel" when im on business, rather than a "motel", and wanted to know what i may or may not be getting myself into...

Let me say, the reviews are almost on par with all that I read here on trip advisor but I would like to make some other comments.

Also, know that most of these low budget motel chain's are owned and operated by franchise owners and the corporate offices have little control over how they are ran or maintained. I wish this wasnt so, in that these motels could be a really pleasant alternative to staying at places with a higher cost like the Hilton, Doubletree, etc, etc, as a quick stop or business option. My stay at the Days Inn went just about how I expected so i wasnt let down and I wasnt impressed but I still wont be staying there again, if I dont have to. The nightly prices at this hotel are SUPER CHEAP and there are many reasons why...

So, let me break it down like this on my review:

South Padre Island:
Padre is pretty much a dump. Its basically a small town. its old. Its cheap looking. Its low quality. Its the same as when I used to come down for spring break trips during college. Literally exactly the same. 10 plus years ago... The stores are run down, the property is run down, EVERYTHING is dated, and most everything could use upgrades. everywhere. Back in college all that didnt matter because your not there to take care of any business or get a nice stay, your there to party. All im saying is, dont go to Padre expecting much of anything to blow your mind on standards of high quality or glitz or glamour or any of that.

so that being said;

The Days Inn Property:
The location is decent. Its in a row of small chain motels (motel 6, Super 8, etc) on the main drag and it has nearby restaurants, fast food, gas stations, bars, clubs, etc.
They say its near the beach, but its on the bay side of the island so you have to walk across the Padre Blvd and through about 3 blocks of residences til you get to any sand. And im not sure if there is actually any public beach access from that area. Alot of the beachfront property is gated so you cant get thru without going to a marked public access area OR going thru a hotel that is open to the public a about a 1/4 mile down the street. Unless there is places to get thru or you can sneak thru, im not sure. I didnt walk it. Best of luck to those who do.

The property is small and is your standard low budget motel chain like the rest of them, motel 6, Super 8, Red Roof, etc.No frills, no high expectations.
The hotel is beat up and worn down inside and out.

The amenities are as follows:
* pool & hot tub - both tiny, old school and surrounded by a huge concrete patio area that takes up most of the tiny parking lot. the pool sits right in the middle of the motel so escaping any noise thats coming from there is almost impossible since all rooms are exposed to the direction the pool noise and parking lot noise will travel.
* laundry area - consists of one coin operated washer and one coin operated dryer. both of which look like they are from the 1980's and are in a tiny room about the size of a closet with no light that worked. I got lost looking for the ice machine and ended up going in there to find some guy sitting on the counter smoking cigarettes in the dark. "oh sorry, excuse me bro, you know where the ice machine is?" He tells me its down there at the other end of the hotel, so off I go. I'll get to that later.
* free continental breakfast - your standard terrible continental breakfast. coffee, 2 juices, 2 cereal options, some tiny cheap donuts, a few slices of bread to make toast, some bagels that looked like they had been sitting there for awhile, some packages of oatmeal. i dont know what else. i looked at it for a moment when checking in and wasnt impressed enough to come back. Its tiny too. just a shelf on the wall inside the lobby.
* FREE WIFI - this is the one thing, i can say i liked about this motel. they gave me a wifi code and it worked the entire time I was there. usually you either have to pay per day to use the wifi or get a different code every other day, OR the signal is crap. luckily due to my room location being right near the front lobby, i got a great connection and was able to stream video, web chat with my other clients, etc. good job on this one, Days Inn.

The Rooms:
I got a room on the second floor, (note: always, ALWAYS, get a room on the second floor. its safer. its more quiet, etc, etc) and my room had the tile flooring in it as opposed to the dirty carpet as other people have commented on.
The room itself was clean but was indeed old and outdated. i had a king bed room and the room was actually really big and had a small pull out couch sleeper in it as well. The a/c blew cold air just fine and didnt smell funky or moldy. The furniture was in good shape overall and there was a small desk and chair as well. again, nothing fancy but practical. The king bed was pretty comfortable and the sheets were clean but obviously beat up as I could see tiny stains in some of the pillowcases and the comforter and under blanket had a few rips and tears in them.

The bathroom was clean and the sink/dressing area was clean overall. Still a bit of grime here and there from over the years but nothing filthy.
Oh, towels! Yes, THEY HAVE MINIMAL TOWELS PEOPLE. This is true and I actually laughed when I walked into my room. After reading about the people who didnt have towels or couldnt get towels, the same thing happened to me. Walked in my room and boom, no towels anywhere. No wash cloths, No bathmat, no nothing. I asked for some and they didnt get them to me until the next evening.
Luckily, i always pack one towel when i travel just in case. I finally got 2 towels the next day but no bathmat or washcloths, then the second day they left my dirty towels in my room to reuse and brought me a bathmat, then the third day i still had my dirty towels and dirty bathmat but they brought me ONE clean washcloth, THEN the fourth day I still had all my dirty towels and bathmat, but my washcloth was gone and they had brought me 4 handtowels. Yea, i dont get it either. I guess other people needed to use that wash cloth so they traded me that for the hand towels? :-S

The rooms have a small microwave and mini fridge which i always appreciate in a motel room. both worked fine but i felt like the mini fridge didnt get quite cold enough so i wouldnt keep food in there for long.
The TV's need serious updating. I mean, Motel 6 has flat screens in every room now, why not Days Inn? These tv's are old school tube tv's (i think mine was 27") and the cable gets about 12 channels, 7 or 8 of which are Spanish channels...

Other:

Roaches - i didnt see any roaches and I had quite a bit of late night food laying around til morning. I guess I got a good room or something. Most times bugs are more prominent on ground level floors anyway.

There was only one working ice machine on one end of the property. The mysterious smoking man who pointed me in the right direction made sure I found it, as he pointed out that i cant miss it since its by the only coke machine on the premises as well. Oh yea, they have a coke machine. great.

OVERALL:

i wont be back to this hotel but it wasnt a terrible stay. It was poor quality but if you need a place to crash and you have to save some coin then go for it. I found out later how cheap this place was and its one of the cheapest prices ive seen in awhile. Now i know why.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business

Been to Econo Lodge? Share your experiences!