“Febuary 2014” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Inn at South Padre

Save Saved
You added The Inn at South Padre to your Saves list
The Inn at South Padre
2.0 of 5 Resort   |   1709 Padre Boulevard, South Padre Island, TX 78597 (Formerly Howard Johnson Inn and Resort - South Padre Island)   |
Ranked #20 of 33 hotels in South Padre Island
Norman, Oklahoma
“Febuary 2014”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2014

We were 5 minutes from the beach. Ocean was beautiful. All area recreation was close to the hotel. I would recomend breakfast somewhere else. Valentines Day was celebrated on the beach. Our friends were in Harlengen forty five minutes away, so we vi sted them

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple

39 people have reviewed this hotel

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Waco, Texas, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2013

I reviewed this hotel once after a not so great experience and we were ultimately offered another stay by management. This review will address my 2nd most recent stay.This used to be a Howard Johnson but is now owned by a local real estate company. This is a lower average hotel. It is run down, but clean. The staff is great. I love a hot breakfast, but I think they may use powdered eggs. They tasted weird both times I have stayed here and the selection of continental items is below standard (wheat bread, plain bagels, assortment of cold cereal, no muffins/pastries or yogurt). The pool area is beautiful. I've stayed here during the summer and winter and the bird sounds are just awesome! I read many reviews that talked about roaches. I saw a small dead one on the bathroom floor during this stay, and didn't see any at all during my first. You can definitely see how this hotel has been scarred by some partiers and is in desperate need of updating and repair. Bottom line, if you need a good sized room and a nice pool but you're on a strict budget, get an internet rate and enjoy the cheap cost and friendly staff.

Room Tip: Get an upper floor room on the bayside for a nice view.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Edinburg, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2013

My wife and I spent two nights at South Padre recently during the Sand Castle sculpture competition. We normally visit SP during the week to avoid the weekend crowds, However this competition was scheduled for a Friday and Saturday so we chose a hotel on the bay or lagoon side of the island. The Inn at South Padre turned out to be just what we wanted. We arrived on Friday evening and when we checked in the hotel was almost empty. As usual we had requested a top floor room and after chatting with the ladies at the check-in was upgraded to a room with a jacuzzi. Although I am not a jacuzzi fan, I never pass up an upgrade. One of the features I like about this hotel is that it is oriented north/south which means none of the rooms get direct east/west sun which can really heat up a room in south Texas. When we drove over to Clayton's to inspect the sand sculptures we noticed all the highly rated hotels were full or filling and I remarked that average is sometimes better. The Inn included a complimentary full service breakfast with eggs and bacon and lots of coffee. It also has its own trolley stop just out the door where we caught a free trolley over to the Port Isabel Lighthouse. The trolley takes you all over the island (including by Clayton's) and hits designated stops on the half hour. By the time we got back to The Inn at noon on Saturday it had filled up with a wedding party but they were nice people except for a few smokers who missed the non-smoking signs in the hotel. Overall we enjoyed our trip to average hotel with above average amenities for less money and more relaxation.

Room Tip: I always pick the top floor in any hotel with an elevator.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Jefferson City, MO
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013

I wish I could report that this was a fine, if older, hotel. Sadly, I cannot. Within minutes of checking in the pungent aroma of mold hit me. I would have stayed but for what happened next. A roach came out and looked at us as if to say "who invited you?" We checked out. My daughter and son were both staying there too. My daughter tried to tough it out, but woke up with a roach in her hair! She checked out. My son lasted one more night but on check out had to report an encounter of the buggy kind to management.

The people were nice about it. But when someone says "yeah, it's getting wet outside and hey come in this time of year" it shows a willingness to co-exist with vermin that I do not share. If you don't want to pack Raid, I'd go somewhere else.

Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013 via mobile

1st there is a weird smell in hotel as soon as you walk in. Smell is coming from carpet in hotel. It definitely needs to be replace. Rooms are okay nice and big but outdated. It good use some new furniture. Overall it's average.

• Stayed September 2013
Chandler, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

We stopped in for the night and found it a great place to relax. This is a small hotel but I was impressed with the pool and the breakfast. They had free breakfast with waffles, eggs, sausage and other regular items. Upon check-in I asked for the best internet rate and got $40 off for each night. The only downside is that they do have water bugs that loo like large cockroaches. I think because they are on the humid Island these bugs happen to be there. If they don't bother you then you will be fine but you will see them. The Manager showed me their book showing they exterminate every month. If I go back to Padre I will stay here. It is an older hotel but for families on a budget it has a small resort feel and the water is just a couple of blocks away. There is a lot to do for families within walking distance like go-carts, seafood buffet, and other things. It made for a lovely vacation.

Room Tip: Get closest to pool.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Waco, Texas, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

The hotel room was not as it was described on the website. It did not have a sleeper sofa, the jacuzzi tub knobs were broken off and the room was filthy. On the plus side, the pool area was nice and the staff was super friendly. Still, it wasn't worth the price and I won't ever stay here again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Been to The Inn at South Padre? Share your experiences!