“Great Get Away Weekend” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 2 Seguin B&B and Inns
Victoria, Texas
“Great Get Away Weekend”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2013

Needed peace and quiet for a couple of days, away from hubbie, cell phone, telephone and every other type of life interaction there is. When I arrived I was pleasantly surprised by the outside of the house, very attractive and inviting. Upon stepping inside, I was greeted by one of the staff who helped me carry my luggage up the stairs to a room that was beautifully appointed with period antiques. After settling in, I went downstairs and met the innkeeper who was a fountain of information about the history of the house, activities in the area, where to get a bite to eat for dinner and how to obtain breakfast in the morning. I returned to my room where I enjoyed a peaceful jacuzzi soak and quiet reading time. Breakfast the next morning was beyond awesome. Fench toast to die for, eggs cooked to perfection, Sunday's breakfast was a German pancake, light and covered with fruit compote. Left the table fully satisfied after enjoying some conversation with the other guests.

Seguin is a quaint town on its way back from the downward spiral that all towns have experienced. It offered unique gift shopping, a small art gallery, a musuem filled with local historical information and a review of the local newspaper showed a calendar of activities for every weekend and lots of the weekdays. Local dining was a bit limited but I was able to get my dinner needs met without much hassle.

The dogs that were part of the owner's hobby were not a problem at all. Never seen, smelled or heard them until I asked to go out to the backyard to visit. I wish more businesses would incorporate an active social welfare program into their daily business, what a great world this would be.

Will definitely be back, planning on coming for the Taste of Seguin celebration event and bringing my husband this time. Visiting to other areas of interest is just a short drive from this central location.

Thanks for such a wonderful experience.

Room Tip: For Value choose the Seguin room for romance either the New Orleans or Grand will fill your fantasy.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo

29 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Atlanta, Georgia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

We love bed and breakfast inns, but this visit was disappointing. The innkeeper was out running errands when we arrived and the greeter did not offer us any introduction to the inn. She did not know if breakfast was available. She just gave us a key and told us the room was upstairs. The guest room was very dark with heavy draperies. The lighting was totally inadequate. The sink was stopped-up and would not drain. In the morning the shower was cold. We learned that the hot water was on a timer and did not come on until later. The inn had an un-inviting smell. At breakfast we learned that the owner rescued dogs (which is very kind). The inn currently housed 30 dogs. There were also bowls of dog kibble on the counter where our breakfast was being prepared.

Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
wittygirl99, Owner at Mosheim Mansion, responded to this review, May 2, 2013
I am very sorry that the visit was unsatisfactory for this guest. We try to make the description of our property, rescue operation and check-in policies perfectly clear. We assume that guests refer to the website description of the inn and read our check-in policies before they make a reservation. I think that is fair. Our dog rescue is prominently displayed and is a draw for many guests who support our work. The dogs' facilities are adjacent to the B&B, not in the B&B. Our check-in policy asks that guests notify us of if they wish to check-in early or late for the very reason that we may be out running errands related to the business and unable to check them in personally etc. We use the time when most guests are absent from the inn to do jobs such as bleach floors and reseal tile etc which must be done from time to time and the scent can be unpleasant to some people. That is why we do it when we expect people are gone. Everything, including the little dog dish for my dachshund must be off the office floor. it may have been set somewhere in the vicinity of the kitchen since the kitchen is huge and open to several other rooms including my office. Our hot water is not on a timer. However an outside contractor would not know this. Sometimes it may take a minute to get hot. but there is no shortage of hot water. I am a live in owner so I am pretty much available 24 hours a day and will give the history of the house and such to anyone who would like to know it. Our B&B staff can address most questions and we have a book on the history of the house for those who would like to peruse. Anything such as a slow sink will be addressed immediately upon our notification, Someone is working on the sink as I am writing this.
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

I like the Mosheim Mansion. I don't visit B&Bs very often, but if they're all like this, then I'm a fan. Let me tell you about what you're going to get:

The best part is, the building is beautiful on the inside. It's almost museum quality, filled with antiques and artwork. The whole place feels very Victorian and authentic and it's really quite special. The second best part? The food! I'm telling you, you will rarely have a better breakfast (or a better mimosa...). Great food, lots of options, beautiful dining room... Those are the reasons to visit Mosheim in my opinion.

Now the less-good stuff. There's no nice way to put this: Seguin is boring, and the locale surrounding the mansion is borderline ugly. There's an abandoned concrete slab next door and a rough-looking parking lot and some warehouses across the street. Not a deal breaker, but make sure you're visiting to see the historic interior of the building rather than to enjoy a sweeping vista. The vista is not sweeping. Furthermore, the grounds of the mansion aren't tended very carefully. The grass is patchy, and the view from my window included come pallets and an old car seat (and the aforementioned concrete slab).

You're only a short drive from New Braunfels, so that's where my focus would be in terms of where to spend your time outside the mansion. Take a drive, get out into the hills, and all will be well. I also strongly recommend the Blue Lotus Winery, which is run by a fabulous young couple and is right nearby. Great wines, wonderful meads!

Overall, I think it's worth a look. Just make sure you know what you're getting into! Oh, and it's also a dog rescue. So be prepared for the sound of a dozen dogs saying hello (don't worry- they don't stay up late).

Cheers and safe travels-
Patty

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Sulphur Springs, Texas, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2012

Booked one night in one of the lower priced rooms since we had never been there before. When we arrived Carol made us feel very welcome, and since no one was in the honeymoon suite, and ghost hunters were filming in the original part of the home, she bumped us up to the honeymoon suite. Very very nice. Hot tub in room was amazing as was the comfortable king size bed and bedding. Not to mention the decor. Plan on going back for a weekend when I can antique shop. Passed many shops on the way in from San Marcos. Highly recommend!!!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
vacationfamily3
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2012

First of all, the mansion is grand and decorated perfectly Victorian. The B&B is the place to stay in Seguin. The owner, Carol is 5 star herself, throw in the fact that she cooks amazing and runs a high end B&B it is a SUCCESS! The beds and linens are comfortable and upscale. The Jacuzzi tub was a hit for us during our stay. You must try the German pancake and omelets that Carol makes, delicious. From the welcoming at check in to the goodbye at check out, you will feel you stepped into a family of a dear friends home. If your lucky, you will get to meet the dogs she is helping. They were never an issue. This place is exceptionally clean. I am ready to go back!

Room Tip: We stayed in the San Antonio room but took a tour of all the rooms and every room was amazing!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2012

Carol, the owner, is what makes this mansion so fabulous. We had just about given up on staying in B and B's but Carol was so friendly and made us feel like she had known us for years, staying and chatting after the superb breakfast she had prepared for us. She gave us a very reasonable rate on the rooms. There were five of us - two adults and three kids and we all had a blast staying here. The kids loved the french toast and chocolate chip pancakes. They also enjoyed seeing the puppies. They do have quite a few dogs as they run a rescue, but we never heard or saw the dogs except when she was showing us the puppies. Highly recommend this place - we will be back!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2012

This is a WONDERFUL place to stay! I highly recommend this for couples. We stayed for a last minute weekend getaway and were very impressed. The mansion is very true to the pictures on their website. It is beautifully decorated. What I loved most about it was the fact that is felt as welcoming as grandma's house! Carol talks to you like you have known her for years, instead of as someone she has just met. She is the perfect B&B host. We stayed in the Seguin room. I most certainly want to go back here.

I also must address the dog rescue issue as mentioned in previous posts....
Why would you be upset over dogs in a B&B when it is MENTIONED ON THEIR WEBSITE!!??
It's not a secret, not a surprise. I knew when I booked my room that it was a dog rescue. So shouldn't I go expecting not only dogs, but dogs that have been RESCUED!? Which should mean they are not going to be the healthiest dogs? They were RESCUED for a reason. Use common sense. If you are allergic to dogs or do not like dogs, then of course, do not stay here. If you don't mind seeing a couple dogs, and hearing an occasional bark...then no worries. Also the dogs are not just roaming around all over the mansion. They have their very own designated places, and in no way interfere with the guests.

Breakfast - SIMPLY AMAZING!!!
Carol is a fabulous cook! I couldn't believe all of the options to chose from in the morning.

Stay at the Mosheim Mansion....you will not be disappointed.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Mosheim Mansion? Share your experiences!