“Very quiet, friendly & relaxing...” 5 of 5 stars

You added Mosheim Mansion to your Saves list
Mosheim Mansion
4.0 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   409 N. Austin Street, Seguin, TX 78155   |
Ranked #1 of 2 Seguin B&B and Inns
“Very quiet, friendly & relaxing...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2012

We arrived at the mansion as a late check-in and were greeted by the owner on the front porch. She gave us a quick tour and showed us to our room. Everything was very clean and there were beautiful antique pieces without making it feel cluttered. The bed was super comfy and breakfast each morning was delicious. Some previous reviews voiced concerns about the puppy rescue... We barely heard the dogs and they stayed in the back of the house and the backyard and were not allowed in the guest areas at all. We went for a quiet getaway and that us exactly what we had!

• Stayed June 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
St. Louis, MO
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2012

You stay at a bed and breakfast for a reason, be it a change of pace or love of historic detail. At the Mosheim, you will find both. The rooms are spacious and eloquently decorated.Beds were comfortable and bathrooms were spotless. It is more the service that would keep you coming back. Carol is a blessing and a gracious host. It is not the least expensive place in Seguin, but I guarantee it is the most memorable.

Room Tip: For a family of four, choose the Marion Suite. Pocket doors add privacy.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2012 via mobile

Can't wait to return!  Had a fabulous time.  The food was amazing! Get the
German Pancake because it is awesome!  I loved our room. ( The New Orleans).
Really gorgeous antique bed.  I notice one reviewer hated the dogs.  I came
partly because I like dogs and the idea of the rescue.  I have to wonder why
someone would make a reservation at a place that ADVERTISES it has a dog rescue
if the mere sight of the sad rescued animals is gross to them?  You kind of have
to go out of your way or ask to see the dogs.  They aren't just running around
the house. Anyway,  I thought the place was beautiful and quiet and I can't wait
to come back.  I'm also glad there are kind people taking care of God's
creatures who have suffered so much.If you want a beautiful mansion, great rooms and killer food, go visit the Mosheim Mansion!

• Stayed March 2012
austin,tx
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2012

great breakfast, comfy bed, and spectacular service. downside, there isn't anything to do in seguin. also, if you want a budget friendly place this is not it. It is quite pricey especially on the weekends.

Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Houston, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2011

Let's call this review "The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly"...

THE GOOD: Absolutely beautiful inside this mansion. We stayed in the Grand Suite, but since they had no other guests, we looked in the other rooms, and all were lovely. Fantastic breakfast. Carol was very friendly and gave us a free bottle of wine when we checked in.

THE BAD: Not making this up - they run a dog rescue (mostly Doxens) out of this place. We counted at least a dozen (nine inside) dogs, but the incessant barking made it sound like hundreds. By definition, these dogs were previously mistreated. Some were in cages (inside) because they had the mange. Another had an awful looking bloody eye. Three of them were in the kitchen with her while she was cooking (isn't that a health code violation?). I'm sure you can imagine how all those dogs might affect a person with allergies. There was a trip to Walgreen's for medicine and kleenex. Also, do not ever make the mistake of booking the Grand Suite. It has double doors (closeable) that open over the main area below. It mentions this on the web site, so I specifically called and asked about the noise issue. I was assured that it poses no problem. Nothing could be further from the truth. Forget about the constantly barking dogs, we could hear ordinary conversations from below. Needless to say, that did not put my wife in the mood for us to make use of the whirlpool tub, if you know what I mean...

THE UGLY: This part is just strange. When we pulled up, the front looked awful - lawn a wreck, weeds a foot high. Does not make a good first impression. Very odd, since the inside of the mansion is so beautiful.

We went there for our wedding anniversary (mid-December, 2011). After two nights of little sleep (even with ear plugs the 2nd night), we fled the premesis the second morning without even waiting for breakfast. To their credit, they only charged us for one night after we complained. If you subtracted the dogs and stayed in a different suite, this place would be incredible. Unfortunately, that was not our experience.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
North Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2011

We were greeted by the wonderful Inn Keeper, Carol. Upon arrival she offered us wine. She was very charming the full time. Any questions or concerns we had, she handled with grace and confidence.

Rooms: The rooms were decorated very tastefully and were very comfortable. They each had their own thermostat and ceiling fan. To bring the air temperature down quicker there was a window unit - a very nice touch. In our 110 degree Texas weather the room did a good job of bringing the air down - not fantastic (like a well insulated powerful a/c in a hotel room) but it brought it down to 70 at the coolest time (early in the morning) and 75 during the day. I am an extremely hot-natured person and the air kept me comfortable. I still prefer a super chilly room like you can get in a hotel but this was fine and definitely cool at night. The rooms have a small TV that is hooked up to DirectTV satellite service and a DVD player. Most of the rooms have Jacuzzi tubs in the room, but we stayed in the least expensive Emma suite, which had a private shower across the hall. Even though this was the least expensive room, we thoroughly enjoyed it and it was very comfortable. One of the rooms was not occupied so Carol told us we could use the tub in that room if we ever wanted a bath instead of a shower. There is one room that is over the dog kennels (as one reviewer noted). It is the San Antonio suite. If you are a super light sleeper - like me, don't sleep in that room. If you have a partner that snores it will muffle the sound of the dogs. They are not that loud and do not bark all of the time. All of the rooms have fair amount of curtains so you can block out the morning sun.

Breakfast - Carol made the most amazing breakfasts. She would ask what time we wanted breakfast, and she would even deliver it to our door if we wanted to we could have breakfast in our room. The first morning we had the best french toast I've ever had, yummy crispy bacon, fluffy and moist scrambled eggs and fruit. The second we had dutch baby (or German) pancakes. They were so wonderful I plan to make them a staple in my house. So delicious! The last day we had sausage patties, eggs, and pancakes with fruit. Miss Carol is a wonderful cook.

Ambiance - Carol was such a great hostess and her and her husband did such a wonderful job restoring this mansion and appointing just the right touches in decorating. She has a very rich personality. She also offered us a glass of wine (or three) at night... which was a nice touch for parents who never really get to sit and unwind like we need to. Carol's special touches really made this bnb a 5 star place to stay. My 4 year old came on the last day and Carol was very sweet with her. She let my daughter play with her very sweet dogs, made her a delicious breakfast, and showed her such kindness - like you would hope a family member would act with your child. I just can't get over the how wonderful the hospitality was and I will be back :)

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2011

The service here was beyond superb! The rooms were very nice with lots of history for a very affordable price. We especially enjoyed the New Orleans room (we also stayed in the San Antonio). Location is not the best, but is very close to New Braunsfels where there are plenty of places to eat. The breakfast was great and Carol, the hostess, was always so cordial and entertaining. Our favorite her breakfast were her German pancakes! Overall it was a great place to stay, perfect ending for our 4th Anniversary. I highly recommend this place!

PS. The dogs are adorable and DON'T rule the house. They bark in the morning but it's an audible whisper.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family

Been to Mosheim Mansion? Share your experiences!