“Best Mexican in Town” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Mexican
DSergi
“Best Mexican in Town”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2014

While I have eaten at almost every Tex-Mex joint in town the newly renamed Don Lorenzos' is the gold standard for fresh home made Tex-Mex. The Green sauce is amazing and the Bobcat Tacos are a breakfast best.

Visited March 2014

california
“Perfect”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2014

J and L is located in a pleasant neighborhood just south of downtown - off the beaten path a few blocks. They have another name on the sign outside but this is the place. It's cute and the food was scrumptious. I had the beef enchiladas and they were tasty and tender with that little salad I like and these smiling happy waitresses that were laughing and treating everyone that came in as if they were family. I could hear them all giggling in the kitchen, too. I like this type of atmosphere.

The food was served hot and good and was cheap, too. It was too much for me so I brought my leftovers home.

It is simple and clean inside and they made me feel like I was in somebody's home. I can't wait to bring my family and friends here.

• Visited January 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Corpus Christi, Texas
“Great Place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2013

Great place to eat, with a warm friendly feeling. They are consistently refilling coffee or tea. Everyone seems to always be in a good mood. The owner, which is the daughter of Don Lorenzo, is friendly and always making you feel welcome. Food is fantastic, with fresh homemade tortillas and tamales. I don't have a complaint about any dish they serve. Highly recommed this restaurant.

• Visited November 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Great Down-to-Earth Place, Authentic & Yummy Food!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

At first blush, J&L Mexican Restaurant doesn't look like much--a small parking lot on the edge of a residential neighborhood. However, that small parking lot was packed, and we along with a few other families were waiting for a late-lunch spot to open up. J&L has a homey atmosphere with old-school Mexican music playing in the background and where the wait staff is very friendly and helpful, albeit super busy during lunch. The complimentary chips and salsa were excellent as were the chicken tacos we ordered. The cost per plate was very reasonable and the portions were more than sufficient. We had a late lunch with family--mom, brother, sister and a couple of little nephews--everyone really enjoyed what they ordered and we were able to chat comfortably without having to scream at each other to be heard. There were a couple of times where we had to remind our waitress to bring something or other that we'd ordered, but it was perfectly understandable considering how busy they were even until about 2:00 p.m. We had a great lunch and will undoubtedly go back next time we visit family in Texas!

• Visited March 2013