“Rude staff and many water leaks.” 2 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Book early and Save 15%
Ranked #4 of 28 Hotels in San Marcos
Texas
“Rude staff and many water leaks.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013 via mobile

RUDE STAFF ALERT!!!! DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY.
So, we got a king size room for 5 of us (180$ a night) looked like a great room, got in there and found that the ceiling was leaking onto the bed and the outlet. They were out of blankets&pillows. The lady was also rude about it saying "she got none,so don't ask." That night it rained, the rain came in through the window and into the ac unit. We could smell and see mold that formed in the unit. So in the morning we went downstairs and talked to the manager about changing rooms/getting some money back. He said he could only help us by taking off the 15$ a night rollaway bed....... He was acting like this was not a new problem and that this has happened before. He sent someone up to fix the ac unit,then the next morning it was leaking again. Oh and the food isn't that great either. So don't waste your money on a crummy room,food and rude employees.

• Stayed July 2013
Carlson Hotels C, Online Customer Support at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson San Marcos, Texas, responded to this review, August 2, 2013
Thank you for reaching out and writing your review. We are sorry you were not satisfied with the accommodations of your room or the service you received. We will discuss the conditions of your room with hotel management to ensure all guest rooms are up to Country Inns and Suites standards and to ensure that the service issues do not arise again. To discuss your stay further, please contact Corporate Customer Care.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Cuero, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

The hotel was well worth the money. Free breakfast - not just cereal - clean and spacious room - beautiful lobby...and the beds were so comfortable. In fact, I'm calling to see what type of mattress because it was so comfortable. Front desk employee was very friendly and so were the other employees we talked to.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Ft. Worth, TX
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

This was my first experience at a "Carlson" hotel and I likely won't ever stay at one again. The hotel was nice, lobby was inviting but first time we tried to check in (at 2:20 when official check in time is 3:00) the front desk guy told us they had no rooms available and told us to come back. I had just driven 4 hours and was hot and tired and wanted to freshen up to go shopping at the Outlets...which was our ONLY reason for the trip. So we went shopping and when we finally checked-in at 6:00 p.m. a different person was even more unfriendly, did not greet me, did not smile at me, and seemed rude when I asked her if anyone had turned in a coupon pouch I think I left earlier. She did not ask me for my DL, license plate or any other security measures. Given that this hotel is directly off a major freeway and not in the nicest area of town, you'd think they would be a little more conscientious of security measures. But even worse than the front desk staff was the AC in our room. It rattled as if it was loose from the wall and it did not cool the room. When I turned it cooler, it sounded like a symphony of bullfrogs. I did not bother calling maintenance as I didn't want to wait around for them and we were only in there for a short time before going to dinner. When we got back at 10:00 p.m. it was too late and after a LONG day of driving and shopping, all we wanted to do was hop in bed. Luckily neither myself nor my friend are deterred by rattling and humming as we both have husbands who snore loudly so we just dealt with it. However, the next morning, it sounded like children above us were doing gymnastics and at one point, I actually looked up at the ceiling thinking someone was going to fall through. NEGATIVES: Rude/unfriendly front desk staff, broke down AC, no security measures that I could see, off a major freeway/rundown part of town, no insulation or barrier between floors or hallways to help with noise buffering, and one waffle iron at breakfast for about 50 people. POSITIVES: Clean rooms, nice linens, comfy beds and pillows, great water pressure on shower, inviting lobby. I would not stay there ever again. We heard a woman RAVE about the Embassy Suites but the rooms were about $50 more a night...but I think I'll pay the extra money next time...or just pick a cheaper hotel because I could have stayed at a Motel 6 and gotten better service and quieter room.

Room Tip: If you choose to stay here, request a room on the 4th floor at the END of the hallway so no-one woul...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Pablo P, Front Office Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson San Marcos, Texas, responded to this review, July 6, 2013
We apologize for the disappointing service you received from the staff. We want to make sure our guests are comfortable and receive the best service. We have hired additional houskeeping staff to ensure we have some rooms available for check in 3 hours prior to check in time. Our front desk staff has also been instructed to highlight the mandatory areas of the registration form. I would like to personally apologize for the AC issues, and regret that we were not informed of the opportunity to fix your AC problem. To discuss your concerns further, please feel free to contact;

Pablo G. Palomino
Front Office Manager
Country Inn & Suites by Carlson
512-392-8111 ext. 603
pablo.p@countryinns.com
Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

The hotel is very nice outside and has an impressive lobby. The evening front desk staff was not welcoming or customer service oriented, but that usually doesn't bother me. Our room was a little less than I expected for the price, and needed some attention with marks on the walls and some small stains on the curtains, but that is usually not too upsetting to me. We had a large stain on the sheets, so my wife called the front desk to ask for more. They told us to come to the front desk and get another sheet since the housekeeping personnel were gone for the day. Again, an apology would be nice or some sort of customer service training would be better. We left and after getting home my wife discovered we'd left our Sonicare toothbrush in the room, so we called back. They said housekeeping had probably thrown it away since it was just a toothbrush. We explained it was a $100 toothbrush with base, not just a small toothbrush, but they said again it was probably thrown away. They said they would call us back, and we never heard from them. Country Inn sent me a survey an I filled it out and was disappointed when the e-mailed response was a form letter about how they always want to improve customer service. There are many other hotels in the area I would try before staying here again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2013

This hotel is very nice and well worth the money. Front desk clerk was very polite and helpful. Lobby was very nice and didn't feel like a hotel, more like a nice upscale home. Pool was awesome had well had hot tub. Room were spacious and new. Large flat screen tv was a nice touch and made watching my favorite sports team very nice. Over all very happy with my stay and will use them again in the future.

• Stayed May 2013
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2013 via mobile

Not a bad hotel but they don't have cable and the beds aren't that great and the A/C doesn't cool the room enough. I don't think that this hotel is worth the money the charge. The La Quinta is about the same and cheaper and they give you cable. Won't be back.

• Stayed May 2013
Pablo P, Front Office Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson San Marcos, Texas, responded to this review, May 21, 2013
On behalf of our entire staff at Country Inns & Suites we apologize for the concerns you shared about your experience at this hotel. I assure you we are working diligently to ensure a similar situation does not occur again in the future.
We appreciate the feedback and will use it to fine tune our operations in the hope that upon your next visit we can exceed your expectations. If you need to discuss your experience further please feel free to contact the hotel directly or email us at pablo.p@countryinns.com .

Pablo G. Palomino
Front Office Manager
Country Inn & Suites by Carlson
512-392-8111 ext. 603
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013 via mobile

I admit the ONLY reason I booked this hotel was because my daughters dance team was staying here and it was the only rooms left in town. So I didn't expect much. I couldn't have been more surprised or empressed !!! Very clean, nicely decorated, extremely friendly staff, huge room and even got a free upgrade. Breakfast was good too. I would definetly stay here again, but this time it would be my FIRST choice!

• Stayed March 2013

Been to Country Inn & Suites By Carlson San Marcos, Texas? Share your experiences!