“Horrible guest services policy” 1 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Book early and Save 15%
Ranked #4 of 28 Hotels in San Marcos
Austin, Texas
“Horrible guest services policy”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2011

No refund? Even when reservations cancelled 6 weeks in advance? Surely they could rebook that room during that period. And to not refund because the price was "exceptionally low" when in fact it was higher than their published rates? Won't be going here and I recommend anyone else avoid it also.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Mexico City
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2010

We stayed a week before Thanksgiving, staff was nice and hotel is in good conditions, but not excellent.
Some things we didn't like:
They had a nice pool/whirlpool areas, it could be perfect to relax after shopping all day but it was not clean (there was a ball of hair next to the pool and next day it was still there!)
They had a list with prices they'll charge if you steal something from the room (not very welcoming...)
Breakfast is not great; muffins, bagel and coffee are fine but the hot dishes are awful.
I tried to use the business center once, and one computer didn't had Internet and the printer on the other one wasn't working.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
San Antonio, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2010

Our stay was basically average - a no frills option. Not alot of service, but as other reviewers have said, that is to be expected of this type of hotel. The hotel seems to be clean, and the rooms are spacious and comfortable. Unfortunately, our first floor room was incredibly noisy (a wedding party just down the hall, with kids playing in the hallway into the nighttime hours, didn't help) and had a moldy, musty smell to it. But the bed was comfortable and the breakfast was enough to tide us over. If we were going through San Marcos again and needed an inexpensive option, we might stay here again but would probably request an upper floor.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Buenos Aires, Argentina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2010

After an extended business trip, I took two days to shop at the San Marcos Prime Outlets and this hotel was an excellent choice for just that. No frills, spartan service and a lot of do it yourself but that is to be expected of this type of hotel. Rooms are very clean, good showers and abundant hot water, good AC system... all in all, I would stay here again at under $100 a night - a great experience.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
McKinney, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2010

We stayed at the hotel while attending a college preview day at Texas State University. We have stayed at other hotels in San Marcos when travelling to the area to float the rivers. We tried Country Inn since we were doing a quick trip down there and would only be there one night.
FIRST IMPRESSIONS
The hotel appeared to be clean when we first arrived. The lobby and the breakfast area were clean and appeared to be maintained well. The front desk staff were courteous and professional and took care of us quickly. On the way to our room I peeked in at the indoor pool area. It looked well cared for and there were a couple of families with little kids in the pool. The business center was small and somewhat cramped but I wasn't there for business so I did not mind so much. When we got to the room in looked fine. The room had very high ceilings and echoed a bit but seemed to be clean when we first opened the door.
REALITY SETS IN...
After getting into the room we noticed an odd smell in the room. It wasn't horribly strong but it was pervasive in the room (I'll tell you what it smelled like later). We wiped down the door handles and other surfaces that aren't commonly cleaned by hotel staff and noticed the following:
1. There were several live crickets crawling around in the room after we started walking through the room and caused them to scurry from around a light
2. Near the front door were ground up cricket parts that had not been vaccuumed (this is when it hit me what the smell was -- I went to college in Commerce, TX and every fall crickets would descend on the school like a biblical plague and the stench from cruched crickets in the parking lot was horrible)
3. In the bathroom I found mouse droppings (don't tell my wife, I didn't mention this to her)
4. No one at the hotel must ever bother to move the arm chair they have stuch in the corner when cleaning because several dead crickets (and other goodies) were found behind the chair (it was like an Easter egg hunt I tell you!).
WHAT WE DID ABOUT IT...
On our way out to go grab some dinner I told the front desk staff and asked them to please vaccuum and spray frebreeze or air freshener in the room. They guy at the counter asked what was wrong with the room and I told him about the crickets. He smiled and politely told me "Yes, this is cricket season and they are all over the place." I asked him if the they could take of it for us. He asked if we were leaving and I told them that we would be gone for about an hour. (About 45 minutes AFTER we got back and settled in to crash and watch ball game someone shows up with a broom and dust pan and a Frebreeze bottle -- better late than never). The apparently don't have a vaccuum after 6PM.
TO TOP IT OFF...
There was someone, I suspect the GM of the hotel based on the name attached to responses to other comments, who darn near blocked in my car while unloading stuff and carrying it into the hotel. I would have thought that there would have been a service entrance where this guy could have left his car but maybe not. Another nice touch would have been for his wife to have moved the car instead just staring at me like I was going to hit there car while trying to back out of the parking spot.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2010

My husband and I came down for parents weekend at Texas State University in San Marcos, and wanted a convenient and CLEAN hotel to stay at. What I run into more than anything is the lack of cleanliness in chain hotels, but this one was up to par. I don't know if it had been recently renovated or just fairly new, but everything was in great shape. We got a suite, and it was nice to have a separate room with door to shut out noise if you wanted to go to bed. Also, there is a REAL theromostat, and not just a window unit. If you have a student that is 18 or younger, they can also stay in the room free of charge. The staff was helpful and gracious and the continental breakfast was good but nothing special. I will definitely come and stay again.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Temple, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2010

So we get to the hotel and we get the keys for our room, we get up to the 4th floor as I had booked a suite(the most expensive room in the hotel) and we walked in the room and the mattress and box springs were up against the wall and bedding and sheets piled on the couch. Went back down to the desk to get a different room and were sent to another suite, went to get in the shower which the bathroom was so small I could not even close the door without getting pushed up against the toilet. Went to take a shower and noticed there was horrible looking mold all over the bathroom ceiling.

Sent husband down to get another room and he came back and said they were giving us the room right next door but husband checked it out and same moldy problem in bathroom, I had to check it for myself and it surely was the same problem, unbelievable. Was told by manager its ok, just a drainage issue. GROSS!! Was then placed in a handicap room with bars all over the place and was told would get a 20% discount but when we got our bill the next morning it was not even 10%, room was VERY noisy right next to the highway. Will never stay in another Country Inn "Suite" again...

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
VikashPatel, Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson San Marcos, Texas, responded to this review, May 13, 2011
We appreciate your sharing your comments from you stay with us. We did follow up with Maintenance & the Contractors of the Hotel. We had learned that the fans were not suitable for our Suite Guestrooms. We have replaced several vents & provided better air circulation the Suites. At this time, we are not finding the air circulation to be a problem at our Hotel. Thank you for your business and we look forward to serving you again in the future. Vic Patel, General Manager

Been to Country Inn & Suites By Carlson San Marcos, Texas? Share your experiences!