“superior quality and value” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Wingate by Wyndham San Marcos

You added Wingate by Wyndham San Marcos to your Saves list
Wingate by Wyndham San Marcos
2.5 of 5 Motel   |   108 IH-35 North, San Marcos, TX 78666 (Formerly San Marcos Hotel & Suites)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Plan Ahead, Save 15%
Ranked #5 of 28 Hotels in San Marcos
Fort Worth, Texas
“superior quality and value”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013 via mobile

nice big rooms with comfortable beds, big fluffy towels, excellent quality toiletries, really good variety of choices for breakfast and superb customer service - from front desk, to housekeeping, to breakfast attendants, maintenance and management

• Stayed August 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Amarillo, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

Stayed at San Marcos Hotel & Suites July 2013 for a week. Very clean and good breakfast. The housekeeping staff work extremely hard and do a great job! Even though hotel was full up for the weekend, breakfast items were kept stocked. We will stay again!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Dallas, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

Stayed one night with 2 adults and 1 child. The hotel was a mix of things. Service was excellent except for one slow employee. The breakfast was acceptable although they were slow to refill some of the items. The pool looked pretty good and there were several people using it although our family did not. The beds, bathroom TV etc. were pretty good. The room did seem humid to us even with the A/C turned down low but we didn't have any sneezing going on which likely we would have if it had been an on going issue with the room. My wife has mold allergies and she was fine. The TV was fine. The WiFi however did not work well at all. My wife even talked to the front desk and they gave her a # to call for their provider and she spent 20 minutes on the phone trying different things. Never did get it to work. Disappointing. The fitness center looked fine from what I could tell. The exterior of the hotel looked a bit tired. In summary I would stay again. I shopped and we saved a significant amount over the highly rated hotels in town. If I were to stay over several days I might move up but I was satisfied with what we got here the WiFi being the only downer. Another plus was it is in a good "neighborhood". In the same parking lot as the Hampton, Comfort Suites and a Luby's cafeteria which we ate at for dinner. Overall a 3 1/2 but can't give it a 4.

Room Tip: We were near the exit on the 1st floor and was surprised at how quiet a room we had. I believe it w...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Fort Worth, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

We wanted to stay at the Hampton inn across the street. Unfortunatelly for us, it was full. This hotel was priced the same, so my expectations were that it would be a comparable stay. As soon as I walked in, the first thing that I noticed was a strong smell of a Perfume like chemical. My first thought was that they were trying to mask the smell of cigarettes. I asked the check in "clerk" who acted like she would rather be anywhere but there, for a non smoking room. I was really surprised when she informed me that the entire hotel was non smoking. Once I entered the room, the decor felt a little tired, but worse it felt like a sauna in there. I called the same "I don't care, I just work here receptionist" to inform her that the AC was not cooling. She didn't offer to change rooms, nor even offered a half insincere apology. She simply said, she would send maintenance. He was the most efficient person in that whole stay. He said he would fix the problem. I left and informed the "cardboard cut out receptionist " that the AC was not working, and under the circumstances I couldn't stay with my 9 year old in a hot room. She just gave me a vacant nod. My only comment to her was that if the room was not cool on our return (from our forced departure due to the sauna like feel in the room) that we would need to be moved- her response; no apology. No I am sorry we will give you a 10 percent off for your trouble - nothing a "uh humm" The next day, the breakfast area was super busy. The staff in that area worked diligently to get it restock and cleaned. That was the only positive in this hotel. The "clerk" situation for the next day was the same as check in. Although, it was a different girl the attitude was the same. No smile. No how was your stay? No thank you. It was very over priced for such poor service, broken AC, smelly hotel and tired decor. Go someplace else.

Room Tip: Pass on thos hotel.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Broken Arrow, Oklahoma
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

We stayed at this hotel for two weeks while we were working in San Marcos. The staff were friendly and helpful. The hotel was clean and comfortable. Location was good with restaurants very close to the hotel. It used to be a holiday inn express so the rooms are great. I will stay here anytime I am in San Marcos.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Keller, TX
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2013

Was a busy weekend and many hotels were full. This Hotel was just OK, decor a little dated and they still have the Holiday Inn sign so we had a hard time locating it as it was billed as the San Marcos Inn and Suites. The price was to high for the accommodation. With a cost of $140+ I expect a more comfortable room and a good working AC unit. Although there were no problem to report and the staff was great I believe the price was to high for the room.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Murfreesboro, Tennessee
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2013

This hotel has changed from Holiday Inn Express and is no longer a part of IHG. It is old, worn, and in need of maintenance and updating. The chair seats in the lobby area are stained and look dirty. Our room was old and in need of maintenance. The shower head moved in and out of the wall; the caulk around the tub was either discolored or missing; the tub stopper was missing and replaced with a flat rubber cover. Soap was the only thing replaced during our stay. When we arrived, the coffee pot still had coffee in it from the previous occupants. I informed the front desk of this and was told it would be taken care of. The coffee pot remained dirty throughout our stay with the exception of what I rinsed out myself. There was no microwave in the room and no hot water available in the lobby after breakfast. The clerk said they would take our water to the back and heat it--not an option after I am dressed for bed. Tea choices were limited to regular and decaf--none of the herb or flavored teas as in other hotels. The coffee pots were frequently empty during our stay. Breakfast choices were very limited. The only fruit I saw during our 3 day stay was 2 brown bananas when we first arrived. There were no "extra" amenities such as the cookies or snacks offered at some of the hotels. The cost of this hotel including taxes was over $140 a night. We stayed in much nicer Hampton Inns for several nights during our trip. We paid much less for much nicer hotels that were either new or recently remodeled and had many more amenities. I would not recommend this hotel.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family

Been to Wingate by Wyndham San Marcos? Share your experiences!