“Wonderful hotel, great location” 4 of 5 stars

$50 Premium Gift Card
Ranked #3 of 28 Hotels in San Marcos
GreenLeadersGold level
Tyler, Texas
“Wonderful hotel, great location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

I've stayed at several Embassy Suites and this one was the best by far! The hotel is beautiful and the service was great. The convention center was excellent. The hotel is one exit down from the outlet malls and close to several shopping centers and restaurants. The only negative was that the bedding was pretty worn and in need of replacement.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
tpugh648, General Manager at Embassy Suites San Marcos, responded to this review, October 2, 2012
Thank you for sharing your comments...we are pleased you enjoyed your stay with us. We will follow up on the bedding and get that issue corrected. We appreciate your business and hope to serve you again in the future. Tom Pugh, General Manager.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
Austin, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2012

I attended a work seminar at the Embassy Suites San Marcos and while no stranger to this brand, the San Marcos location continued to impress me. A credit to their brand, they are indeed very conveniently located directly off the main highway. Standing big and tall in it's own space, it is easily spotted, leaving no doubt as to your destination.

As others have pointed out, ample shopping and dining galore in this area but the strong features are found in the hotel itself.

Welcoming staff. Friendly, fast efficient.
Standard 'suite' room with all the amenities Embassy Suites are known for. No matter how many times I come upon an Embassy Suite I always appreciate the multiple electric plugs built into desk lamps, end table lamps, etc. If you have ever traveled carting laptops cell phones, cameras, etc., it only takes one experience with that hotel room that does not have this luxury to make you appreciate just how special the Embassy Suite plug fest can be!

Counter space and desk space are big on my list for laying out those presentations and organizing notes. Score at Embassy Suites.

Yes, ironing board and iron in the closet, thank you so much, so I can look my best for the morning meeting.

The pod coffee maker, micro, mini fridge, all well known and loved and what a business traveler would consider the minimum staple to our travel.

But in this hotel in particular, the staff was super. From the Starbucks cafe clerk, to the delightful room service people - it was that friendly demeanor, great service with a great product that came through as a bonus.

For those needing meeting room space, space they have here. A multitude of ballroom space that can be divided up into a multitude of sizes and shapes to suit varying needs. Catering service available as well.

If I had to make any lackluster comment it would be the chain standard of the manager's free reception. I miss the lack of healthy snack options. To my knowledge the chain standard remains snack check mix, pop corn, and cheese crackers. I understand the gravity of being fiscally responsible in this area but really would have preferred a fresh bowl of apples as to the processed carb only option. Still, as always, give it away and they'll line up. Many found no problem with this snack option so I just let them have my share. too!

If you have business needing meeting room space and clean, comfortable accommodations, I wouldn't hesitate to bring your business here. I know I wouldn't think twice about staying at the Embassy Suites San Marcos.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
tpugh648, General Manager at Embassy Suites San Marcos, responded to this review, September 29, 2012
We appreciate your comments from your stay with us. We are happy to hear you enjoyed your stay and we will share your comments with our team. For the future, we would be happy to provide an alternate snack item such as an apple...just ask one of us. Thank you for your business and we look forward to serving you again. Tom Pugh, General Manager
Plano, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012 via mobile

Loved the check in staff. The gal that checked us in was nice, fast and friendly. She quickly got us into a room and asked our preferences instead of just giving us a room. The breakfast staff was nice that made the omelets and the housekeeping all said hello as I passed them in the hall. It's a little expensive but it was convenient with the convention hall in it and that's where our main destination was.

The only reason I rated it a 4 was because the first room given to us had the tv on and crickets on the floor. We immediately asked for a different one and it was quickly remedied.

• Stayed September 2012
We appreciate your comments from your stay with us. We are pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay and the service provided by our front desk team. I apologize that your first room was not up to our normal high standards. We will correct that with our team. Thank you for your business and we look forward to serving you again. Tom Pugh, General Manager
San Antonio, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

I stayed at this hotel for 1 night while attending a scrapbook convention. I checked in late but I loved this hotel. It is in a location that is near shopping. But I was exhausted after having a full day of fun, so there was no need to leave. The staff were friendly and helpful. My room was really comfortable and quiet. I ended up picking up a burger from the restaurant downstairs in the lobby, then crashing in the super comfy bed that night. The next morning, I had breakfast and then rested a bit before it was time to check out.

My only issue was when I asked if they had a phone number to a cab. The girl at the desk gave me a card for a cab driver. BEWARE of this guy! He constantly lied about being on his way. When he finally did arrive, he had another passenger in the car and had to drop her off somewhere before he got me to the bus station 10 minutes before the bus arrived. I called him an hour before. He seems to be really overworked and lied to several customers who called his phone while i was in the car. I am sure the hotel is not aware of this cab drivers actions, but I think it would be helpful for yourself, that if you need a cab, have several numbers on hand.

But I would recommend this hotel to anyone. I would stay here again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Thank you for your comments from your stay with us. We are happy to hear you had a very good stay with us. We appreciate your sharing the information about the problems you had with the cab company. We willl make changes to who we recommend. We look forward to seving you again in the future. Tom Pugh, General Manager
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

After checking into the hotel, we ordered room service and the man who delivered our food made inappropriate comments to my 14 year old daughter. I later saw him at the front desk and wanted to confront him but thought better of it as he knew our room number. I should think an adult would have the decency to note make a pass at a minor. I am utterly dismayed and very disappointed.

My husband and children frequent your hotel regularly and this sort of behavior is beneath contempt. I sent an email to a manager and hope this incident is swiftly and adequately addressed as we enjoy your facility. I thought your standards of hospitality were more than adequate until yesterday.

Room Tip: Generally we request suites at the end of the hall-away from foot traffic and elevators.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
tpugh648, General Manager at Embassy Suites San Marcos, responded to this review, September 25, 2012
Thank you for your comments and sharing this incident with us. We will follow up with our team immediately. If I can be of futher assistance to you, please contact me at tom.pugh@jqh.com. Tom Pugh, General Manager
San Antonio, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2012

Usually when you head off to a trade association conference, you expect the hotel to be a bit impersonal and lacking. However - in this instance, I was pleasantly surprised otherwise with a very clean, attractive, comfortable hotel experience with great customer service. And this hotel is not a new hotel - so you would have expected a little more wear and tear with the venue. That was surprisingly not the case either! Their building maintenance department is doing a great job inspecting and maintaining the property on a daily basis hand in hand with housekeeping services. I did not use the pool or spa amenities - but I heard these were excellent as well. The breakfast buffet each morning and then the manager's reception each evening were wonderful benefits for staying at this hotel as well; and both of these amenities were nicer than I expected. The small kitchenettes in each room allowed for you to cool food and beverages, to warm up food and to make a pot of coffee or cup of tea in the privacy of your own room. AND - location, location, location! Shopping minutes away and the city of San Marcos is beautiful as well with the river, college campus and restaurants galore.

Room Tip: Every room has a view over the foyer area. Every room is a good room here!!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for your comments from your stay with us. We are pleased you enjoyed your visit and will share this with our team. We appreciate your business and look forward to serving you again in the future. Tom Pugh, General Manager
Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2012

This a late review- stayed last year. Location by two outlets center & off the highway was very convenient. Room was very clean, room service was good. My husband loved the manager's happy hour... I loved the made to order breakfast ! The staff was very accommodating .

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
tpugh648, General Manager at Embassy Suites San Marcos, responded to this review, September 1, 2012
Thank you for your comments from your stay with us last year. We are pleased you enjoyed your visit with us and we look forward to serving you again. Tom Pugh, General Manager

Been to Embassy Suites San Marcos? Share your experiences!