“Fantastic Surprise!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Clarion Hotel

Save Saved
You added Clarion Hotel to your Saves list
Clarion Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   441 Rio Concho Dr., San Angelo, TX 76903 (Formerly San Angelo Inn & Conference Center)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #14 of 23 hotels in San Angelo
San Antonio, Texas
“Fantastic Surprise!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2011

My husband and I stayed at this hotel the weekend of June 11-12. We were actually planning on staying at another motel, but the only room left was a smoking room. So we called around and the only place left with one room, was the San Angelo Inn & Conference Center. We were slightly worried about staying here because the price was cheaper than other motels and they actually had availability, on a weekend when everything else was sold out. However, we needed a non-smoking room so we took it! AND...we were so pleasantly surprised! This HOTEL is beautiful. From the time you walk in the door, the place smells and looks brand new and very clean. In the lobby where you check in, they offer free coffee all day long. Check-in was great and the staff are very friendly. We stayed on the third floor and were thrilled with our room. The rooms are typical size hotel rooms, with a couch, king size bed, dresser with television and desk area. There are complimentary coffee makers with supplies and bottled water. There is also a mini fridge to store food that you bring in. The bathroom was beautiful, with granite counter tops and a spacious bath/shower combo! The bed was very comfy and we slept great! We did not explore to see if the restaurant was open yet (due to renovations), but we did have an AMAZING complimentary breakfast - complete with waffles, boiled eggs, muffins, cereal, oatmeal, coffee, tea and fruit. They have the breakfast in a small ball room and serve on Sundays from 6:30am-10:00am. The hotel is located right next to the river, if we would have had more time, we would have gone for a stroll. We did not use the pool and spa, but we saw many people out enjoying it. Please don't be fearful of the cheaper price, advertised here, this hotel is great!! This hotel is a gem and I would HIGHLY recommend staying here.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple

56 people have reviewed this hotel

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Cibolo, Tx
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2011

I never would have found this place if the other hotel that I usually stay at on the other end of town had been booked. Did some research and saw that it was being remodeled and that others had liked it, so took a chance, and am glad I did....and will continue to stay here instead of the other hotel now.
The hotel is still going under some renovations currently. The restaurant is not operational yet, and there are some other things going on, but, as far as the rooms are concerned, they are great!
I am on the 5th floor currently ( been here 4 days, checking out June 3rd ). Rooms are very, very clean, SELECT COMFORT air beds!!! I did not expect this at all! And, they are comfortable. A/C unit works like a champ, and the bathroom is clean and has granite counter top.
The only thing I wish they would do something about, and maybe it is in the works, is to screen in the pool ...the pool always needs to be skimmed for small debris and sand that is blowing.....well, you can see it on the bottom, so it's more of nuisance than anything else. Water...man, it felt like well water cause it was so cold! Even when it was 112 here the other day, water was still cold.
In closing, I really, really like this hotel. The staff has been very pleasant, and although there is no place to eat on site, big stinkin deal....just drive or walk along the river a few blocks into downtown or explore for an interesting place to eat.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
Mission Viejo, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2011

I had stayed at this hotel back in Nov.2010 and I was totally surprised with how much had changed in just few months ,there was no more sign of renovation and apparently the hotel has a new ownership since begining of the year ,I could walk to my meeting s next door at convention center and in the early mornings went for strolls along the Concho river across the street from the hotel ,the staff is very accomodating and my room had sleep number bed and very clean .

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2006

My husband and I were visiting his family and we wanted a quiet getaway from the big City. We reserved the suite online , because of what thought looked like a great establishment. We arrived a 3:00, which is check in time. The young woman at the front desk informed us that the room was not ready, hut that we could leave our luggage in the room while they cleaned it, so we could run a few errands. An hour and a half later we walked up to our room and to our dismay The door was wide open, with our belongings inside! the T.V blaring and the room a still a mess. My husband immediately informed the front desk, so the young man tried paging housekeeping, and informed us that he could not get a hold of anyone. He then smuggly asked "If we wanted a 5.00 discount or something?" We quickly asked for a refund and found our way to Hawthorne Suites, where it was a little hire in price but the Service was excellent and there room was ready!!

• Stayed February 2006
Springfield, Missouri
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2005

I've stayed in many places in many countries -- I've had to chase crabs out of cinderblock huts on the beach -- but this is the first place I have ever refused to stay in. The lobby was VERY musty smelling. When we got to our room it was pretty bad. There was so much "stuff" on the floor that it looked like it hadn't been vacumed in a couple of weeks. Basically, the room made my (and my husband's) skin crawl. Our room was at the far back of the hotel which had a spectacular view of what looked to be a hotel for vagrants. We went back to the fron desk and cancelled. The only positive note here was that the girls at the desk were very nice. We ended up at the Fairfield Inn -- which is VERY nice. Considering the Clarion was charging $70.00 per night, paying $99 for a king suite at the Fairfield seemed like a bargain. Our son-in-law recommended the Hawthorn Suites.

• Stayed May 2005
Fort Worth
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2005

We chose this hotel due to its proximity to downtown and for the indoor pool. For those reasons, we stayed. However, we almost left due to the leaky roof and puddle outside of our room. We could not go out in the hallway in socks because of the leaks. Also, we reserved two side-by-side rooms, and ended up on a different floor from the rest of our group. The hotel refused to switch us, even though there was an empty room on the same floor as the rest of our party. The carpet downstairs (near the pool and play area) is very dirty and stained. The humidity was pretty bad, but was better in our room once we turned on the AC.

Bottom line - if you are traveling wtih kids who need space to play, this is okay if you keep your expectations LOW.

If you are an adult without kids -- look elsewhere. I will next time.

• Stayed March 2005
Blytheville, Arkansas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2005

I could not have asked for more. The hotel has been remodeled and is clean. They understand what a FULL Breakfast Bar really contains. Everything you would want. Although I was traveling with my elderly parents it was apparent that this would be a great place to stay with a family. Rooms were clean and had pleanty of towels. The staff made the experience even greater. Everyone was friendly.

• Stayed January 2005

Been to Clarion Hotel? Share your experiences!