“Creepy as heck!” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #24 of 24 Hotels in San Angelo
San Antonio, Texas
“Creepy as heck!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2012

I show pigs and it was a last minute decision to take our stock to the San Angelo Livestock Show. This is a very large show and San Angelo is a smaller town, so as you can expect, there wasn't much availability in the nicer hotels that we would of originally tried to book with. So we checked into the America's Best Value Inn. When getting into town and heading for the barns we passed the area and realized how seedy it looked. It gave off this creepy vibe to me. Kind of a "No Country for Old Men'/Scarface feel. When I finally convinced my parent that this place was creepy, he slightly considered switching, so I called to see what their check out policy was. The phone rang and rang and rang. It was a late night at the barns and we got back around 11-12. I won't go into detail of the explicit language, but I am 90% sure there was a PROSTITUTE in the parking lot. This is where my story gets offensive and my racial-profiling ways are uncovered. As we walk to our room, there is a black guy standing outside our room speaking Spanish into an outdated cell phone. While I only speak a little bit of Spanish I was able to pick out the words dirty cuss words which made it all the more unsettling. Our room appeared clean-ish. The beds were horrifically uncomfortable, and the carpet was pretty sketch. The shower was TINY. And our window curtains wouldn't close, allowing me to view Joe's Italian Restaurant all night, just waiting for a panoramic shot of a Soprano's style shoot out. THIS PLACE IS SCARY, SKETCHY, CREEPY, DO NOT BOOK.

Room Tip: Park on the front side to avoid extra sketchies.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Boerne, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2011

Granted, we were just traveling through San Angelo on the way home from Colorada looking for an overnight stay, and we maintain low expectations for these 'sleep-overs' being budget-minded, but had I not pre-paid via a travel website the night before, I would have never stopped in. Dirty halls, no elevator, seedy folks in the parking lot with coolers just off work, hot hallways, I would not recommend this for a family. It appeared to be a motel where construction workers were being housed away from home during our Friday night stay.

My first hint should have been when the person checking us in stated that because we booked on-line, he could not give us a reciept. I'd need to get that from the on-line service. Not a big deal, as I didn't need a receipt, but I book 95% of our travel on-line, and am always handed a receipt at check-in. It was obvious he wasn't sure what he was doing behind the counter. The cockroach my wife found in the bathroom (still alive) the size of a silver dollar made few points for me as well and had my daughter gun-shy about going into the bathroom without my wife or me. And when I went to the office the next morning to get some coffee for my wife and I, in looking at the 'breakfast buffet', easily announced the decision to pack the car, as we were going elsewhere for breakfast (and I seldom pass on 'free' food).

Given the other local accomodations, I'd pass on this one...

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
rubenreyes, Manager at Americas Best Value Inn, responded to this review, June 21, 2011
I am very sorry to see that you did not enjoy your stay, I have met with my staff, and went went over every item you mentioned and we have taken care of all of the issues. I hope that you stop by and see us again when in San Angelo, so that you may see that you had a great impact on my hotel with your concerns, because it our guests that help up to make things better.

Thnk You

Steve
North Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2010

Stepped on the carpet with white socks that immediately became black. No alarm clock in the room. Sink didn't drain. Light switch toggles very dirty. Room was basically dirty everywhere. Curtains were falling down. It is an old run down property. Breakfast left a lot to be desired. On the bright side it was cheap and the staff was very friendly. There is a very good Italian restaurant (Joe's) across the parking lot. I can do without the fancy amenities, but I can't enjoy a dirty room.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
I am very sorry about the issues you had and have taken care of the issues you mentioned. I hope that you return and give us the opertunity to prove that we value tru guest service.

Steve
Lubbock, TX
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2009

I stayed at this hotel with my young children. We were in the room for maybe 10 minutes and their feet were black! It was DISGUSTING. I wouldn't let them off the bed, which left little to be desired, without their shoes on. Don't stay here. You get what you pay for. After seeing the cockroaches in the bathroom I wouldn't even attempt to try the breakfast. I will NOT be staying at this hotel again!!!

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with family
Big Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2007

This hotel was really dirty and in a seedy part of town. It was really inexpensive- but it made me realize that sometimes you get what you pay for. The breakfast was ok- but I did not feel safe. The beds were really small= but again it was very cheap.

• Liked — very cheap
  • Disliked — scary location, dirty floor in room
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2005

We evacuated for Hurricane Rita and we stayed at the Best Value Inn in SanAngelo, TX. The gentleman who runs the place was a huge help with anything and everything we needed. His staff was great as well. The rooms were clean and we had waffles every morning for breakfast! I give this place 10 stars and can't wait to go back and visit as soon as possible. I recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a great deal!

Been to Americas Best Value Inn? Share your experiences!