“Their main restaurant is awful.....” 3 of 5 stars

Stagecoach Inn Motel & Conference Center
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   401 S. Stagecoach Drive, Salado, TX 76571   |
Ranked #3 of 3 hotels in Salado
Houston, TX
“Their main restaurant is awful.....”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2009

We had dinner at the Stagecoaco Inn Rstr. Friday night. The waitress was nice enough, but all the food was terrible. We had chicken fried steak and it was mostly breading with tough and chewy meat that we could hardly swallow. The shrimp cocktail had 2 prev. frozen, limp shrimp, the vegs. nothing notable, and the pie crust on the chess pie was hard as a rock and unedible, as was the pie itself.

Our room was ok. It was roomy, however the mattress was a cheap, uncomfortable one.
We were definitely disappointed with the overall STAGECOACH INN experience.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple

69 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Rockdale
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2009

i stay there every year sometimes 3 or 4 times a year people wanna write bad reviews on this hotel ur crazy this place is history it is cozy an nice the staff is great if there is a problem they get it done fast i travel with a lot of people in my group we have yet to have bad food or service there an again i will be there in febuary an in april for the weekend for the money it is well worth the price

• Liked — coffee shop next to pool
  • Disliked — haveing to leave
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2008

We visited Stagecoach last weekend on the 6th. We had the fillet steak, and it was amazingly tough. I was very disappointed at the price and quality of the food. Nevertheless, I had friends that wanted to go on the Christmas Walk so we ate at Stagecoach again last night.........Friday. The food was horrible. We had the orange ruffie, and the salmon. BOTH TASTED SPOILED. We sent the food back, and chose the chicken breast, but that was amazingly bland as well. We were not offered any further compensation by our waitress. She was very slow. I don't remember her name, but she had been there 47 years according to her name tag. We were there at 5:30, and it wasn't busy. She brought our tea, and then about 20 minutes later she brings the hush puppies, shrimp cocktail, and our salads all at once. I am VERY disappointed at the service and quality of your food. We won't be back.

Donald and Theresa Entrop
Barbara and Pruitt Wilson

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — The price of the horrible food
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled with friends
Houston
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2008

Salado is one of those little tourist towns that are in pretty much any state. The Stagecoach Inn is the signature hotel, dating back to the mid 1800's. The restaurant has a well earned reputation for good food at reasonable prices. The food was great, the menu for dinner is all inclusive, appetizers through desert, but drinks are separate charges, payable upon order.

The Inn itself is another story. The rooms are dated, probably mid to late 70's, and very tired. There was old toothpaste hardened in the sink when we got there, and the maid didn't completely clean the room the next morning. The buildings need a fresh coat of paint, and some general maintenance.

It's a great town, and a great restaurant, but stay somewhere else. It is worth the extra money.

• Liked — The restaurant
  • Disliked — The Guest Rooms
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled on business
Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2008

The rooms smell of mold, mildew, and crickets (they stink too). For the second year, I mistakenly stayed - the room was full of crickets and roaches, a spider in the coffee pot, and many crickets in the bed! After a room change, the second room contained roaches in the bathroom and sink area, and crickets chirped all night long. The smell (and bugs) are disgusting!

• Liked — Food was good - I wonder what the kitchen looks like.
  • Disliked — Crickets and roaches (and a spider) in my room, and in the bed!
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
staystagecoach, Director of Operations at Stagecoach Inn Motel & Conference Center, responded to this review, September 25, 2008
I apologize for any inconveniences you experienced---the Cricket mating season is a tough time at our property. I am new to the property and would like to show you that we are improving and value you as a customer. We are undergoing many changes and updating our rooms. I believe in 100% satisfaction.
Texarkana, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2008

The family stayed overnight since my husband had a meeting at the conference center. We loved the area - the history and the shopping - and spent the day at the pool. The Historic Restaurant was fabulous - share a dinner if they allow because the portions are HUGE. We will definitely stop there again for lunch or dinner when travelling to Austin.
The connecting rooms had been completely remodeled and were the cleanest and most up to date of any 4 star hotel I've ever stayed in. My children couldn't believe we didn't have a refrigerator, but it is a motel style when we are used to hotels!
We also loved the local Southern Maid donut/bakery right down the road.

• Liked — historic area, great value
  • Disliked — scratchy towels
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
south carolina
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2008

I believe this was the last chance for the property. Having grown up in the area I still can remember great times at Stagecoach Inn and how wonderful it was back in the day. It was THE place to stay while in Salado. I know ownership changed a few years ago and I had high hopes for some real changes considering the new owner but what a disappointment. My husband and I were back this last weekend for some family events and decided to try Stagecoach one more time. This time we got one of the condos they manage rather than stay at the Inn ( another previous experience). We do travel rather extensively so I believe we are able give fair comparison to other properties. After checking in and getting to the condo, I discovered no hair dryer or iron and ironing board. I called the front desk and was told there were no irons or ironing boards. They don't even supply them to the Inn guests. I decided my relatives could live with wrinkles (we flew in from South Carolina), but I had to have a hair dryer. I mean who travels with a hair dryer anymore? Well fortunately there was one at the front desk, but I had to drive back up to the desk to get it. The following day it blew up in my hand. But to their credit housekeeping did find one and got it to me within 10 min after I hotly explained to them I had wet hair and gel in and couldn't come to the front desk as I had done the previous day. Next the bed was absolutely the pits! It was lumpy; the pillows were old and cheap, you could feel where the inside cheap filler had pulled apart from itself. The rugs in the bathroom I don't think had been washed or replaced for a long, long time. The towels were extremely scratchy....you could tell they had been washed a bizillion times.
We did use the pool at the Inn while there and it was full of some sort of winged ants. Breakfast at the coffee shop was good but cold (I think that was a waitress issue) but fairly priced.
The restaurant we tried again as well and the only disappointment was they were out of strawberries for the strawberry kiss dessert. The alternative was a chocolate kiss which was a poor choice.
It is really sad to see the decline of what was once such a outstanding place.

• Liked — location
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Stagecoach Inn Motel & Conference Center? Share your experiences!