“Awesome B & B and wonderful staff!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of StoneCreek Settlement Bed and Breakfast

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Salado
StoneCreek Settlement Bed and Breakfast
You added StoneCreek Settlement Bed and Breakfast to your Saves list
714 College Hill, Salado, TX 76571   |
Ranked #6 of 13 Salado B&B and Inns
Royse City, Texas, United States
“Awesome B & B and wonderful staff!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

We take a group to Salado every May and always stay at Stonecreek. We couldn't be happier with the cottages, service, food and hospitality. Jill and Johnny are the epitome of southern hospitality. All of the cottages are inviting and comfortable. The entire property is well-maintained and very quiet and restful.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
artistSaladotx_, Owner at StoneCreek Settlement Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, November 8, 2013
What a great review. Thanks so much. Hope your pictures turned out great! Jill

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Salado, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

First let me say that for several years I was a concierge at the only 5 diamond resort in the Midwest. I tend to notice the "little" things, and can be critical at times. I am now a travel agent, and am very cautious about recommending properties. I want my clients to have an outstanding time during their vacation, and I want to be able to recommend a property with confidence.

My sister and I treated our 95 year old Mother to a "girls getaway" at StoneCreek Settlement, and I must say that I was quite pleased with the charming, unique grounds, and our private little cottage. I have no complaints---only praise for a well run bed and breakfast. I can certainly recommend this property with the utmost of confidence to my clients.

Thank You StoneCreek Settlement for a wonderful weekend in Salado!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Our B&B is made more wonderful by people like you! Thanks for the review. Jill
Helotes, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

I hated to end up writing a bad review, because I had read a bad review of this place and emailed and asked all about it. I was assured all was AOK..... but for me and my husband I can only say it was a terrible experience

We got there a bit early and were able to peek in the room before it was clean. the Salado looks so nice in pictures and from the looks it seemed okay... so off we went to enjoy our day in Salada.

When we got back at about 4 we went into the room and decided to use the huge whirlpool....ugh..4 inches of water in the tub and the hot water heater was empty...empty,,, emtpty.

We splashed our bodies off becuase now we could not even shower.

***************************

We went out for dinner...came back early expecting to watch a dvd that we found in the room...started to look for the dvd player and tv. Finally found a small, maybe 12 inch tv player as far across room from the bed as possible. Only way to watch something that small was to sit on the couch.... ha, ha, joke there. The three cushions on this old, hard couch do not even touch..so you slip in between them...(No one could sit there and watch a movie.)

so we decided just to go to sleep at 9 at night. Boring.

Well then begins a night of hell. The bed (if you want to call it a bed) King size must have cost them a whopping $100 or less. We both sunk down into it so bad. After 15 minutes my back was on fire.... I told my husband we should leave but we didn't want to drive home to San ANtonio in the dark....

Then, I said to him....How does the Breakfast look? We had smelled a delicious breakfast being cooked when we got there....

well, guess what....(No breakfast was in our refrigerator) So I called and the owner asked me if I was sure that it wasn't there? Seriously... the frigerator is only two foot tall,.... I think I know an empty refrigerator when I see one....

She asked if I would be awake in an hour and half because thats when she could bring the breakfast....

She did show up in half an hour after all, but hey I was up all night long...in pain from the bed.

*************************************

I like to keep a bathroom light on when I'm somewhere strange...and about 2 in the morning....
suddenly the light wnet out....about ten minutes later...it went back on... This happened twice in the night... (sort of like a light show...I was still awake watching it all)

****************************************
At about 6 am... a neighbor's dog started barking right outside ....Now seriously....this must happen every morning ....and the dog barked non stop for a half hour.....
************************************'

So we got up....both exhausted from no sleep, both with aching backs....

I tried again to run the tub....again 4 inches of hot water...then no more hot water at all....
splash off again...ugh

So, we hoped for a great breakfast......

First off, the microwave barely worked, so we had to reheat and reaheat the food (they give no directions on how to heat the food to begin with)_

Well, we took a bite of what was suppose to be strawberry french toast...and it was just soggy...mess...... the sausage patties..... never got warm.... fruit was fine..and orange juice was good...

finally my husband, who had been trying to let me enjoy a bed and breakfast, said...can we go home now

we left before 8 in the morning....drove tired and sore home and slept for five hours and then went and had a good breakfast.

************************************'

I sent an email and explained all this to the owners.....Nothing....No appology....nothing...and I asked for my money back twice...Nothing.....

Usually, I try to find something nice to say...but this time I cannot.

The swing in the picture on their website..is old and not like you see....

********************************************

I did stop out at a newer b and b called the Yellow house...now I haven't stayed there yet...but next time I will....

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
artistSaladotx_, Owner at StoneCreek Settlement Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, April 15, 2013
April 3, 2013

Dear Mrs. Lilly,

My name is Debbie Charbonneau and I am the Tourism Director for the Village of Salado. It is my responsibility to oversee the lodging properties in our great Village. I am writing you in regards to your most recent stay at Stonecreek Settlement.

Mr. and Mrs. Shipman, the owners, spoke with me about your comments. After reading the emails I decided to do an inspection of the property. I must tell you that this is the first time in nine years that I have had to inspect any lodging property in Salado.

I arrived and was served the same breakfast you and your husband were served and found the found the stuffed French toast to be delicious and I was served a cup of tea also.

I then went to inspect the San Marcos cottage. Here is where I am going to address each of your comments separately.

The cottage was very clean.

The spa bath is a 70 gallon tub. When you stated that when the tub had only 4 inches of water and the hot water gave out concerned me. When speaking with Mr. and Mrs. Shipman they have a 50 gallon tank with fast recovery so there should have been more than 4 inches of water in the tub.

Mr. and Mrs. Shipman told me that they tell all of their guests that there are small televisions in the rooms with DVD players. When you stated that you sat on the couch and the cushions didn’t fit, I decided to sit on the antique couch and found it to be comfortable being an antique.

The bed you are referring to I laid down on. The mattress is at least an 8 inch mattress with a pillow foam on top. I didn’t sink down at all but found it to be very comfortable along with a lot of very fluffy pillows.

To address your last comment regarding the breakfast. As I stated earlier I was served the same breakfast you were served. The French toast was excellent and was not soggy at all. The fruit was fresh, the sausage was excellent and the pastries were homemade and quite delicious.

As I stated earlier this is the first letter regarding Stonecreek Settlement that I have received in 9 years.

After completing my inspection, I found nothing to be wrong the food or the San Marcos. Mr. and Mrs. Shipman take great pride in their property and to make sure all of their guests are satisfied and they will return again and again.

Thank you for your comments.
Respectfully,

Debbie Charbonneau
Village of Salado Tourism Director
Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

The folks at Stone Creek Settlement were very easy to book and work with. We stayed at the Salado House, there is a quaint pond with a waterfall right at your feet. There are 7 different cottages to choose from on the propert. Some are one bedroom, but there are larger ones to stay in if you are taking family or friends. The accommodations were excellent, the grounds were well kept and the place was very safe and clean inside. What more do you need, besides having a bunch of cool shoppes to visit and a skydiving location very close? We normally choose to stay at different places when we vacation, but there is no need to stay somewhere else when we return to Salado in October. We will see you again, actually...we have already booked!

Room Tip: Pick a cottage that has the corner tub...there's room for two ;) The Salado House is just one o...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
The most common word describing Stonecreek is peaceful. So glad you had a quite get-a-way. Jill
Leander, Texas, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

My wife and I stayed the first time here after I proposed to her two years ago. On Sunday, March 3rd, 2013 exactly two years from the date, we stayed here again. There was a slight problem initially when we arrived but after calling Jill (she was out of town and still answered), she ensured everything was fixed within 15 minutes. We realize things do happen on occasion that are outside our control, but most important it's how you fix them. Jill was excellent and her passion for this B&B can be clearly heard in her voice, and saw in how well they have taken care of and built the B&B cottages. WE LOVE STONECREEK and plan to visit it more over the next year. It's not only a romantic place for lovers, but I can see it being a great place for family reunions and women retreats. The breakfast is excellent and the wine we had was great tasting. We just can't get over how beautifully decorated the cottages are. I think we will start trying others now that we've peeked into them all before leaving this last time. Our special cottage is The Jefferson. Jill and Johnny you have found your talent and we're so fortunate to have benefited from it. So glad we found you. Mark and Shane Casey.

Room Tip: Try them all as they all our uniquely decorated.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
artistSaladotx_, Owner at StoneCreek Settlement Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, March 9, 2013
Thanks so much for your wonderful attitude. Looking forward to your next visit. Jill
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

My and I wanted a weekend away from the kids to spend quality time lounging around with each other. This is exactly what we got. Owner of StoneCreek was exceptionally helpful. I called ahead to create an agenda for the weekend. She helped me surprise my wife with a lightly scheduled weekend of eating and gallerias. All her recommendations were valuable.

I love the little houses on the property. They were totally my style, simple and nice. The grounds follow the same description - simple and nice. I did not want to stay in a big house with a bunch of other people right next door. The separate, little houses were perfect.

Breakfast was prepared for us the day before. When you wake up, you brew some how coffee, pour some juice from the fridge, heat your quiche, and enjoy some fruit. I thought the quiche was very tasty.

My only complaint is the road noise from I35. You do not really notice it during the day; however, in the dead of night, it is present. There was I35 construction during our stay, which I am sure contributed to the noise.

Thanks to Jill and the crew for a great weekend!!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
So glad you found us. Thanks for your review. Jill
Cleburne, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

My wife and I stayed here on 10-16-12 through 10-18-12. The grounds are beautiful and the place shows very "Home and Garden" like from the outside but that is where the quality becomes very questionable. We first started to sit in the swings in the covered sitting area that you first see on their website. There were numerous cigarette butts under my feet which made it gross as they were turning yellow which means they had been there for a while, and the rose type bushes were overgrown everywhere from the swings to the parking lot. At this point we started to become suspicious. I am not trying to be picky but the bushes are in desperate need of trimming all over the grounds. Then the owner met us (she is a very nice person) and took us to our cabin. After bringing in our luggage we were attacked by mosquitoes. When asked for something to contain them she told us to use the can of "Off" outdoor mosquito spray that was sitting on the porch. She told us that should do the trick. ( it didn't which made it hard to stay indoors too long) She brought food down to our two story cabin for our breakfast the next morning. I mentioned that somebody had left some Smirnoff bottled drinks in the fridge and she said "oh my" and never took it out. Plus there were other items in the fridge that were left behind. There was also a carafe of orange juice for our breakfast the next morning that I assume was leftover from a previous guest. ( we did not touch it) The top half was almost clear and the bottom half was orange. . ( the extremely nice handyman / room cleaner, Antonio, took these items but left the old orange juice so we had two different carafes for breakfast the next day to pick from.).. The next day when we went downstairs for our meal, my wife bit into a strawberry and felt something on the bottom of it and turned it over and it was extremely moldy. ( I took pictures) the rest of the strawberries were also covered with mold. This made my wife sick to her stomach. I bit into the biscuit on the bread plate and it was not fresh and tasted like rubber. We got dressed and went into town to eat. That afternoon when we got back, the handyman was cleaning the room and we told him about the fruit. ( the bowl had been removed) and asked him to tell the owner and the we never heard from her again. The next morning we opened up the fruit bowl and the grapes were black and sitting in mold!! ( Yes, I have pictures) Then there is the question of the large shower upstairs. In three days, we could not get a drop of hot water in the shower. I let it run for 5-10 minutes each of the three days and it never got even close to warm. The hot tub downstairs also has issues. My wife was filling it up so she could take a nice long bath and the hot water gave out after it was less than half full. After my wife got out, I got in her bath water so that I could bathe. As I said, I made the handyman/ maid aware of issues and never heard from anyone. The 11 inch TV barely worked and had 3 or 4 channels and the Wifi finally got up and running after I advised her on how to fix the router. The signal strength was poor at all times. Lastly, there was the "community" shampoo. In every hotel and bed and breakfast I have spent time in, there were always an assortment of small shampoo, body gel,lotion,etc. in small single use bottles. In the tub and the separate shower, each had it's own bottle of half full "economy size...32 ounce shampoo , and a large bottle of body wash. Every resident, I assume, is expected to use this same large bottle until it is gone, and then they will replace it, I assume with another 32 ounce bottle for all guests to share.
We will absolutely not be coming back. This bed and breakfast has the potential to blow the other bed and breakfasts away. But nobody is paying attention to details and you need to provide certain basic services. My wife texted the owner on her cell phone two times and explained a couple of things as we wanted to give her an opportunity to hear our concerns. Sadly she never responded. Salado is a beautiful, quaint, but small town. For $160.00 a night we expected a little more class. . .

Room Tip: Stay away if you want to be pampered a bit and expect basic items you would find in a ramada, Motel...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to StoneCreek Settlement Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!