“Pretty Good 'Cue!” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #9 of 298 Restaurants in Round Rock
Cuisines: Barbecue
Good for: Families with children, Large groups, Doing business, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Arlington, Texas
“Pretty Good 'Cue!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

I've been to 2 Salt Lick Locations. The original, and now the one in Round Rock. This doesn't really have the ambiance of the one in Driftwood, but the food is the same quality. It's good BBQ. I had the rib plate, and was completely satisfied with what I got. The wait wasn't TOO bad, but prepare to stand in line for a while. The beer was cold, and the serving staff was great. As we were walking out, I pointed to a window for my wife to look at their smoker. One of the cooks saw us and invited us in to see it up close. It's a huge horseshoe shaped smoker with rebar for a grill and brick construction. He was proud of it, and for good reason! My father in law lives in Round Rock, and I'll definitely be up for The Salt Lick the next time we visit.

• Visited April 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Round Rock, Texas
“Just like the original!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

EVERYTHING is wonderful! Brisket is tender, turkey is out of this world. I love the potato salad and the bread. Love the atomsphere!

• Visited January 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Not bad”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

The brisket was just okay. I've had better, but only at a couple of other places. What really keeps me going back there are the beef ribs. These things are awesome! Sauce dripping all over them, perfectly seasoned, and they fall off the bone to boot. Other than the ribs, everything else is just mediocre.

• Visited March 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Round Rock, Texas
“once was enough and once too many”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

We went to this location several years ago after it opened. We had never been to Salt Lick so we decided to try it. We shared a table with another group who had already received their meal. We couldn't get the waiters attention. Even after talking to a supervisor we couldn't get waited on. We left and vowed never to return. A vow we have kept to this day.
As for the quality of Salt Lick's food, we did try some at their original location a year later and found small portions and tastless meats.
Save your money and go to Rudy's. The portions are larger, less fat, more smokey flavor, better service and less money.

• Visited June 2013
McKinney, Texas
“Just As Good as the Original”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2014

My first experience with The Salt Lick was in Driftwood, Texas many years ago. So when I saw that another SL had opened just north in Round Rock, I expected the quality to be lessened because this usually happens when restaurants try to expand. However, I was pleasantly surprised at the flavor and quality of the barbeque, which was smoked and cooked to perfection. I am not a fan of potato salad and coleslaw, but always liked the German offerings at SL, and this trip didn't disappoint. We visited in the evening during the week and even though a baseball game had just started in the stadium next door, we didn't have trouble getting a table. I ordered a "choose three meats" plate and chose brisket, ribs, and turkey. The portions were huge and were much more than I could eat (yay! leftovers!). Amazingly, the new location of SL was able to capture the charm of the Texas Hill Country in north suburban Austin. In fact, the only thing I missed about this visit to Salt Lick was the beautiful drive down south Mopac and into the country.

• Visited April 2014