“Pretty Good BBQ” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #6 of 295 restaurants in Round Rock
Cuisines: Barbecue
Good for: Families with children, Large groups, Doing business, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Las Vegas, Nevada
“Pretty Good BBQ”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2013

I did enjoy the food but it wasn't as good as I expected. The atmosphere is similar to family style seating at a picnic or family reunion. You sit close enough to make friends with everyone else around you. The outdoor area is very large and plenty of room to move around. I really enjoyed the large fire pits with all the meat. Overall I did have a very good experience.

• Visited September 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

77% Recommend
“Excellent Texas BBQ, HUGE Pits”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2013

Went to the Round Rock location because it was much closer than the driftwood one. I was worried that this location would not live up to the reputation of the original one. It was very good. The added bonus is that this location has a bar, whereas the original does not (or did not previously) sell liquor. The pits are huge, the meat was excellent and the service and staff were extremely friendly. We sat at the bar, ordered the meal and some drinks, the bartender was a joy to chat with, her margheritas were excellent. A football game was playing on the TV above the bar which we watched. Their turkey (and I am not a turkey lover) is extremely tasty and juicy. There was nothing at all to complain about here and the BBQ was fantastic.
Do read the story about the history of this restaurant if you have the time, it is interesting.

• Visited September 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Round Rock, United States
“Terrible BBQ”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2013

The Salt Lick has a nice building and location near the Dell Diamond baseball field but that is all I can say for the place. I like to try BBQ all over the United States so I can say i do have some experience with different BBQ. This place has by far has the worst BBQ I have ever had I didn't even eat it I left it on the plate. I tried the ribs, the sandwich and the brisket. I took about 3 bites of each item and I decided to leave. I paid the tab left a full plate of food setting on the table and left to another restaurant. This place is very over rated and honestly it is a joke that they even call the place a BBQ restaurant. Rudy's is only about 3 miles away and they are much better. I think Fincher's BBQ in Macon Georgia is one of the best in the US. Salt Lick BBQ is a joke.

• Visited December 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Lorain, Ohio
“My Buddy George's Friend Lied.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2013

In April of 2013, I drove to Texas from Ohio. I towed a trailer behind my truck. In the trailer was my motorcycle, a Ducati Diavel. I was going to Austin to watch a motorcycle race [Moto GP] at the Circuit of the Americas [COTA] and had bought a ticket to ride my motorcycle on the track.

George is a friend of mine and we worked together in Cleveland. He transferred to San Francisco just over a year ago. We stay in touch and were going to meet in Austin for the three day race event at COTA.

I owed George a barbeque dinner from an earlier bet we had made. I reminded him it was time for me to pay up. He said a guy he works with told him the best barbeque he had ever had was in Austin and at The Salt Lick Bar-B-Que.

Salt Lick has several barbeques. I am only giving my review for the Salt Lick located in Round Rock.

So, we drove in George's rental to The Salt Lick. It was April 18th at 3:04 PM in the afternoon when we arrived. Prior to arrival, George had driven all over Austin and could not find the place, he has a GPS. We drove from my hotel for an hour and a half, even passed the Salt Lick located at the airport.

We arrived and were seated. The place is rustic, set up like an old ranch house in early Texas. We were seated at a picnic table. I ordered pulled pork and George ordered the Rib Brisket Plate.

Megan, our waitress brought us our barbeque. When it comes to barbeque, I am a snob and a connoisseur and do not eat beef barbeque. But I do love all types of pork barbeque. With George getting lost driving around, even with a Garmin, I was really hungry when we go there. I began to dig into the food and the first bite was so disappointing.
Salt Lick is a good name for the food. Pork was dry and the sauce could have been made better by my 8 year old grandson. Nothing good to say about the baked beans or the other side dishes. George only ate the brisket after tasting the side dishes. We did leave Megan a good tip, she still has to make a living.

I have since read reviews mostly by Texans about this restaurant and all I can find are rave reviews. Evidently Texans have never been east to Louisiana, Tennessee or the Carolinas.

April and the next race is in 2014 at COTA. I will meet George in Austin and my oldest son is coming this time. George cannot pick the restaurant. My buddy George's friend lied.

• Visited April 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
San Antonio, Texas, USA
“Overrated”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2013 credit card Amex Card Member Review

I don't see anything great about this place at all. I think people who love it have never ventured out. It's good yes, but I've had better.

Visited November 2013