“Good but not enough” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #7 of 277 Restaurants in Round Rock
Cuisines: Barbecue
Good for: Large groups, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Doing business, Families with children, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Gilbert, Arizona
“Good but not enough”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2013

I stopped here for lunch after seeing this place on TV numerous times. The atmosphere screams BBQ and it is a very no frills type of place. You sit at picnic tables rather than booths which is nice. Now the food. I ordered a combo plate and got the brisket and turkey which were both cooked perfectly. Both tender and very flavorful. What prevents it from being a 5 rating is the fact I got more sides than turkey and brisket with my meal. You can also not substitute sides which for me was not ideal since I didnt like any of the sides that came with dinner (baked beans, cole slaw & potato salad). If you want any other sides you have to order them extra. I will say the service was great. I will go back to try another item without any sides. But this place is great Texas BBQ.

• Visited November 2013

Exeter, United Kingdom
“Just Go & Eat!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2013

Being English, barbeques tend to be too bland or too fussy, this was an experience to relish!! Proper smokey BBQ meat right down the line and yes, the burnt ends are cooked to perfection. The whole place had an aura of friendliness and professionalism, the staff were fantastic and I was amazed to see how many people were turning up on a Tuesday afternoon/evening. I am really looking forward to coming back and have told my brother who lives in Houston to spread the word!!! Just Go & Eat!!!

• Visited October 2013
austin
“Very good barbeque”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2013

This is a great idea for a barbeque stop. The atmosphere is good as one pulls up to this nice, ranch style building. As one walks to the front door, the enchanting smell of meat permeates the air. Yes, this is real barbeque.

We were met by the hostess and led by a large pit with various meats smoking to a large open room with old fashioned wooden benches. It was like going to a large old fashioned picnic. The atmosphere is real, not phony, and with the large windows to look out of, it is quite fun.

The sandwiches were wonderful, sides were just ok. The size of the portions were just right.
My group was happy too with the speed with which we received our food.

Another nice thing is the restaurant blends the historical significance of the area and thus, one learns more about the area and the interesting story behind the restaurant.

Overall, I highly recommend this location.

• Visited March 2013
Carrollton, Texas
“not impressed with side.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2013

I tried prime Rib and babyrib that came with a large quantity of sides. The way they smoked prime rib was really good. I haven't seen that good primerib without burning meat. Typical BBQ house burns the meat too much but this one was reall nice. Babyribs are just average. I don't see anything special. The sauce was just good..not special.

I first this place for the first time and anticipated much better taste. As others pointed, they use tooo much saesami on every side. I usually take the left over home but I didn't.

I mgiht go back to try other dish on the menu but my expecition for next visit would be lower.

• Visited October 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Oregon
“Good bbq, but nothing that special”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2013

I was in the Austin/RR/San Antonio area for a couple weeks and managed to eat at several bbq joints in the area. After a few other stops during the course of my stay, the Salt Lick seemed like a disappointment. Not true Texas style bbq, but more of a standard restaurant style bbq. The staff was more than helpful and friendly, but the food was simply average. Great sauce, for sure but there were a couple hole-in-the-wall places that offered less expensive, better quality food. I understand that the Salt Lick has been featured on foodie tv shows, and it is rather famous for it. But the price didn't seem to justify the amount of food we actually received.

• Visited September 2013