“Great for the Price” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #9 of 17 Hotels in Rockport
Houston, Texas
“Great for the Price”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

We have stayed several times. The rooms are very large. You have a full size refrigerator/freezer. You can cook in the room if you bring your own pots/pans/dishes etc. The AC works great.
I reading the other reviews I agree that there can be minor problems but it looks like they are really trying to correct them. I had a problem with the remote control and it was immediately replaced.
You can't beat the price for the space, pool, finishing pier, and even a continental breakfast (cereal, donuts, toast, and make your own waffles).

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013 via mobile

We got there and all I saw was wires hanging from the ceiling. There was no fire alarm in the room. No telephone in the room. And then my daughter went to use the bathroom and there was hair all in the bathtub. Also there was no peep hole in our door. So we could never tell who was outside our door. There was no chain to lock the door. And the beds made noise everytime you turned over! It was Not clean. And I wouldn't stay there.

• Stayed July 2013
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

We stayed at this motel a few times last year and had a great experience each time! So, I booked a one night stay with them this year and we were totally disappointed. Check-in time is 2pm, we planned on not checking in until later but received a call around 3pm asking if we were still coming. I'm glad I was around my phone - have a feeling I would have been charged and then the room would have been booked out to someone else if I did not answer. When we arrived, I was charged more than told when I made the reservation; reason being is they gave us a room with 2 queen beds rather than 1 king since they were out of king rooms? Way to keep your reservations straight! I was refunded the money for the room difference and all was well...until we got to our room. Upon opening the door, a horrible smell hit us - dirty mop water/moldy/bleach smell. Then we looked around - both bedspreads were torn and smelled like sweat, microwave looked as if it were previously caught on fire, phone cords exposed (and no phone) - no idea how the sheets looked as we didn't even pull the nasty bedspreads to look. We paid over $140 for this?? After talking with the owner and seemingly being accused of just not wanting the room that he saw nothing the matter with, we were refunded our money but not before he continued his smart*** attitude. We ended up driving 2 hours home since every place we called was booked. I will NEVER book here again. Take caution and spend the extra money to stay somewhere nicer! My only regret is I did not take any pictures to show on here, but my only concern was getting the heck out of that room asap.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

This is the place I will return to everytime I get a chance. If you want to just get away for awhile, maybe go fishing at the pier, which I enjoyed. People are friendly, you can certainly make new friends and if you don't like to have fun then this is not for you. I will try to make this a once a year getaway on the Fourth of July week. Love it

Room Tip: I have been in three different areas of the motel and all have turned out right for me.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

Oh my gosh. Where to start. A hole in the bathroom stuffed with toilet paper, wires hanging from the ceiling where the smoke detector used to be, bed smelled of mildew, trash on the parking lot and around the doors. Door lock was taped on with duck tape, chain on door was broken. Noisy. Refrigerator didn't work (but the freezer part did). Sand all over the floors (we left footprints in it). It was a holiday weekend, so we were stuck since everything else was full. Loud drunks in the parking lot. For some unknown reason, we weren't allowed to use the ice machine, although other guests had that special privledge. All this for $120 per night, paid in advance. Breakfast was a mob-scene, so we went out.

Room Tip: go somewhere else
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013 via mobile

We have stayed here to many times to count, and yes is a place to stay if your on a fishing trip or just to get away! There are so many things to do in Rockport besides fishing. We never had any problems with management, they were always helpful and courteous, and the rooms were always clean and smelled like bleach. Which was fine with us! That just tells me that it's been disinfected well, right? So, it's not a 5★ hotel and if thats what your looking for I'd suggest you take your snooty butts somewhere else.

• Stayed September 2012
fredericksburg
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

I walked into our room and it smelled so bad of mold or who knows what that I wanted to immediately leave. I knew that we would lose our 2 night stay that I had already paid for and toughed it out. There were a lot of drunk people out in the BBQ area. The AC was loud and rattled most of the night. This would be an alright place for some guys to stay and fish but it is not a family oriented place. A young teenage girl at the pool told me that she was afraid to walk back to her room because of the sleezy guys in the parking lot. I didn't leave her until her mother returned. I would never stay there again. I could hardly wait to get home and take a bath and wash everything that I had taken in that room.

Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Been to Sportsman Manor Motel? Share your experiences!