“Outstanding property and genial hosts” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Great Oaks Manor

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Richmond
The Great Oaks Manor
You added The Great Oaks Manor to your Saves list
419 Macek Road, Richmond, TX 77469   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Richmond B&B and Inns
Hot Springs Village, Arkansas
“Outstanding property and genial hosts”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2012

I do want to address the 2 negative comments first. NE, the website has been posting they are no longer taking reservations, but you chose to ignore the postings, so you are retaliating by posting a negative and then voting yourself a "helpful" vote. For the folks posting from South Africa, they were obviously confused and did not stay at the Great Oaks. Let me further clarify that I have no ties to this property or the owners, but I have inspected this property a few times since 2007. I am not a fan of the Houston area, but this place has always been kept very clean and up to date, it is one of the nicest facilities in the Houston area. I was given a tour on each of my inspections (for my company) and I do know that several of our officers were here over the years and all their comments were top notch, otherwise we would not have sent several of our execs back to this facility. I was very impressed by the overall operation, the attention to details, and the pride exhibited by those who were running the place as well as those who worked the events. The feedback from others who were staying there as I was doing my inspections also indicated 5 stars. I'm sorry these people are bowing out of the business, but they have placed it up for sale. Shame on NE for posting negative comments about customer service when the website had listed "not taking any new applications" before this person filed their comment. The South Africa comment was directed at the wrong business because their comments did not ring true (based on my observations while inspecting the facility), I'm just surprised that the rebuttal was posted almost 2 years later. Since I received direct feedback from each of our execs, I will rate the business as a finishing touch, even though they are no longer in the business.

Room Tip: Sorry, I marked pool when the comments were about the jacuzzi.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Richmond, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2012

I have tried calling Great Oaks Manor several times and each time I had to leave a message for someone to call me back. However, no one has called me back. I called to get basic information regarding having a ceremony and reception at Great Oaks Manor. I have come to the conclusion that customer service is not important to them and I will take my money else where.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
Houston, TX
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2009

We stayed here for a birthday get away and I have to say, this place was wonderful! Our room was lovely and very comfortably appointed; we particularly loved the bathroom which was made for enjoying a relaxing soak. The flowers on the grounds were in bloom and it made us realize how much we enjoy the springtime. Breakfast was superb with everything being handmade down to the delicious, smokey salsa for the Texas Egg Casserole. The hosts were very gracious and made us feel right at home. We are already talking about going back.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
Tulsa, OK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2009

This was a great place to stay while my husband had a business conference in Houston. Our room was lovely and we enjoyed the quiet surroundings. Very comfortable bed. We enjoyed our delicious breakfast and they were very accomadating to our schedule.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
San Francisco, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2009

My husband and I stayed at Great Oaks for the second time this winter and enjoyed it even more! Located out of town, near new subdivisions, the property consists of 2 acres and a huge century-old classic Southern mansion that has been completely renovated by the talented and friendly owners.
Staying at Great Oaks truly feels like "going home" in the very best sense: you are welcomed into the enormous, yet totally comfortable house, set up in your spacious room (the place must have 12 foot ceilings) , then left in peace, to wander the grounds, read a book from the well-stocked library, lounge on the upper verandah, soak in the jacuzzi, or just relax on the front porch.

The rooms are so pleasant! Some are huge, and all are beautifully decorated with a subtle but interesting theme, such as the Casablanca Room which was ours, with its touches of Morocco.

We slept incredibly well on the cushy mattress in the quiet country night, and woke up to smells of the owner's delicious scones for late Sunday breakfast. We lazed around all morning, then had to go back to reality ! Highly recommended.

• Liked — The quiet country ambiance of the gorgeous property, beautiful, sparkling clean rooms and nice owners
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed February 2009, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Spring
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2009

We are local to the area (from Houston/Spring) and were looking for a quick, quiet, and romantic get away. This place was fantastic in every aspect. Carey and Fred's hospitality was very refreshing. They gave us the peace and quiet we needed, yet were available for small talk when we wanted. Their service was fantastic! The food was fantastic (loved the strawberry french toast!)! The room was impeccable and well thought out! The Manor itself was beautiful! We will be back some day! Thanks Carey and Fred!

• Liked — Service and Ambience
  • Disliked — Location
  • Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Houston, TX
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2009

Great Oaks Manor was such a wonderful end to a stressful wedding day. Everything from the comfy bed to the relaxing jacuzzi tub and the AMAZING croissant french toast in the morning was excellent. Carey and Fred were very kind and personable -- we enjoyed the conversation as much as the breakfast!

We definitely hope to return as often as we can get away for a peaceful weekend to ourselves!

• Liked — The room and breakfast!
  • Disliked — We honestly had a completely positive experience.
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to The Great Oaks Manor? Share your experiences!