“Two different stays” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hyatt Regency North Dallas/Richardson

You added Hyatt Regency North Dallas/Richardson to your Saves list
Hyatt Regency North Dallas/Richardson
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   701 East Campbell Road, Richardson, TX 75081 (Formerly The Richardson Hotel)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Bed & Breakfast Package
Ranked #7 of 18 Hotels in Richardson
Stockholm, Sweden
“Two different stays”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2012

Stayed in the hotel twice within short two weeks break. My return was influenced by very good experience during first stay, however it wasn't so good the second time. First at time check in, I was recognised as Platinum Hyatt club member and was offered vouchers compensating lack of lounge (by the way during booking at Hyatt website it still advertises there is a lounge although I was told it does not exist for few months now). Vouchers offer appetiser in bar and one free drink. Staff at bar is very helpful and walking extra mile to make you feel comfortable. Second stay however there was no any vouchers and the lady at checkin was surprised and unaware of any vouchers. She said she will check and come back, she never did. Rooms are nice, spacious and tidy. Bathrooms little rusty and would benefit of having a proper shower instead of rather old and uncomfortable bathtubs. There was a problem during second stay with lack of amenities. Reported and improved for one day then the same. Breakfast is unforgettable experience due to fantastic service. Two older ladies (sorry forgot the names) greet guests and make sure you feel comfortable. I was particularly surprised when they recognised me on the second visit. That is what makes people feel like home. Hotel has a nice, but small outdoor pool and gym facilities open 24/7. Gym is small but well equipped. One of the biggest problems is finding a parking lot, specially in the evening. It took me some 15 min. every night to search for available space. This may be due to some conventions often held at hotel with a lot of visitors. Otherwise hotel is nice and quite modern, well maintained and rather good location close to Dallas and other business parts of the area.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
HyattFOM, Front Office Manager at Hyatt Regency North Dallas/Richardson, responded to this review, August 21, 2012
Hyatt Regency North Dallas thanks you for your response. We would also like to apologize for the subpar second stay with us. We will review your response with our team to better serve you during your next stay with us. Let me know if I can offer any additional assistance.

Front Office Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2012

We arrived without reservations (after leaving the disgusting Hawthorn Suites, Richardson nearby) and Cynthia at the desk greeted us with a wonderful smile and great attitude! It was so refreshing after being at the Hawthorn Suites with a staff that could care less and a property that evidenced that to be the case. The Hyatt's customer service was impeccable from arrival to departure! The beds were comfortable, the room was cool and we never heard a peep from another room! We had two nights of great sleep! My daughter enjoyed using the pool and everything was spotlessly clean! You guys could not have done better! Thanks for making our stay in Richardson terrific! We will definitely see you again and again!

Room Tip: I don't think you could go wrong here! :)
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
HyattFOM, Front Office Manager at Hyatt Regency North Dallas/Richardson, responded to this review, August 3, 2012
Hyatt Regency North Dallas/Richardson thanks you for your very kind words. We are very happy you were able to be comfortable and get some much needed rest. I will share your comments with our entire staff including Cynthia for her outstanding service. We look forward to seeing you again!

VA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2012 via mobile

We stayed here on a business trip. The lobby is very spacious and open. The ladies at the front desk are always helpful. They gave us many good recommendations for food spots. We went to the bar a few times and the bartenders were attentive and made good drinks. Breakfast buffet although not free it was worth it. Lots of pastries, cereal, oatmeal, hot food items, made to order omelettes. The rooms were comfortable and spacious enough. The pool looks nice although we didn't get to go. It's outdoor and has a jacuzzi. There was lots of people out there at night. The free shuttle service is great!!! They were able to take us to many places. Shuttle does not run during the weekends though. All in all it was a great hotel and would recommend it!!!!

• Stayed July 2012
Hyatt Regency North Dallas thanks you for your response. It is wonderful to have feedback from those who encounter so many areas of our hotel. If you are in the area in the future, we hope to see you again!

Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2012

I had a 3 night stay and reserved two additional rooms for the guests traveling with me. Initially, I reserved a jr. suite and 2 guest rooms but at check-in found they gave me keys for just 2 rooms, one of which was a jr. suite. I went back down to straighten it out and after a bit of back and forth (their computers were down) we were taken care of. Because of the mix-up (I'm guessing) I was upgraded to the hospitality suite on the top floor, with the 2 additional guestrooms up there as well.

The large suite really came in handy for all of us to meet, relax and plan strategy for our apartment search in Dallas. I did have some issues with the air conditioning but the staff was really on it, they got it serviced right away, called to make sure it was working, left messages to make sure our stay was comfortable, etc. even sent a snack up to make up for some of the inconvenience.

The service in the bar was also fast and courteous; very nice drink list. My sons said the food was really good too. The breakfast buffet was also very good and the wait staff friendly, and helpful.

I have stayed in many different places and hotels over the years, but I really appreciate how wonderful the staff was and how accomodating they are. I will stay here again as my son is a UTD student nearby.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Tucson, AZ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2012

Stayed at this hotel for five nights for a recent business trip. For the premium dollar, Hyatt is not offering anything to get excited about. Although the hotel has some nice aesthetics, there really isn't anything great about it. The rooms are fairly standard, including outdated bathrooms. There's a flat screen TV, but without HD it was practically unwatchable. Expensive breakfast, no free morning newspaper, small pool ... You get the idea.

I'm not all negative. The staff was very friendly and the happy hour in the bar was not only a great value but had a fun vibe.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Seattle, Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2012

Have stayed in this hotel twice this year for a total of 4 nights, on my first night I had great difficulty sleep because of the strong smell of mildew or mold which appeared to get stronger each time the air conditioner cycled on. When I walked down to reception the next morning the mildew smell was evident in the hall, lift and foyer as well so a raised it with reception who were not really interested in doing anything other than saying they would have housekeeping take a look at it. Needless to say nothing was done nor we’re they terribly concerned when I raised it again on check out.

On my second double night stay in May as soon as I walked into my room on the 7th floor the mildew smell was simply overpowering. If you’ve ever visited the underground champagne caves in France which are covered in mold and mildew you will know what type of smell I am referring to. Since my previous stay was so uncomfortable I immediately raised the issue with reception who this time responded by bringing in an air purifier and sprayed air freshener around the room which managed to mask the smell for a couple of hours. The next morning the smell was still there and when I returned later that day it was as strong as when I checked in so I was moved to a different room which still had a mildew smell but not as bad as the other room.

In speaking with one of the housekeeping staff it was confirmed that other people complain about the mildew smell so the hotel are definitely aware of the problem. What’s interesting is there is no evidence of any mold or mildew in the rooms, sure the décor is dated and the curtains smell musty, yet the bathrooms are spotless even though the mildew smell is evident which makes me believe that the problem is probably coming from the A/C ducts – and hopefully not the A/C cooling tower (legionnaires disease!!).

On the morning I checked out I raised the issue with the General Manager who seemed very concerned and apologized that I was uncomfortable – but that was it.
Now I stay in hotels 3 – 4 nights every week, and apart from an overpriced Best Western in Courtenay (Vancouver Island), I have never come across a hotel with a smell like I have experienced at the Hyatt Richardson and this was experienced on both of my stays. I am even more surprised that the Hyatt have done nothing to eradicate the problem to ensure the comfort of their guest and protect their brand.

I can assure you I am not exaggerating this smell. In fact last week while holidaying in the champagne region of France we entered several underground caves which are all covered in mold and mildew and we joked that it smelt just like the Hyatt Regency Richardson – and that’s not a good thing!

Room Tip: Ask for one that doesn't smell like mildew!
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
South Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2012 via mobile

Hotel is a little outdated but service is very good. As they don't offer a club lounge anymore they try to accommodate customers and offered free breakfast and everything from their snack shop was also free. The bar area was crowded and they have a pool table.

Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
HyattFOM, Front Office Manager at Hyatt Regency North Dallas/Richardson, responded to this review, June 6, 2012
Hyatt Regency North Dallas/Richardson thanks you for your feedback. We enjoy hearing from our guests regarding their stays. I will share this with our team as well. I look forward to seeing you again!

Thanks,

Jim Smith-Front Office Manager

Been to Hyatt Regency North Dallas/Richardson? Share your experiences!