“OK But Needs More Work” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 4 hotels in Portland
Indianapolis, Indiana
“OK But Needs More Work”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2010

My room was below average. Bathtub needed refinishing. There was no internet, WiFi or otherwise in my room. I was told that if I come to the lobby I can get online there, but I prefer to be in my room. The lobby was dark in the daytime because they were too cheap to turn on the lights until dark. The only really good thing about this room was that practically nobody was staying there, so it was nice and quiet. Lots of cleaning and painting was needed all around.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled solo

18 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Carrollton TX
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2009

According to your directory the location we stayed at on 6/12 in Portland , TX has your best rating - 4 stars. If this is your idea of outstanding, we wouldn't want to stay at anything else you have to offer.

Had we not been here for a family reunion, we would have left and found something worth the price we paid. Furthermore, I am posting my comments on the web about the problems we encountered during our stay.

1) There are NO safety mats in the bathtubs.
2) The toilet in Room 217 in building 1 where our daughter, son-in-law and 2 grandchildren stayed WOULD NOT FLUSH. The water was turned off. They had to fill a trash can with water from the tub to flush the toilet all night.
3) The ice machine didn't work.
4) The staircase handrails at building 1 were barely attached to the wall so they were a hazard rather than a help.
5) The shower faucets in room 201 are marked incorrectly - hot is cold and cold is hot. 6) Railings around the larger pool are missing concrete at the base and someone could fall between the two and get stuck.
7) There is a water faucet at the end of the pool standing at least 7 inches above the concrete - just waiting to trip someone or even worse.
8) The POWER LINES RUN DIRECTLY ABOVE THE POOLS - someone could be ELECTROCUTED!
9) When I complained at the desk I was told "the ice machine works at building 4" - across the parking lot. I advised there are no signs to indicate that to which he replied "I'm sorry." I also advised the toilet wouldn't flush in room 217 and again I got "I'm sorry."

Well, I'm sorry but that isn't adequate!!! We spent $208.46 for 2 rooms for 1 night of disgust! I shudder to think what we would have spent without our AARP and Value Club discounts. Where is the "VALUE" in what I've described? Our cousins stayed in Corpus in a SUITE and spent $80 - not $104 and they had NO complaints at all.

The next night we stayed in EXCELLENT rooms at a Travelodge in San Antonio and saved $40. We had NO COMPLAINTS and were completely satisfied. I consider theirs to be the "Best Value" Inn . CANCEL OUR MEMBERSHIP AT ONCE!

Hopefully my bad review will prevent future unpleasant stays at this particular location.

If this is the best that Value Club and Americas Best Value Inn can do to rectify the problems we encountered, CANCEL our membership at once. We want nothing more to do with your association or membership!

Our future stays will be with TRUE inns of VALUE and EXCELLENCE!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
Austin, TX
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2007

I visit the area often for work and since this hotel was convenient we gave it a try. My first mistake was asking for a smoking room. The room smelled horrible! Musty and moldy smelling, not really a stale smoke smell. I felt like they made the worst room they had the smoking room. My partner had a different room that didn't smell so I just turned on the air even though i knew it would be too cold for me and hoped some of the smell would clear out. We work late into the night so when I showed back up during the early morning hours I was dead tired and didn't think it would matter. When I climbed in the bed I noticed a strong urine smell that seemed to only come from the bed. I then noticed the blanket had a yellow stain that obviously the smell was coming from which of course made the comforter and the sheets smell horribly also. The mattress didn't appear soiled so I ended up pulling everything off the bed and closing it up in the bathroom. I was told at check in that the office was closed during the night and since the clerk didn't seem very friendly or helpful I didn't want to waste my precious sleep time dealing with them and moving my stuff to a new room if one was available. I ended up sleeping fully clothed on towels and covering up with extra clothes I had brought. Used clothes as a pillow and slept on an edge of the bed that was furtherest from the area where the urine had been. The next morning when the cleaning crew came thru I mentioned the urine to them and they just looked at me like I was a nuisance and really shouldn't complain.

I loved the location because it was right on the bay. The fishing pier was a nice place to hang out in the morning after a nice little walk on the bay. I would really love this place if they would clean it up!

• Liked — the views, fishing pier, boat ramp
  • Disliked — urine in the bed, trash on the floor, run down appearance
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Corpus Christi, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2007

To Whom It May Concern:

I am not sure if I am wasting my time by writing this or not. I do want you to know that we could not believe the condition of this motel we stayed at. The name Americas Best Value Inn and Suites needs to be changed there in Portland, Texas. If you need pictures let me know I have them. I will be sure to tell everyone I know not to stay there. I paid way to much for two nights and the only reason we stayed the two nights is because I paid for them in advanced AND there were no other rooms available. There was disgusting muck on the walls. I had to clean the Jacuzzi two times and it was still awful. As for the free breakfast, it was when they were ready, about 7:30am that is after I woke them up. The phones did not work right, no wake up call the first night. I had to get them to give me an alarm clock because the phones did not work. There was only one ice machine that was always empty. You couldn't swim in the swimming pool because it was dirty. We are so disappointed and cannot believe this place has not been shut down. We will never stay in another Americas Best Value Inn. This could be a really nice place with a little bit of effort. I truly hope that the Corporate Office takes a look into this place and does something about it.

A very disappointed customer,

bavkkv@yahoo.com

• Liked — The View of the water and birds
  • Disliked — The Room/Pool/Ice Machines
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Illinois
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2006

I have stayed at other Best value Inns and not been dissapointed. This Hotel is very rundown and needs basic upgrades, like paint and cleaning up. Apears to be old hurricane damage. The Pool was clean but thats about it. Find another hotel if possible.

Been to Americas Best Value Inn Portland/Corpus Christi? Share your experiences!