“Clean, Quiet and Convenient” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Corpus Christi-Portland

Save Saved
You added Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Corpus Christi-Portland to your Saves list
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Corpus Christi-Portland
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   220 Reliant Drive, Portland, TX 78374   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #3 of 4 hotels in Portland
San Antonio, Texas
“Clean, Quiet and Convenient”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

My stay was wonderful...easy to find. Easy access to The Texas Aquarium and Texas A&M Lab for Research and Classroom. The accomidations were excellent, clean....breakfast HEALTHY and Exercise Room convenient...walkable to Steak House for landlovers. Room was more than any Executive Instructor could ask for....I would give it an A+.

Room Tip: Room on the Top Floor....Elevators work!
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business

25 people have reviewed this hotel

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Little Rock, Arkansas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2012

The hotel is easily accessible to highway and Corpus. One can find restaurants all around (not necessarily only in area but including other towns and Corpus). Staff friendly (we never experienced any rudeness), helpful, and courteous. Breakfast typical of HIEs, but good. Room was clean and well-maintained. NICE and COLD air-conditioning in the 100+ degree heat! Great place to stay! Also, on the backside of the hotel, you have interesting view of loads of "windmills" which apparently provide electricity to the area due to almost incessant "prevailing winds!"

Room Tip: We were told that the top floor was the quietest; however, I did hear the pitter-patter of little fe...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Elysian Fields, TX
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2012

I stayed there last night and you know what? It was one of the better HIEX I have spent the evening at. I am not sure why the prior reviews gave such poor guest realation ratings to the staff; the young lady at the desk was very friendly and helpfull. I surely did not have any issues in that regard.
The room was spotless and, though I am not one to get all excited about the decor...I got to admit, this was one pretty room- and very large!
The whole palce was squeeky clean.
The location was super if you are visiting C.C. or Aransas Pass/Mustang Island. Short trip over to the ferry, just down the road from C.C. beach and all the attractions. You will pay 2X the $ if you stay at one of the "beach" locations. Save your bucks and spend it at all the fun places like the aquarium (also just down the road!). As for the review about bed bugs...I did not see any evidence of this.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Kansas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2012

Wouldn't stay there again. Employees weren't friendly to begin with. Sorry I hardly ever give a hotel a bad bad ratING but this place is very rude. The first night there we had reserved a king bed went to room had two doubles beds, room was very small. Husband went back down to lobby they gave us a king size bed on a different floor. THEN at 3:00 AM my husband woke up and he had ANTS CRAWLING ALL over HIM. He had several bites on him. I called front desk and told them they said come down and get a key to a different room. (NO BIG DEAL TO THEM I GUESS, NO I AM SO SORRY OR ANYTHING). WE SHOULD OF A LEAST GOT OUR ROOM FREE FOR THAT NIGHT. So at 3:00 am in the morning we were moving to a different room again. NO SORRRY FOR YOUR TROUBLE OR ANYTHING. THAT IS VERY BAD SERVICE. My husband has sent in a complaint to the main office and they have sent on the message to this hotel and they still havent gotten back to him. Matter of fact they have done it twice. I can't believe they can't apologize for something like this. HOW RUDE THEY ARE IN this place. WOULD NOT recommend this hotel. We stayed two nights then were ready to get the heck out of this place. We checked out 3 days early.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Corpus Christi-Portland, responded to this review, July 3, 2012
Dear kslady56,

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. We take comments such as these very serious and would like to follow up with you. We have sent you a private message in effort to obtain more information. I look forward to hearing back from you very soon.

Katie J
Huntsville, Alabama
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2012

Recenly stayed here with my family. The hotel was new and fairly clean. However, the staff was rude and didn't have a clue how to treat guests. We were told that late check outs were only allowed for priority club members (which I am) and therefore we could not check out one hour late. When I explained that I was a priority club member, I was told that late check outs were disallowed by corporate policy...strange since I have had late check outs at other Holiday Inns. The breakfast was poor. They had milk, but you had to ask for it to be brought out of the back room even though an employee was present to monitor the breakfast items. I would not recommend this place to anyone! Customer service should be a priority in the hospitality business!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Corpus Christi-Portland, responded to this review, July 21, 2012
Dear Rach H,

Thank you for writing a review about your recent stay with us. We work very hard to ensure our facilities and service are superior and we strive to be the best Holiday Inn Express around. We appreciate your nice comment regarding cleanliness of our hotel as well as the rooms.

However, It sounds like we fell below your expectations especially on out hotel staff service. We take all reviews positive and negative very seriously, and your feedback will help us improve for our next guest or your next visit.

Orlando A.
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2012 via mobile

I stayed here for one night and I left COVERED in bed bug bites. Thankfully it looks like we haven't brought them home with us. The other people staying in the room with us were also bitten. We saw a bug the next morning and thought it was too big to be a bed bug; boy! Were we wrong! Room 409 is not recommended.

• Stayed May 2012
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Corpus Christi-Portland, responded to this review, June 17, 2012
Dear Bedbugalerter,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a candid review. I assure you bed bugs are not a sanitary issue and IHG takes these concerns seriously. We recommend that our hotels undergo routine preventative procedures to guard against bed bugs. In the event that bed bugs are discovered, we recommend that the hotel's pest control specialists act to ensure that the bugs are eradicated and if necessary, the hotel discards and replaces all affected furniture and linens. Additionally, we recommend the guest room is taken out of service until the hotel is advised that the guest room is pest free. I have sent you a private message to obtain more information about your stay. I look forward to hearing from you and being of further assistance.

Ben J
IHG Care
Houston, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2012

We reviewed Trip Advisor for hotels during our recent trip to Rockport, Texas. Rockport was mostly booked for the holiday weekend, so we chose the Holiday Inn Express & Suites in nearby Portland, Texas. The hotel is relatively new and the rooms were nicely appointed and clean. There was bedding available for the sofabed. We had requested extra towels (there were 5 of us), but those weren't supplied in the room and we had to go to the front desk for the necessary towels (the room only had 3). The real disappointment was breakfast. Breakfast was from 7 to 10am per the agent at check in. When I arrived at breakfast at 8:30am, they were already running out of food. There was no milk for cereal, no gravy for the biscuits, no bacon, no cinnamon rolls, and the pancake machine was out of batter. When I asked about these items, I was informed in a very rude fashion that no more would be made. The only options left for breakfast with an hour and a half before the end were 3 containers of yogurt, a few hard boiled eggs, a couple of biscuits, scrambled eggs and toast. I have never been at a Holiday Inn Express (which we use quite frequently) and had such a horrible experience at breakfast. I also have never been more rudely treated when I have asked questions. I will not book at this location again if I can avoid it. I also noted that this was one of the most expensive Holiday Inn Express & Suites that we have stayed at. The price was over 30% higher than other locations. This location did not provide any special access or area. It is located immediately off of the highway, so I can't understand the premium price.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Corpus Christi-Portland, responded to this review, July 10, 2012
Dear Lesleybh,

Thank you for taking time to post a review of our property. We are delighted to know that you like the cleanliness of our rooms. I am sorry you received unacceptable service from our staff and regret you were not satisfied with our breakfast options. We work very hard to ensure our facilities and service are superior and we strive to be the best Holiday Inn Express around. For that reason, the comments are troubling and will certainly be looked into. Thank you for staying with us and hope you give us a chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Anthony M
IHGCare

Been to Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Corpus Christi-Portland? Share your experiences!