“Can't Get Breakfast Right” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Corpus Christi-Portland

You added Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Corpus Christi-Portland to your Saves list
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Corpus Christi-Portland
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   220 Reliant Drive, Portland, TX 78374   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Portland
Houston, Texas
“Can't Get Breakfast Right”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2012

We reviewed Trip Advisor for hotels during our recent trip to Rockport, Texas. Rockport was mostly booked for the holiday weekend, so we chose the Holiday Inn Express & Suites in nearby Portland, Texas. The hotel is relatively new and the rooms were nicely appointed and clean. There was bedding available for the sofabed. We had requested extra towels (there were 5 of us), but those weren't supplied in the room and we had to go to the front desk for the necessary towels (the room only had 3). The real disappointment was breakfast. Breakfast was from 7 to 10am per the agent at check in. When I arrived at breakfast at 8:30am, they were already running out of food. There was no milk for cereal, no gravy for the biscuits, no bacon, no cinnamon rolls, and the pancake machine was out of batter. When I asked about these items, I was informed in a very rude fashion that no more would be made. The only options left for breakfast with an hour and a half before the end were 3 containers of yogurt, a few hard boiled eggs, a couple of biscuits, scrambled eggs and toast. I have never been at a Holiday Inn Express (which we use quite frequently) and had such a horrible experience at breakfast. I also have never been more rudely treated when I have asked questions. I will not book at this location again if I can avoid it. I also noted that this was one of the most expensive Holiday Inn Express & Suites that we have stayed at. The price was over 30% higher than other locations. This location did not provide any special access or area. It is located immediately off of the highway, so I can't understand the premium price.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Corpus Christi-Portland, responded to this review, July 10, 2012
Dear Lesleybh,

Thank you for taking time to post a review of our property. We are delighted to know that you like the cleanliness of our rooms. I am sorry you received unacceptable service from our staff and regret you were not satisfied with our breakfast options. We work very hard to ensure our facilities and service are superior and we strive to be the best Holiday Inn Express around. For that reason, the comments are troubling and will certainly be looked into. Thank you for staying with us and hope you give us a chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Anthony M
Case Manager
IHGCare

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2011

We stayed here in order to attend a family wedding in Sinton. For the last family event we attended in the area we stayed in Sinton at the smaller of the two inns and were terribly disappointed with the cleanliness and lack of service there. We didn't wish to have that happen again. HIE was clean, convenient, quiet and roomy. We were located next door to our family members. We had access to the breakfast area downstairs for larger family gatherings like playing card games and just hanging out.

If you are staying in the area for entertainment, the movies are right across the street and Corpus Christi and all it's sights are just a 10 minute drive.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Mont Belvieu, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2011

I travel all over the world and this is one of my favorite hotels. It is very clean, and their is a brand new steak house in the parking lot, across the street is a movie theater and a Wal Mart. Not much to do in this town except work, but this is by far the best hotel in the area. I see people complaining about the staff and not enough towels. What a gripe, this is not a five star hotel, these types of hotels are for people who like a clean place to sleep, and a quiet room. Every time I have needed something the front desk clerk has always been very prompt and helpful. I stay here every time I am in the area.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2011 via mobile

My husband and I stayed at this hotel last night and it other than the nice exterior of the hotel, it felt like I was staying at a value motel. We paid $139 total with taxes for a suite room which was roomy. However, the bed was not as comfortable as some of the other hotels I've stayed in (Hampton, Homewood, Embassy Suites). And the shower head did not spray water out, rather it just fell straight underneath the head I'm guessing due to lack of water pressure?? But the real bummer came when we realized getting ready for bed that we'd forgotten our tube of toothpaste. My husband walked down to the front desk since the sign in the bathroom says they have emergency toiletries (toothbrush, toothpaste, razor, etc) for guests. Well they didn't have any toothpaste! So he had to drive to Walmart at 11:15 pm to buy some toothpaste. Then he woke up this morning with a sever migraine (which he gets about once a year) so after realizing I had taken my bottle out of purse at home, I called down to ask if their guest shop had an individual pkg of Advil, Tylenol or any pain reliever again the answer was no!! What hotel does not have this kind of stuff? Even motels that charge $50/night have stuff like this for purchase. So once again I drove to Walmart at 7:30 am to buy a bottle of Ibuprofen. It was very disappointing and frustrating to pay that much for a room at a brand of hotel that advertises how great their service is. One other thing that stands out is I walked down to get a cup of coffee from their breakfast room at 9:45 and it was already closed even though the sign said it was open until 10:00!! Again irritating! This is the first time I have ever been so disappointed enough to feel compelled to give a hotel a bad review. I could have stayed at the Omni Hotel or Embassy Suites in Corpus for less than what I paid here and gotten a full cooked to order breakfast and better service!! Spend your money elsewhere!

• Stayed September 2011
Rowlett, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2011

We are not a family that is terribly into the "experience" of staying in a hotel. For us, it's a place to lay our weary heads when we're finished playing.
To that end, the HIE Portland provided exactly what we needed. The room was clean and very modern. All the appointments were chic for a budget hotel and I felt very comfortable there. If you have stayed at HI Express hotels in the past, this one will offer all the things you've come to expect with a little more style and sophistication. The free breakfast is good but not great. The sundry shop is ample but small. All in all, EXACTLY what one should expect from this type of hotel. If you want to feel pampered with room service and a soft robe before you get your spa treatment, this isn't your place. However, if you want to feel comfortable when your there, rested when you get up and grab a little something before you head out for the days adventure (or next business meeting or the ilk), then you will not be disappointed by HIE Portland.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Dallas, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2011

I have traveled the world and my stay here is one of the worst service experiences I have had.
-None of the requests made in the booking comments was met
-Fewer towels were in the room than the number of guests
-Breakfast food was undercooked
-We were out of our room for 7 hours, but it was not cleaned. When we went to front desk we were told the cleaning staff was gone and we'd have to wait till the following morning.
-Water on the floor leading to and IN the Elevator. (obviously tracked in from the pool, but it was still wet 2 hours after the pool closed)
-We heard every foot step of the folks staying above us.
While a newer and clean hotel, there seemed to be no care as to the comfort of guests. I will not be staying at hotel again, and will avoid all Holiday Inn's if this is how they train staff to handle guests.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
houston
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2011

New Holiday Inn which showed in room. Extra electrical outlets in bath and in room. Excellent a/c. Good shower. Breakfast was typical. Service in breakfast room not up to par. Breakfast was until 10 am. Coffee ran out at 9:30. Attendant made a new pot of regular, no decaf. Food trays ran out before attendant refilled. Trash started running over. Front desk very accomodating. Texas A-1 steaks adjacent. Good food.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Corpus Christi-Portland? Share your experiences!