“Poor service, roaches, PLUS a bonus fire alarm.” 2 of 5 stars

La Quinta Inn & Suites Port Lavaca
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   910 North Highway 35, Port Lavaca, TX 77979   |
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Port Lavaca
Austin, Texas
“Poor service, roaches, PLUS a bonus fire alarm.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2010

This is a well located, and fairly new La Quinta but I absolutely would NOT recommend this hotel. First, check-in was very slow and the front desk staff had to reboot their computer three times (over a 15 minute period) before being able to check me in. My room looked OK until I noticed several roaches crawling around on the bathroom wall...gross. The front desk staff member was later sitting in the dining area reading text messages on her cell phone when I asked her about the business center location. She indicated "its down there" while pointing in a general direction. And best of all, the staff member who fixes breakfast was cooking some biscuits in preparation for breakfast, got distracted, caught the biscuits on fire and set off the fire alarm at 5:00 a.m. The entire hotel had to be evacuated and there were about a hundred guests plus me standing outside wondering what was going on until the fire department arrived. There was no apology or discount offered by management the next day morning during check-out. Breakfast was very limited and of poor quality for the room rate. They had a dinky little coffee machine that would only dispense about 3 ounces of coffee into a Dixie sized cup at time. Come on, they can't even include a decent cup of coffee for $90 per night? This hotel has lots of potential but it appears the owner is trying to maximize profit by not hiring enough staff, not performing necessary maintenance (like pest spraying), cutting corners, and only offering limited breakfast offerings. This appears to have resulted in poor customer service, roaches in the rooms (at least in my room), and in things like burned biscuits and fire alarms. I will not stay here in the future unless I hear that the owners have significantly upgraded their and staffs performance and the cleanliness of the hotel. There are too many decent places to stay in the area to put up with the poor level of customer service and quality currently offered by this hotel.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
lqinnandsuitesportla, Webmaster at La Quinta Inn & Suites Port Lavaca, responded to this review, July 10, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thanks for your comments. While we reject any assertion of an insect problem in our hotel, we do sincerely apologize to you for the unfortunate situation involving the fire alarm. We have taken steps to make sure this does not happen again. Our goal is to be the best hotel in town, and most guests find that we are meeting that goal. I hope you will try us again when you come to town again.

Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Austin, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2010

We traveled to Port Lavaca for a family reunion and the result of stary here was NO SLEEP!
We stayed in room 216 and directly above us was a party or some sort of celebration that included falling and or dropping items on the floor from about 11:00 P.M. to 4:00 AM several complaints were filed with the front desk and the end result was that nothing could be done about it. The next day we asked for a refund and we were refunded half the room rate which was ok but the noisy people should have been removed from the hotel instead of risking the loss of customers. At this point I can only say that the hotel is clean and the rooms were nice however we are not sure if we would stay here again because of the poor handling of the situation!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

Thanks for your comments. I’m sorry that actions by other guests that were outside of our control detracted so much from your stay. We are limited by law and company policy in what we can do when guests are not breaking the law. Still, I apologize that we failed to meet your needs in this case and hope you will visit us again for our comfortable beds, great breakfast and great value.

Boerne, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2010

I recently stayed at the La Quinta Inn and suites in Port Lavaca, Texas. It was a wonderful experience. The hotel was very clean. Rooms were clean, including the bathroom and coffee pot. The beds were very comfortable. The breakfast was more than ample, lots of choices each day, including eggs, sausage, waffles. Close to the water and a wonderful boardwalk. Easy trip to Aransas National Wildlife Refuge. I would stay here again!! My only complaint is the towels were stiff and scratchy.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thanks for your overwhelmingly positive and thoughtful comments. I’m glad we provided you a great place to stay in Port Lavaca. I do apologize that the towels didn’t meet your needs, and we have since changed to better ones. I hope you will stay with us again when you travel plans bring you to the Gulf Coast.

Houston, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2010

We enjoy having mini vacations to the area for fishing and chilling out.
We like staying here.... they have a continental breakfast for their guests...
I wish they had a few more options... If you stay here... make sure to eat out before 9 pm.... dining is limited in this sleepy little fishing town... The La Quinta here is nice and clean.... and has wifi... liked that... We recommend this hotel.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

Thanks for your kind comments and for indicating that you would recommend this hotel. I hope you have told your friends about it. Our goal is to be filled to capacity each night with people like you who respect the quality, amenities and value we provide. I hope you will be returning to stay with us again soon.

Houston
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2009

full of drunk construction guys!!!! almost got into a fight because a drunk dude said something stupid to my girlfriend. didn't feel safe at the hotel and got lot of noises (from drunk guys yelling from the hallway to cars' alarms, you name it!) told management about it.... Response was: "I am sorry, sir! I have already had a few complaints already but I really can't do anything!" I tried to get our money back and go to Best Western. Response was: "I am sorry! I can't give you money back for tonight but tomorrow night is fine!" My advise is: if you see many big trucks parking in the parking lot... think twice before you get in!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
busybusiness6, General Manager/ Owner at La Quinta Inn & Suites Port Lavaca, responded to this review, November 20, 2009
I would like to apologize about guest concern on this matter. I understand that it is the hotel's mission to make sure that every guest experience is safe and secure environment and great customer service. The construction crew is no longer staying, also I have made staffing changes to better handle a situation, such as this incident so that it will not occur in the future.This is Brand New Hotel 100% satisfaction and customer service is guaranteed.Guest satisfaction is our priority.
South
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2009

My Family and I were visiting Port Lavaca as we do every Summer and decided to stay in the "NEW" hotel. Everything was VERY nice. My 5 year old went swimming Every single day and my parents went to Walmart. The front desk staff were very professional and friendly. The breakfast was GOOD too. Great Stay!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

Thanks for your great comments about our new, clean and comfortable hotel. We genuinely hope we provided the best hotel stay you’ve ever had. We especially appreciate you pointing out the quality of our staff, something we’re very proud of. I hope you will stay with us many more times in the future. We’ll have a clean room and a comfortable bed waiting.

Norfolk, Ne
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2009

This is a Diamond in a neat little town. The desk staff, Brandi and Kelly were great, the property is clean and has everything any traveller needs.
We are staying an extra night just because the place is so nice, and we will use the extra day to tour the area. Breakfast was nice, had adequate choices. If you want a great place to eat for a really good price, ask directions to Miller's Seafood, it's just south down the road off 238 on the bay.
5 Star's to this property and team!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your very kind comments. We sincerely appreciate you taking the time to offer such overwhelmingly nice and positive feedback. I hope you will stay with us many times in the coming years. We’re settling in nicely and truly enjoy running a hotel that satisfies so many people who come to Port Lavaca.

Hotel Manager

Been to La Quinta Inn & Suites Port Lavaca? Share your experiences!