“Poorly prepared fried seafood” 2 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Battle Ground, Washington
“Poorly prepared fried seafood”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

As I was working in the Port Isabel area for a few days I decided to try Dirty Al's after reading the hype in the local press. I was just looking for a good seafood lunch at a reasonable price and my expectations were low.

I was met at the door by a very courteous server that said that I could sit wherever is desired. I chose a table by the windows and was treated to a very nice panaramic view of South Padre Island and its waterway. I was immediately greeted by my waiter, who took my drink order. After perusing the menu, I decided on the shrimp bisque and fried shrimp and scallop platter,

I would have prefered the soup first, but the soup and the seafood platter arrived together within a very short wait. At first spoon the bisque had a very savory, delicious taste, unfortunately the second spoon included a piece of shrimp that had very strong fishy flavor.

The fried shrimp were average at best, butterflied and over fried and dry, reminiscent of frozen fried shrimp. The shrimp were the highlight of the lunch! I was looking forward to the scallops, but as I cut into the first morsel I noted that the batter coating had completely separated from the scallop. You could actually pick up the breaded scallop and shake it inside its batter coating.

The service at Dirty Al's was very attentive, but the kitchen needs help!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Joe R, Manager at Dirty Al's at Pelican Station, responded to this review, June 26, 2013
Thanks for visiting, sorry we didn't meet your standards, thanks for your input any way.

Ballerup, Denmark
“A bit dissapointing”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

This place is having an amazing view over the bay and the bridge. But our food was disappointing. We have had so much great fish in the area, but not here. The dinning room is an acoustic disaster, when you are having groups around you that a loud, it gets multiplied in here. Sorry, but we are not coming back.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
We would like to thank you for your visit,our apologies for not meeting your standards,of sound acoustics, but this building was built already when the owners acquired it, and is not much we can do about, may we recommend you our new place at the island is very quiet I think you'll like it that's Liam's steak house and oyster bar.
“Seafood heaven on earth”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

This place is a GEM! Clean,super friendly,helpful,attentive, view whew! Fireworks too! and absolutely the Best seafood you could hope for. Once we found this place we had breakfast, lunch, dinner and cocktails there at some point during our trip all equally excellent. I love spotless restaurants and this is that. Shocked at some of these reviews here, can only share our experience, The best part of our long weekend getaway by far was Pelican station. We drove in from Houston and have some great food spots at home , not to mention being from NY another Food mecca, and we wish this place had a sister location near us! Next time in november...cocktails and Botana!! I don't know the owners if you are thinking that...just VERY happy patrons . LeeAnn an Bill Themlmcowgirl@aol.com

• 5 of 5 stars Food
Joe R, Manager at Dirty Al's at Pelican Station, responded to this review, June 17, 2013
We wish that everyone notice what you saw ,that's why we make the effort every day to do our best to deliver good service and good food and a relaxing /fun atmosphere ,we hope that come back again and this time bring some friends along,thanks for your visit.
Greenville, South Carolina
“Highly Recommend”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

This restaurant is in the exact location where the original Rio Grande Railroad was located in 1870-1911. Delicious food, varied menu, very efficient and friendly service make this a wonderful choice, and the restaurant is on the Bay!! It's also very reasonable priced!! This is owned by Dirty Al's which has a good reputation on South Padre Island.

• 5 of 5 stars Food
Joe R, Manager at Dirty Al's at Pelican Station, responded to this review, June 10, 2013
Thank you,your positive comments are appreciated,we are glad you were not disappointed,please come back soon.
Winthrop Harbor, Illinois
“Great Food with a Great View”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013

This is one of our "have to" stops whenever we're in South Texas. The food is always fresh and delish - no matter what time of the day we've happened to stop in. Gulf Shrimp is to die for and parties of 5-6 will love the Seafood Botana - plenty for everyone! There's really no bad place to sit because of all the window views. Our grand children love to go out to the patio and watch the pelicans and boats go by. View of the bridge is awesome! Very relaxing!

• Visited December 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Thanks for your visit, we are happy that you could enjoy our food and atmosphere ,we hope you visit our place in the near future again.