“Surprising Hotel Stay” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 17 hotels in Port Arthur
Cypress, Texas
“Surprising Hotel Stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2009

I booked this hotel and didn't think much about it. I have been to this area many times and had passed this hotel several times. Anyhow, I arrived and the front desk was great, check in was a breeze. Then I got to my hotel room that had a very nice plasma tv and the room was great. I mean it was one of the nicest rooms I've stayed in while traveling on the road. The shower had a European shower head, and there was plenty of towels and accessories. The room and bathroom were super clean and smelled clean.

The only complaint I would have would be the A/C unit in my room was dripping a lot of water inside of the unit. I don't fault this on anyone, because August in Southeast Texas can be rough. The unit worked, and worked well and that's the most important part.

I did not have a chance to check out the breakfast bar or any other part of the hotel, but i would recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a clean place to stay.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled on business
MattJ2255, Assistant General Manager at Holiday Inn Port Arthur-Park Central, responded to this review, August 11, 2009
I am very happy to read about your surprising stay here at our hotel. I want to thank you for taking the time to give us a great review and I hope you will come stay with us again if you are ever back in beautiful Port Arthur.

Matt Jackson

22 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Metairie, Louisiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2009

I had stayed here only once previously, about one year ago, although my husband has stayed here several times with no problems. Last year, although the room was very clean, I couldn't understand why many things in the room didn't match at all, i.e. drapes, patterns on furniture, etc., while it looked as if some decorating touches were brand new. I guess they were in the early stages of the renovations. Well, upon arriving this month, I was VERY pleasantly surprised. The redecoration/renovations to the rooms are great, although it looks like some little things are still ongoing - there were new lamps and mini fridges being taken into the rooms when we checked out. There was an alcove in the new furniture for a fridge, so I would think all the rooms are getting them. The new contemporary decor looks great - new furniture, bed, and also the great flat screen TVs. Very clean rooms. Usual toiletries. The lounge has free appetizers in the evenings, and the drinks are very good. I did not eat at the restaurant on this trip although the rest of my family did, and I heard no complaints. I was really surprised at the look of the rooms - it was not what I had come to think of as "Holiday Inn" at all. The room was just as nice as some much higher-priced or higher-rated hotels I have stayed in, and I'm pretty picky about where I stay, to say the least. Cleanliness is paramount, and our room was very very clean. We were here for 2 nights, and upon returning to Port Arthur, I would not hesitate to stay here again. There are some very good restaurants very close to the hotel, and also stores nearby for anything that you may need. Also, the hotel has free high-speed internet, which I used on 2 different days, and it worked fine.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
MattJ2255, Matt Jackson - Front Desk Manager/Administrative Assistant at Holiday Inn Port Arthur-Park Central, responded to this review, July 2, 2009
Thank you very much for all the wonderful and kind words you have written about our establishment. We hope to see you again!
Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2009

Don't expect a lot of customer service if you stay at this Holiday Inn in Port Arthur. Our reservation said we would have a refrigerator in the room and we needed one to keep things cold that were to be used in our presentation the next day. I called the desk immediately upon entering the room at 2:00 and was told they would bring one right up. We left to set up for our next day's presentation amd stopped for dinner. When we returned at about 5:30 there was no fridge. I called the desk again and was told it was late and there probably wasn't one available. I explained and reminded him I was promised one at 2:00. Never got one. Also, when we checked in with bags and rolling carts, we were told that to get to our room we needed to go outside and walk around to the back of the building and then go up stairs. It turned out we could have walked right down a main hall to an elevator that would have taken us right to our room but we drug all of our stuff outside on an uneven sidewalk in near 100 degree heat. You get a $20 voucher for your breakfast at their restaraunt but plan on giving them lots of time to get your breakfast prepared; we were in the restaraunt at 6:15 and it took them 45 min. to get us a waffle and an order of french toast. They apologized (it wasn't like they were really busy that morning) but that didn't help us get off on time to our workshop. I will admit that the room was clean; bed comfortable; there was a nice large TV; but the headaches for the other problems were too much for a normally nice hotel chain.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled on business
I would like to apologize for any problems you experienced with our hotel. I also want to apologize about the refrigerator problem and for my front desk employees not giving proper directions to your room. If you do decide to come stay with us again, ask for me personally, and I will make sure you get a refrigerator upon request and take care of any other needs or questions you may have.
new york
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2009

I stayed at the hotel for two weeks for government disaster work. My room was renovated with flat screen t.v, new furniture, and new bathroom. The staff was extremely friendly and accomadating and made my trip enjoyable. My room was clean and quIet. also enjoyed the renovated gym with two treadmills, ellipetical, leg and arm exercise machines. There is not too much to do in Port Arthur;however, I recommend eating at Pappadeaux in Beaumont (ten minutes away).

• Stayed March 2009, traveled on business
Austin, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2008

Was booked into this hotel with a large group for a meeting. Room and bed were clean and comfortable. Despite being next to an elevator, I had no noise issues during my two-night stay. Lobby and bar area were smoky, but my non-smoking room was not. Internet worked fine in the room, which was important as I needed to use it for business during my stay. No problems here.

• Liked — Comfortable and quiet
  • Disliked — Pool was outdoors and it was too cool to use it
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2008

Stayed one night at the Holiday Inn Port Arthur.
I enjoyed the stay. I was recognized as a Priority Club Member and given a bottle of water and snacks. Stayed on the 4th floor with a nice view over the pool area.
Although it was too cool to go to the pool, it was a beautiful area.
Breakfast was good, plentiful and reasonably priced.
Bed was comfortable, good water pressure and plenty of hot water.
Room need a little more remodeling (bedspreads, etc.), but the room and bathroom were very clean. Got a good room rate on the Holiday Inn Web Site.

Wal Mart is right across the hwy - very convenient.

I would definitely stay here on a return trip to Port Arthur.

• Liked — Price of Room
  • Disliked — bedspreads
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Santa Fe, NM
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2006

This place was really nice. The pool was great, the rooms were beautiful, and everyone there was really nice. I didn't have one complaint about my whole experience there.

• Stayed June 2005

Been to Holiday Inn Port Arthur-Park Central? Share your experiences!