“If it weren't for the smells” 2 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #14 of 17 hotels in Port Arthur
Salt Lake City, Utah
“If it weren't for the smells”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2009

I dislike knocking a property from the start of a review but everyone considering this hotel needs to be aware. I stayed on the second floor. When you exit the elevator the entire 2nd floor hallway smells like it's a smoking floor. But it's not over yet. Once you exit the hallway to enter your room the smell is instantly replaced by an equally strong musky mildew odor. I changed rooms on the second floor and both rooms had the same strong order. So when I would return to the hotel after work and exit the elevator the double tap was too much for me. I had to go to another hotel.

Otherwise, if you stay on the 1st floor, or the 3rd floor is better and the rooms don't smell the hotel is decent. The "continental" breakfast is pretty basic, the cable line up is good and the internet service is fair. But I'd be cautious before you commit to this hotel.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business

8 people have reviewed this hotel

Couples
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2008

We arrived as a small group. Then we grew to a large crew, each immensely different in personalities but that didn't mean a thing to the staff at the Port Arthur Mainstay. From day one, and I was the sixth arrival of a later group of 60, we had a home. A safe home! The area was devasted by Hurricane Ike but we never knew it, the maintenance staff was amazing. Many of the desk and housekeeping crew had lost their own beds, homes and property but it was a shameful afterthought to stop and ask them how THEY were doing, while we slept in warm, clean, very comfortable and spacious rooms lacking nothing. The
I was lead secretary, I know just about every type of room layout our team was in. All were really nice! The kitchenette was stocked, the bathroom modern, the bed large and pillows were awesome.
We had security. We saw families, laughing & happy. We saw pets. We were there for Halloween (fun staff!!) and Thanksgiving (and let me tell you, if you're there for Thanksgiving, you'll have a home away from home, with friends & guests all enjoying and appreciating a loving spread of Giving) and a full determination by the crew to make you feel better. And this crew did this every day.
Would I recommend others at this hotel. You bet. Would I return? Yup, you Bet.
The personal respect and professionalism is plenty, but the caring was unbeatable.

• Liked — The Staff and the accomodations
  • Disliked — can't think of anything.
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Mainstay Suites? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about Mainstay Suites

Address: 7648 Memorial Blvd., Port Arthur, TX 77642
Location: United States > Texas > Texas Gulf Coast > Port Arthur
Business Center with Internet Access Fitness Center with Gym / Workout Room Free Breakfast Free High Speed Internet ( WiFi ) Kitchenette Swimming Pool Wheelchair access
Ranked #14 of 17 hotels in Port Arthur
Hotel Class:2 star — Mainstay Suites 2*
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Booking.com, Tingo, Priceline, Travelocity, BookingOdigeoWL, Venere and Agoda so you can book your Mainstay Suites reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.

If you own or manage Mainstay Suites, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.