“Helpful, flexible staff” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #13 of 17 Hotels in Port Arthur
Houston, Texas
“Helpful, flexible staff”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2012

We are a high school softball travel team that spent 3 nights at the Port Arthur Mainstay Suites. We had a total of 8 rooms/suites on different floors of the property. The location was convenient for us next to a mall, dining, and other shopping. We stayed here because of the price and the kitchens. The staff was very helpful with our reservations and making sure that we had the appropriate rooms. Although the property itself could use some TLC, the rooms were clean. The beds were comfortable and linens nicer than most places that we stay at with the team. There was no road noise even though it is on a highway. We really appreciated having a grilling area near the pool so we could save money by cooking out . We didn't really use the breakfast options because we had brought much of our own. There is a nice sized refrigerator and microwave in the room. Any smells that we encountered were from folks cooking in their kitchens. The rooms smelled a little musty until the A/C units got going, which is pretty common near the coast. We had reservations for 4 nights, but our team didn't make it to the tournament finals so we stayed for 3. The staff adjusted our bills and were helpful with late check-ins and departures.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Couples
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Austin, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2012

Just spent three nights at the MainStay Suites in Port Arthur. Had enough points for three free nights. And I got my money's worth--just about. As has been said, the second floor corridor smells like a combination of poop, mildew and boiled cabbage! Strangely, though, the room did not smell all that bad. However, I had asked for a king sized bed--discovered after putting my things in, going out and much later when I did not feel up to moving, it was queen sized. However, on the plus side, the bed was better than some economy motels I have stayed at. But, the microwave blower was on and we couldn't turn it off. Reported it to the manager who fixed it by pulling the breaker on it. The kitchenette was not overly clean and there were NO glasses of any sort there. The desk couldn't supply any, but I was able to get some stryfoam cups from the breakfast bar. Ah, the breakfast bar. By 7:30 it was wiped out except for neon colored cereal. All fruit gone. The juice dispenser was "froze up," I was told, ergo no juice. Forget breakfast there unless you hit them at 6:00 a.m. When I suggested that they should refill the items for those who prefer to eat their breakfast on vacation at a more decent hour, say 8:00 to 9:00 would have something. I was answered by a shrug of the shoulder from an employee. The people in the room next to ours said none of that bothered them as they had six stinky little baseball players in town for a game, and all they wanted was space to bed them down. So for this purpose it must be fine. Also, for workmen who just need a place to bathe and sleep. Not so great for someone to enjoy on vacation and visiting.

Room Tip: If you smoke, ask for the 4th floor or a room with a balcony. Ours had a balcony which was ankle de...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2011

We decided to go on a roadtrip this christmas and our first stay was in port aurthor at the Mainstay Suites. Even though this hotel is on the main highway our GPS had a bit of a hard time locating it, so we called the hotel. The front desk clerk told us she wasnt very good at giving directions so we had to ask her a million questions before we located the place. The room was great, it was spacious enough for our family of 5. It had a small kitchen, and everything one might need to feel comfortable. The breakfast was nothing special, dont expect a warm breakfast but the main things are there. Overall, this hotel is great for a family who needs a large space with a kitchen and the room was very clean. I gave this hotel a four stars just because the front desk clerk wasnt very knowledgable about her hotel's location.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Liverpool, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2011

Had to find a hotel within government per diem rates in Port Arthur at the last minute and Mainstay Suites was only one available. As Chase71 says the smell in the second floor hallway was unbearable. The smell entering the room was worse. I had to run out and purchase Air Freshener. My room was directly behind the elevators although when I booked I requested a room away from the elevators, its as if they didn't even look at the booking. When I complained the person at the front desk didn't seem to care too much. So I called my travel agent and had them find anything under per diem in the area. I even considered Beaumont, 15 miles away, even though I was working less than 1/4 mile from the Mainstay suites.
The suite is large, although sparesly furnished without enough lights. The bathroom was very clean considering the smell of the room and the run down appearance of the hotel, especially the hallway.

Room Tip: My tip is to find a different hotel, sorry that's the best I can do.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
Terre Haute, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2010

In 2009 I spent a total of 4 months at this hotel.
I stumbled across this place due to another Extended type hotel not being available.
Every room has a kitchen W/dishwasher and fridge.
Staff is friendly, Housekeeping everyday...
I feel like Family at this hotel.
When ever I am in the Port Arthur area working this is the place I stay BAR NONE.
If you do refinery work, like to stay in a nice clean and quiet place with a Kitchen, this IS the place.
If your more into LOUD PARTYING, please stay somewhere else...

• Stayed March 2009, traveled on business
Salt Lake City, Utah
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2009

I dislike knocking a property from the start of a review but everyone considering this hotel needs to be aware. I stayed on the second floor. When you exit the elevator the entire 2nd floor hallway smells like it's a smoking floor. But it's not over yet. Once you exit the hallway to enter your room the smell is instantly replaced by an equally strong musky mildew odor. I changed rooms on the second floor and both rooms had the same strong order. So when I would return to the hotel after work and exit the elevator the double tap was too much for me. I had to go to another hotel.

Otherwise, if you stay on the 1st floor, or the 3rd floor is better and the rooms don't smell the hotel is decent. The "continental" breakfast is pretty basic, the cable line up is good and the internet service is fair. But I'd be cautious before you commit to this hotel.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business
Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2008

We arrived as a small group. Then we grew to a large crew, each immensely different in personalities but that didn't mean a thing to the staff at the Port Arthur Mainstay. From day one, and I was the sixth arrival of a later group of 60, we had a home. A safe home! The area was devasted by Hurricane Ike but we never knew it, the maintenance staff was amazing. Many of the desk and housekeeping crew had lost their own beds, homes and property but it was a shameful afterthought to stop and ask them how THEY were doing, while we slept in warm, clean, very comfortable and spacious rooms lacking nothing. The
I was lead secretary, I know just about every type of room layout our team was in. All were really nice! The kitchenette was stocked, the bathroom modern, the bed large and pillows were awesome.
We had security. We saw families, laughing & happy. We saw pets. We were there for Halloween (fun staff!!) and Thanksgiving (and let me tell you, if you're there for Thanksgiving, you'll have a home away from home, with friends & guests all enjoying and appreciating a loving spread of Giving) and a full determination by the crew to make you feel better. And this crew did this every day.
Would I recommend others at this hotel. You bet. Would I return? Yup, you Bet.
The personal respect and professionalism is plenty, but the caring was unbeatable.

• Liked — The Staff and the accomodations
  • Disliked — can't think of anything.
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Mainstay Suites? Share your experiences!