“No Frills” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #13 of 19 Hotels in Port Aransas
East Texas, Pennsylvania
“No Frills”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2012

A no frills hotel at budget price. We stayed mostly at the beach so it was just a place to sleep. Only complaint was the A/C was a failure. During the heat of the day when you need it most, it didnt cool very well. Went to Walmart and bought a fan, helped some. It is motel style, pull your car up to the front door. Seen people everyday cleaning and taking away trash. They also offer discounts for golf carts they rent on premises. If you like luxury stay else where it definetly would not be for you. If you just want a place to stay its ok. Also make sure you bring your reservation reciept or they might try to charge you more than the quoted price. I had mine so was no problem.

• Stayed July 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
San Antonio, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012 via mobile

We stayed in room 142 (double queen) Aug. 16 - 19, 2012. We paid about $155. a night, the first night we met the roaches. We have stayed here several times over the years, this resort has shown signs of upgrading over the past few years one thing they haven't changed are the pests, they should have of put that money into extermination & maintenance. Their were rolly pollies in the bathroom, the fold out couch was nasty with large brown stains, the bedding for the fold-out couch must be requested, their was no telephone in the room. We had referred our friends to this resort. They rented a room also, they had only hot water in the sink. When the maintenance worker came to check it, he replied with "I will see if the owners will let me buy the part!"? What is that about? Over the years we have watched this place raise rates, and extend ammenities. But, why would I pay these rates when I can pay $75. more a night for a roach free condo in port aransas. If you would like to know a great beach condo to stay at in port aransas,tx., you might want to check out my other reviews! The batteries for the remote control died on our second to last day. Every morning you have the sun streaming in your face, so needless to say your up at the crack of dawn! Our last stay here before this one was about 2 years ago. The website was nice! The new continental breakfast was good, they have Ice on site for $2 (key available in office), the pool was refreshing, the playground sand has ants. If you don't mind packing a can of raid this is a $ saver place to stay. Me?, I'm a bargain shopper for a great place at a great price. Maybe next year will be the year I find it?!

• Stayed August 2012
Smithville, Texas, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2012

When arriving at the resort??? Which by the way is a joke in saying that because it is by far not a resort of any sort. It is a motel, which motel 6 beats it by far, and I definitely don't stay there either. Jennifer, checked me in at the desk and was very rude, needs to learn customer service. There was a couple checking out a golf cart and she cared more about them than she did my stay that I was paying a whole lot more for and she should have had the courtesy of at least telling me to please hold on while she finished with the other couple. When making my reservation I told Jennifer I had two dogs, which she replied was fine I just needed to pay the $10 a night fee. I had no problem with that, but when I got to the motel she seemed shocked when I reminded her about my dogs.. first encounter..... When I got to the motel room the carpets had pet stains on them and the couch looked as if someone had used the bathroom on it. The bathroom was extremely hot and the shower went from hot to hottest. The carpet made our feet black. I was also told that housekeeping was going to come by daily and that we had to put the dogs in the kennel in order for them to service the room. That was fine with us because our plans was going to be on the beach anyways. That night when we returned to the room, we had no towels and the laundry I placed on the floor for them to pick up was still laying where I left them. When folding down my bed, my daughter pointed out a pee stain on the quilt. Unfortunately, one of my dogs was up on the bed and was smelling around and peed on the bed. We quickly, yanked him off and took off the sheets only to find the mattress was covered in pee stains. My daughter went in the next day and told the receptionist what happened and asked for sheets and another mattress cover she seemed upset and questioned her as to what happened and she told her about the other stains. Then Jennifer the manager walked in and asked if she could borrow the radio and start yelling at her maintenance guy in front of her and told him to come in where she continued to yell at him. This is very, very unprofessional to say the least. Housekeeping came by to bring us the sheets and towels and told us that they do not do service the room daily. They were nice and made sure we had plenty of towels. My dogs are potty trained and have never done this before in fact when we took them out we made sure we picked up their poop. We have previously rented at a real resort 4 weeks prior to this and they went to the door and told us they need to go out. They never once tried to pee on anything. This is by far the worst motel I have ever stayed at and I do not advise anyone to stay here. The price of the rooms are way to high for this motel. Also, I paid by credit card and here it is 3 weeks and my card still hasn't shown up the charges for the room which makes me very concerned at this point. BEWARE!!!!!!

Charleston, Illinois, USA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2012

based on the reviews for this place, they must save the dirtiest, barest, oldest rooms for folks with a dog (me!) no clock, no phone, ancient bathroom, old carpet - poorly vacuumed. Sorry, either the rave reviews are from family masquerading as travelers, or only people without dogs get nice digs.

Room Tip: romm 131 is lousy. though my dog didn't seem to mind
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Arlington, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2012

We stayed here from July 16th thru July 20th and if you're gonna stay here, stay in the Newly remodeled rooms, there is a HUGE difference. The other rooms are old and not so up to date. Our friends with a larger family stayed in a regular older room and it was dirty. I wouldn't have been happy, but it is what it is. The newer rooms are actually pretty nice....flat screen TV, new kitchenette, decent furniture, crown molding, redone bathroom. Not bad at all. If you stay 3 nights, you get the 4th night free and it keeps going up from there. Great deal if you're on a budget. The breakfast was ok...cereal, juices, bagles, toast, oatmeal, yogurt and coffee. Nothing extravagant, but hey, it's free and if you have kids, which we have 2, it works just fine. You are right next door to San Luis, the BEST Mexican REsturaunt on the island, so you can walk next door and grab some breakfast tacos any time. There is also a snow cone place right next door too as well as a the laundromat. The pool area is ok, there is some repari work that needs to be done to a few area but not a big deal. I see some reviews saying that Jennifer the owner is rude...I can see where she would come off that way, but understand that she's trying to run a hotel and Im sure crazy things have happened there and she needs to lay some ground rules and keep a level of decorum there. She will give you whatever you need, just ask..and her dog Marley is very friendly. You're about a quarter mile from the ferry and also to all the fighing outfitters and of course the beach......Keep in mind, this is no Port Royal Resort, it's just a hotel, but they offer a lot and as I mentioned, it's a great deal if you're on a budget. If you wanna spend your money on fun versus accomodations.....this is your place. I rated this very good because it's such a great deal for a family on a budget.

Room Tip: Stay in the "Condos"...they aren't actually condos, they are remodeled rooms, but ther...
Liberty Hill, Texas, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2012

Shark Reef is obviously an old building and I had read online that many of the rooms had been remodeled. Unfortunately, we did not receive one of these rooms. The staff, including Jennifer, the manager, were all really nice and went over and above to make sure we had what we needed. Our room was clean enough, but the carpet needs to be replaced as my children's feet were turning black just from walking in the room. I had to wipe my 3 year old's feet with wet wipes several times a day because it disgusted us so. I can't speak to the continental breakfast because each morning we decided to sleep in and have breakfast in our room. The pictures of the pool on the website really over-exaggerate the size... It was very small, and since it went as deep as 8 feet, we chose not to use it while we were there. We also witnessed a child cut his foot on something on the playground, so we decided not to allow our children to use the playground because we only really had flipflops or sandals for them. The courtyard light helped keep the parking lot well-lit, however, it was so bright it made the inside of our room feel like it was daylight all night long. The first night it kept us awake, but after that we grew somewhat used to it or we were just so tired from the beach, it didn't matter as much. I would really hope they would consider putting drapes or thicker blinds up to help block the light as the window is only covered by very thin, plastic mini-blinds. I did find the mattresses to be quite comfortable. I suffer from back pain and almost always throw my back out while traveling, but I didn't here, which made for a much more pleasant vacation :) I do feel like Shark Reef Resort is over-priced for what it is. I realize it was cheaper than most places in and around the island, but I was disappointed that we were charged a weekend rate on a Sunday night, which in other places I've stayed have typically been a weeknight rate. I don't think we'll be returning, but if we do, hopefully there will be more upgrades done to the rooms.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2012 via mobile

Amazing staff, great breakfast, very kind and considerate owner. Spectacular rooms, service was exceptional. Will definitely be staying again, and will definitely recommend this hotel! There were no issues, and when I asked for help around the area, the owner Jennifer was prompt and extremely helpful.

• Stayed July 2012

Been to Shark Reef Resort? Share your experiences!