“not as bad as we were expecting.” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Port Aransas / Beach Area

You added Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Port Aransas / Beach Area to your Saves list
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Port Aransas / Beach Area
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   727 South 11th Street, Port Aransas, TX 78373   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #8 of 19 Hotels in Port Aransas
San Antonio, Texas
“not as bad as we were expecting.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

So we didnt want to pay $350/night for a condo, or $500/night for newer looking townhouse, so we opted for a good ole American chain Hotel. What could go wrong right? I called 4 days before hand to book a 1 bedroom suite and was quoted $149/night. Confirmed booking, thought we had a good price as published priced was $169/night on their website. when checking in, we were given just a room with two queen beds, not a suite. So hoofed it downstairs, they said "nope, you booked just a double queen room, but can give you a suite for $179/night. So that's $30 more than we had expected and $10 more that was published!!! WTH! No apology, just a Mexican standoff. Meanwhile some woman hollers out from an office, just give it to them... OK so, new room given to us. Plastic key card doesn't work. We were placed on the 2nd floor and low and behold we have heffalumps staying in the room above, and half a village in the room next store to us (I wondered if they got charged for having more that 6 adults and 8 kids staying in the one suite). Powdered eggs for bedfast. Noisy plumbing which kept us up until 1am due to heffalumps taking late night showers. So to keep our blood pressure down, we dont say anything,dont ask to be moved to another room. When we checked out we were charged $169/night not $149 as we thought. But at that point I was willing to pay extra just to get out.
OTW pool rules not enforced, crowed hottub with people smoking and drinking! (And no suprise, but no pool towels left out).

Room Tip: If you must stay insist on on a top floor room.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Port Aransas / Beach Area, responded to this review, September 12, 2013
Dear AvidTraveller1962,

Thank you for taking the time to express your thoughts and concerns. We work hard to create memorable guest experiences but it is unfortunate that this visit was a dissatisfaction on many levels most especially with the condition of the room you were given and if the level of service received was not up to standards. I shall forward your comments to our team to consider for enhancements needed on site.

Again, we appreciate your review and our apologies for the shortcomings.

Pam G
IHGCare

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Lampasas, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

This was a quick trip to the beach for us (myself and 2 teenage girls) at the end of summer. I chose this hotel because of my club membership and the location in spite of some of the negative reviews. First of all I knew that the service would not be up to Holiday Inn Express standards because their club members are to be greeted in a specific way and this was not done. The room was as I would have expected except the beds and bedding. The bedding was definitely worn and not up to the standards. And the bed was not standard for Holiday Inn Express. I have been a regular in these hotels for about the last 15 years. I found the people at the front desk to be less than friendly and helpful. Both printers were apparently out of ink in the business center when I need to print a document and the front desk person just said "sorry" when I asked him if he could print them on the hotel computer (5 pages of work documents). The breakfast was standard but the setup was not; therefore, there were long lines on a weekend. A simple re-arrangement with more cabinetry would solve the traffic flow problems. Everything was crowded together on a shorter than normal countertop. The addition of some portable units along the wall at the door would solve the crowding. I was less than impressed about the pool area. A couple were making out in the pool in front of several young children and my daughters and no one from the hotel was making walk-through's to assure safety and appropriate behavior. I will likely stay here again because of the location - about 3 blocks from the beach and a very easy walk and a very safe area with good parking but I hope the management brings the hotel up to Holiday Inn Express standards. For an example I would have them contact the Holiday Inn Express in Pittsburg Kansas where I stayed a couple of weeks ago - it was a 5/5. And FYI management - don't ever be proud to display a 4 rating from Trip Advisor. The 4 rating lets people know that you have some issues. Display the rating when you get a 5.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms on the first floor where the rooms face out to the parking lot or to the pool. Our room...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Port Aransas / Beach Area, responded to this review, September 6, 2013
Dear Jeananne56132,

Thank you for staying with us and leaving such a detailed review. I am glad to see that you left some feed back on what you liked as well as what fell below your expectations. Rest assured that the issues you have raised about the service you have received which fell below your expectations and the bed conditions has been documented and will be forwarded to the appropriate departments for necessary actions. While we understand that your stay was not 100% satisfactory, we would hope that you would give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Thank you again for your comments as this is very helpful to us to ensure we are able to meet our guests expectations. We look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel in the near future.

Janice A
Leander, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013

We paid $240 a night for a Queen beds suite with microwave and fridge. Room was pretty cool (temp) and normal for such a high traffic area. Bedspreads and sheets were updated, flat screen tv's in both rooms. Do not expect ocean views!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
sandersbay, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Port Aransas / Beach Area, responded to this review, August 21, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us and would like to apologize for any inconveniences you encountered during your stay. We will definitely look into making our breakfast area a better experience.
Mansfield, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

Booked through a third party using airline miles, so can't even remember the price. Called right away and spoke to a very nice front desk person who put us on the first floor and next to a family with whom we were traveling. No buckets for our kids as another reviewer mentioned, although I saw a bunch behind the desk the next day (maybe they save them for weekends or rewards travelers?).

Pros - the pools are great! Salt water pool connected to a wading pool and there is a hot tub next door. The kids loved it. Only a minute drive to the beach - buy a parking pass from the Stripes next door for $12.00 and it is good through the calendar year. Good breakfast with lots of options. Our room was clean and cool.

Cons - the staff seemed overwhelmed. Housekeeping said they would supply us with fresh towels and they didn't so I had to ask the front desk. The towel rack at the pool was usually empty. I had to ask someone at the desk to turn on the pool lights one night because somebody forgot. I asked a front desk person where to get raw oysters. His response, "I don't like seafood." Thanks, that was very helpful. There is what looks like an outdoor shower head for rinsing off, but none of the staff knew how to turn it on. One would think that any hotel this close to a beach would want to encourage it's visitors to rinse the sand off. Oh well.

Overall, my complaints are minor. Enjoyed our stay. If we choose a hotel next time it will probably be this, although I am going to look in to condo options.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
I would like to thank you for taking time out of your day to share your experience with us. I am glad you enjoyed your stay and also see that we could have made it a great experience. I apologize for any inconveniences you encountered and hope that we will see you again so we can make your next stay a problem free stay.
Abilene, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2013

Planned a quick trip to Port Aransas for 3 nights. Went with Tripadvisor hotel reviews as they had awarded this hotel an award and all the reviews were great. So I paid almost $200 per night- retail. The hotel is very rundown, has bugs, toilet didn't flush (maintenance person not at work), the hotel management offered no other accommodations (room change) whatsoever. I told them we would only stay the first night and they refused to cancel the next two nights- then I provided information about my reservation and finally they agreed since I was giving them 24 hour notice. I have pictures and someone on the hotel staff even told me they did not blame me for complaining.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Port Aransas / Beach Area, responded to this review, August 20, 2013
Dear Richard B,

Thank you very much for sharing your experience with us. Your comments are highly valuable to us and will assist us in our continuous efforts to maintain and improve the service level we aim for.

I am very disappointed to hear that your stay was not what you expected. I want to assure you that our hotel is very proud of its level of service and quality of its product and as such, I apologize if you didn't find some amenities to your liking and if the level of service provided didn't meet your expectations. We deeply regret the negative experience and impressions you may have had.

I assure you that we take every comment seriously and your review will be used to reconsider improvements needed and I hope that you can give us a chance to show what we have done.

Dhan M
Yoakum, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

The Hotel is nice enough to stay, but the location does not justify the price. It is a long walk to the beach or to any attractions. The view from any room is a parking lot. Check-out was less than desirable.

Room Tip: Get a room away from the elevators.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
sandersbay, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Port Aransas / Beach Area, responded to this review, July 30, 2013
Thank you for taking the time in sharing your experience with us we hope that we will see you again.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

This was a really nice surprise. I looked around for a last minute room in Port Aransas on Friday for the Saturday and this hotel was one of the only one to pop up. I am really glad that I took their last room. It is an amazing room and only two blocks from the beach. They have a nice pool and an even better breakfast. I was expecting crazy partiers but if they were around, I didn't hear them. Good times, good beach, great room and walking distance to a lot of things. I would stay here again, only wish we had a balcony.

• Stayed July 2013
We would like to thank you for sharing your experience with us. It always put s a smile on our face knowing that we made someones stay a happy experience.
Sincerely, May Sanders

Been to Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Port Aransas / Beach Area? Share your experiences!