“Loud” 3 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Seafood
Michigan
“Loud”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2014

Came here in spite of the less than stellar reviews. Was prepared to not like it but was relieved to really enjoy the dinner. Food and service was quite enjoyable. The only issue we had was the noise level from the bar upstairs that cascaded down the steps into the dining room. Looking forward to returning to enjoy a drink on their upper deck when the weather warms a bit.

• Visited February 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Shallow Lake, Canada
“Pleasant surprise!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2014 via mobile

Took a chance on this restaurant after we could not find the one we were initially planning on going to...what a pleasant surprise!

As has been our experience in Texas, we were asked what we wanted to drink as we were sitting down!!! But we've learned to back the overly attentive waiters off and were seated before ordering our drinks.Our waiter was friendly and eager to please and helped me select a dark beer from their offering.
My wife had the chicken-fried steak and was surprised when it was served as a sandwich, but enjoyed it nevertheless, sans bread. We shared the spinach-mushroom house salad that came with my order of fried flounder (very tasty with little batter) and fresh-cut home-cut fries....if I am going to sin with fries, I always hold out for fresh-cut. Forgetting that a salad accompanied my meal I added a cup of green-pepper shrimp soup to my order.... outstanding! A bowl of the soup and the salad would have been ideal.
For dessert, my wife had the pecan cobbler (something like a southern version of our 'tart' which she loved (as did I for my two tiny sample tastes). There was no chocolate on the dessert menu so I was not about to have dessert but the waiter scared up some cheese-cake with chocolate drizzle...how could I say no? Very tasty and not heavy but still a classic New York cheese cake, not one of the 'Jello-fluff' variety that some restaurants are trying to pass off as cheesecake these days.
All in all, it was good food at a reasonable price served up by a friendly and capable server. A great way to wind down our two weeks in Texas.

Visited February 2014
Durango, CO
“Not a good idea”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2014

You know, the guy that waited our table was nice enough, but the place is so poorly managed that he was embarrassed.

"New Year's Day black eyed pea SPECIAL, with cabbage and ham."

Sounds like a good way to start the year, so my wife and I went for it. We were promptly seated, given water, and our orders were taken. So far, so good.

30 minutes pass. No problem, we told the nice waiter. After 45 minuted, he apologizes for the wait, and gives us a plate of cabbage with some ham that was obviously purchased at a sandwich meat isle at a grocery store. He tells us that they are having problems with the black-eyed peas. After an hour, he tells us that there will be no black-eyed peas, so he bought us a small cup of beans instead.

During our visit, we witnessed a women get up and walk out the door after waiting for over 30 minutes to be served.

We were not upset. We were just happy to be in Port A, but come on... To go to all of the trouble to write "New Years Day SPECIAL, black-eyed peas" on a chalkboard, propped up on the sidewalk in front of the restaurant, and then not even cook any? How screwed up is that?

The waiter was a nice guy tho. Just saying...

• Visited January 2014
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Texas
“Nice place but disappointing”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013 via mobile

Service was ridiculously slow and inattentive, only one other table yet we couldn't get refills on tea. Salad came after dinner piled on a plate that was to small to hold it. Food was good, menu very limited and a bit pricey.

• Visited September 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
San Antonio
“Terrible customer service, didn't get a chance to try the food”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

Hungry at the end of a long day, we decided to do a late dinner at The Fish House. After seating two groups in front of us, we were asked to wait for a table that was occupied by a couple finishing their dinner. We were confused a little, because there were 2 open tables in front of us. But, we waited for 20 minutes outside (as the only guests in line). We went back inside and asked if they could sit us in one of the open tables. They said "no" they were "waiting to see if any large groups would show up." After waiting for so long staring at open tables, we left and went across the stree to eat at The Pelican Club (which was fabulous).

• Visited September 2013