“Marcel's Brings A Little Germany to Port Aransas” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #3 of 72 restaurants in Port Aransas
Cuisines: German, Seafood, Steakhouse, Continental
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Dessert
Description: Marcel's Restaurant is located at 905 Hwy 361 (S. Alister Street becomes Hwy 361 as you head south of the main part of town). We are located almost directly across the street from the Seafood & Spaghetti Works building.
Ruidoso, New Mexico
“Marcel's Brings A Little Germany to Port Aransas”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2014

This was our second visit to Marcel's, one of the few Port Aransas eateries open Monday nights. Marcel and Dorie Althauser have crafted a true gem, with good food and date-night ambience.

As was the case during our first visit last year, Sierra Patton was our waitress. Personable and attentive, she once again made us feel at home.

In fact, everyone on the staff is friendly and accommodating. A waiter catching a breath of fresh air out front held the door for us, and Dorie herself greeted us inside. We began with homemade bread, German draft beer, and crab-stuffed jalapenos. Five large jalapenos came with the order; we could've easily devoured twice as many. They were outstanding!

The German entrées were solid performers, as good as any found in restaurants of other German enclaves dotting Texas.

My wife is a bread pudding fanatic, the three of us split an order for dessert. A bit sweet for my own taste, but certain to please the most dessert aficionados.

Put Marcel's at the top of your Port Aransas list.

• 4 of 5 stars Food

85% Recommend
Carlsbad, New Mexico, United States
“Great German Food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2014

Nice little restaurant with great food and wonderful service. Was met by the waiter at the door and seated, took our drink orders and let us relax a bit. We had the veal schnitzel and it was great.

Williamsport, Pennsylvania
“A hidden gem”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2014

The exterior of the restaurant is low-key, and would be easily overlooked, but do not miss it. The menu is mostly German, but is all good. My wife and I are visiting on a short vacation after a business conference.

She had the Sauerbraten and I had the Veal Weiner Schnitzel. I am of German extraction and it is the best I have eaten (forgive me Grandma). We shared, so I taste both dishes, and they were outstanding.

I did a bit of a cultural mash up and had the Asian Crab soup, which was tasty (but I am not an Asian cuisine expert). We finished with a raspberry creme brulee. I do not want to neglect the wine list (we tried both a fantastic Riesling and the house Chardonney). As a starter I had a Spaten on tap.

Our waitress, Sierra, was welcoming, helpful, and attentive.

My only suggestion would be a home-made pumpernickel as the bread.

We will be visiting Marcel's again before we leave. If you visit Port Aransas, do not miss Marcel's.

Puyallup, Washington
“Marcel's offers the best steaks and service on the Island”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2014

Winter Texans looking for a classic DINING experience will truly enjoy Marcel's. We have visited twice since Nov 2013 with various friends. The menu is extensive but I come here for the perfectly prepared filet you can cut with a fork. Last night our friends from Seattle had an "amazing" meal. Bring your own bottle of fine wine if you wish. We have paid more for much less. Ask for our server Allan.

Waialua, Hawaii
“One of the best restaurents in TEXAS”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2014

We visited Marcel's Restaurent, Port Aransas, Texas during the holidays in December. What an experience it was. Service was outstanding. They cared about us and made feel so comfortable and at home there. We will be coming there whenever we are in town. Sierra was our server. She's the best. We love her. See you next Sierra. Joe and Judy Steiner Sextons River, Vermont

• Visited December 2013