“Hidden Gem” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 76 Restaurants in Port Aransas
Cuisines: Steakhouse, German, Seafood, International
Good for: Special occasions, Doing business, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Marcel's Restaurant is located at 905 Hwy 361 (S. Alister Street becomes Hwy 361 as you head south of the main part of town). We are located almost directly across the street from the Seafood & Spaghetti Works building.
Houston, Texas
“Hidden Gem”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

Marcels is a hidden gem in Port Aransas. Marcels has a German/American menu with many specials. The hostess is the wife of owner/chef Marcel and couldn't have been more pleasant. The portions were generous and the food was excellent. I had the veal venerschnitzl and my wife had the veal scallopini and we were very happy. Our group also had the Jumbo shrimp, and the fish special. The childrens menu included many choices that the kids loved. We will definately visit Marcels again.

Visited July 2013

Cedar Park, Texas
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Excellent Specials”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

We were walk-ins, around 6pm on July 4th. We had no problem getting a table. Service was quite friendly. We had the two seafood specials-- my wife had the Scallops and I had the Red Snapper. It was probably the best seafood we had on our trip and the bar was very high. The toddler loved the shrimp bisque soup of the day, he eat most of ours.

Visited July 2013
Austin, Texas
“A Pleasant Restaurant on the Coast”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

Marcel's is a cozy and inviting restaurant in Port Aransas. My husband and I were promptly greeted and seated when we arrived for our 8:15 reservation. Locals had recommended this establishment to us during our last stay in Port A, so we tried it this time around. I ordered the amberjack and grilled shrimp (a blackboard special), and my husband had the veal wienerschnitzel. Each entree came with a choice of soup or salad. We both tried the salad with house vinaigrette. The buttercress lettuce salad plates that arrived were chilled, presented artfully, and came with some delicious marinated carrots and cucumbers on it. Enjoyable and refreshing as a starter. Homemade bread was also served before the meal (a nice touch). Entrees were good, generous, and cooked just right, although I thought the steamed rice that accompanied the fish was a tad bland, but my husband really enjoyed the potatoes that were paired with the meat. A fresh vegetable medley was also was served with each dish (tasty). Also, my mouth watered when I saw another table devour the fried shrimp with panko bread crumbs. Marcel's prepared two on a plate for me to try (yum - will definitely get on another visit). Gianni (sp.?) was an attentive server. Meal was leisurely. We will return when on the island and save room for dessert.

Corpus Christi, Texas
“Surprise find!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013 via mobile

I have driven by this restaurant many times, it doesn't look terribly impressive from the outside and his tucked away off the street. But I decided to stop by based on trip advisor reviews and I am glad I did! The menu selection is a bit random, but fine with me because it gives you many choices and the quality of food was great! Some items are reasonably priced while others are a bit overpriced, but we were more than satisfied! The service is exceptional!

Austin, Tx
“Nice change of pace”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013

We rolled up to Marcel's at 5.30pm on friday. We actually thought they may have been closed since there parking lot was empty. We cruised inside and was greated by our waiter Alan. He showed us to a nice table in the upstairs dining area. Tables were set with linen and was pretty classy ambiance. A little old school, but very different from other places we have been in Port A so far. We were the only patrons in the place and it remained that way for awhile. Not to worry, Alan was very helpful with suggestions on the menu and drink selections.

Marcel's has a German influence, with many German wines/beers and dishes on the menu. The owner Marcel, came by and we visited with him quite a bit. Very affable gentleman. We pursued the menu and decided to order the specials of Amberjack with chipolte aioli sauce, Israeli Couscous and steamed veggies, the Suziemeister opted for the other special Red Snapper, battered in potato chips, with new potato and spinach. These entrees came with a salad. We also ordered appetizers of crab cakes and Salmon.

Crab cakes were fine and came with two big dollops of tartar on top. I would of preferred it on the side, but it was easily scrapped off no worries. They were ok, nothing spectacular. The salmon was great. The whipped cream horseradish side was afab. It was a great serving for two to share. I also liked the little slivers of red onion and capers. Nice start. This was followed by traditional salads with shredded carrots, not my fave but very European, iceberg lettece, tomato and shredded cabbage. They were refreshing.

Entrees arrived and again I found my Amberjack served with big dollops of sauce on top of two pieces, again not a real issue since I just scrapped it to the side. This is just a personal choice, others may like a lot of sauce. It was cooked perfectly as was the veg, but the couscous was a little starchy, not little pearls and may have been overcooked a tad. Suzies Snapper was very good indeed. A big portion and she enjoyed the sauce, however the fish would of been great on it's own. Sauteed Spinach was wilted just right with garlic and the German potatoes were fantastic.

A couple of items to note. Ask for Alan as your server if possible. He was polite, engaging and generally had a great vibe to him. Marcel is a character and loves to talk about his country and recipes he has developed. You will find the decor a little dated, but it works. It's a non-smoking establishment and only serves beer and wine