“Play with your food!” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Lunch, Dinner
Texas
“Play with your food!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

Who doesn't love to have huge helpings of crawfish, shrimp, crab, and fixin's dumped on their table?? If you don't, this is not your dive.
Playing with your food--another family favorite! We entertained our 2 year-old while I sang the "chef song" from The LIttle Mermaid.
Food was yummy and overly plentiful. They do not serve anything fried but do offer a kids' pizza. Also, have gumbo, jambalaya...and I think that's it. Simple, yet tasty--the Cajun Dump!

Red Oak, Texas
“Food was just ok”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

The portions for every thing but their big plate are very small and very blah in taste. Server was attentive though. We wouldn't go back

Granbury, TX
“Prepare to Sweat and Get Messy”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013

I'm certainly glad I resisted the temptation to turn the two of us around and adjourn to another place when the hostess with the faint port wine birth mark on her right jaw rolled her eyes after I asked if credit cards are accepted.

You see, across the street at La Playa they take none; here at Crazy Cajun the sole reference to plastic is a small American Express placard, adjacent to the door handle.

Teenagers. You gotta love 'em.

Or, not.

So, we went into this humid and hot place, packed with patrons crowded around messy paper-covered tables, and took our place at one along the wall.

The sourdough bread brought to placate us during our brief wait for food was very nice. Not the best, but a nice way to start the meal. A racquetball-sized scoop of butter that would make my cardiologist faint accompanied our bread.

My Landshark beer arrived with a wedge of lime in a small clear plastic cup; but, it was chilly and welcome indeed.

I found the shrimp gumbo to be delicious, with a generous portion of shrimp chunks. My wife ordered the "Hungry Cajun" seafood boil, which came with crab legs, shrimp, some of the most succulent sausage I've tasted in my life, and no fewer than a half-dozen large shrimp, all steamed to perfection. Salty melted butter made is even mo' better. She'd waived the crawfish normally included, and got more shrimp instead.

It is crowded, and well-worn, but a nice place to stumble into after a day at the beach. Don't bother dressing up, and prepare to leave sweaty and spattered with some of the best cajun steamed cooking money can buy. Basic, but decent.

• Visited June 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“Fun and entertaining”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

Everyone we met recommended the Crazy Cajun and I'm so glad they did! The food was not the best but it was still good. The live music was entertaining. Our only real complaint was that our portion consisted mostly of sausage instead od seafood. The staff was wonderful and it was fun getting to smash your food with a hammer.

San Antonio, Texas
“Fun atmosphere, spicy food, be prepared to get messy.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013

Ok, we were really hungry, the Beach Street Grill (which we like) across the street was crowded, so we parked at Crazy Cajun and walked in. There was live entertainment.
The kid saw hammers at the next table and said "I want that!" The waiter dumped a pile of spicy, boiled corn on the cob, red potatoes, unpeeled shrimp, whole crawfish, King crab legs and other stuff onto the paper on the table. It isn't the best seafood on the island, but we certainly had a good time.

• Visited May 2013