“Worst Hotel Managers Ever” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Alister Square Inn

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Port Aransas
Alister Square Inn
You added Alister Square Inn to your Saves list
122 S Alister St, Port Aransas, TX 78373   |
Ranked #17 of 19 Hotels in Port Aransas
central TX
“Worst Hotel Managers Ever”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2009

Honestly, the people running this hotel should find another line of work. They don't know how to run a hotel or deal with people. They can't keep track of reservations, can't keep rooms clean, and have no idea what is advertised on their own website. They get mad if you complain and will threaten to throw you out with no refund. The rooms are stinky and none of the managers want to help with anything, which is why they try to get your money up front.
Do yourself a huge favor and don't even bother with this place. It should be shut down. You will hate it, I guarantee.
Just look at these reviews. Over 70% negative! Are we all crazy! I don't think so.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
San Antonio, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2009

We decided to stay at the Alister Square Inn due to family staying near a condo home. The location was awsome and the room was not bad at all. The Air Condition worked very well and the room was very clean. We didn't have a chance to visit the pool area, but it looked pretty good. We stayed for two days and loved every minute of it ... Despite that my younger brother snores like a "Big Bear in Heat!" LOL ... :-)
Darlene the manger was very nice too. Great place with a little price!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Austin Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2009

What Happened to the Allister Inn? I stayed here for years just to get away and was always satisfied. They had great rates and a comfortable room. I live in Austin, TX and decided to spend a couple days fishing. When I arrived the front desk lady was very nice and I reserved my room for one night with a possible second night depending on the fishing. I unloaded my gear (alot) and went to dinner. When I returned the room was as hot as it was when I first arrived. I tried to adjust the A/C, but it would stop. I contacted the front desk and they advised to unplug and reset for a specific amount of time. I did that with extra time and it still was not cooling. By this time it was 8:30 PM and I was ready to go to bed for an early start in the morning. I contacted the front desk again and asked to change rooms, the parking lot was empty so I thought it would not be a problem. When I went to get a new key a lady I had not seen came out of the back room and was very angry. She pulled the invoice and said the A/C is not to be set below 72 degrees and did you set it below that. I said yes and she said we even highlighted it for you and I said i was sorry, it took 4 hours to get here and i did not read your small print. All i wanted was another room with an A/C that would work. She and I went back and fourth and she even said you see that camera, it has audio too. I was being very polite I even looked at the lady that checked me in and she said "don't look at her she can't help you". She asked if I wanted my money back and I said no a different room. I asked her if she was throwing me out of her hotel and she said no. I got a new key and when I got back to my room the A/C was finally running. I chose to stay in the room, but it still did not function well and it was hot and uncomfortable. I write this review because I used to love the Allister Inn and stayed whenever I came into town without a problem. They must have changed ownership because I have never been treated so disrespectful in my life at a hotel. I did stay an extra day next door at Captains Quarters and they were very friendly and had a very nice place for a little less money. Hope this helps.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled solo
ali85ste, Manager at Alister Square Inn, responded to this review, March 19, 2009
The Alister Square Inn in Port Aransas deeply regrets that our guest did not feel that our staff was not responsive to his requests. At Alister Square Inn we take pride in our reputation of outstanding customer service and extend an invitation to the guest to please give us a future opportunity to prove it to him.

Sincerly,
Darlene Smith
San Antonio
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2008

In the past we have used this place 4-5 times a year for our weekend get-a-ways and have been doing so for some 6-7 years but I have noticed a decline the past few visits(couple of years). I kept thinking that maybe I just caught them on a bad day but it keeps getting worse every visit. It used to be one of the best values in Port A but I have definitely noticed a decline. It has NOT been well maintained and is filthy and run down - the bottoms of our feet were black from walking barefoot on the carpet. There were stains on the mattresses which I saw only because the sheet was put on carelessly and coming off, which I had to re-do, and the pillows are scary. On one visit, the smoke detector was hanging by the wires from the ceiling. The beds are very uncomfortible and sagging in the middle from overuse. We could hear the family talking in the room next to us and the "continental breakfast" is half a granola bar and old coffee. I tried booking a room last September online and when I told the girl at the desk this, she looked at me like a deer in headlights and had no clue what I was talking about. This place is a dump and not worth the money. We are going to change our "regular place".

• Disliked — dirty, overpriced
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
ali85ste, Manager at Alister Square Inn, responded to this review, December 17, 2009
We have new mattresses in all rooms. We are currently updating the outside of our hotel. Our continental breakfast includes: cold cereals, bagels with a toaster, jellies, muffins, Danishes, breakfast cookie, granola bars, fresh milk, butter, cream cheese, hot coffee, hot chocolate, hot tea, orange juice and apple juice. We are disappointed you did not find our rooms up to your standard. We strive to make our rooms as clean and comfortable as possible, we hope you will stay with us again in the future.
San Antonio, TX
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2008

The first odd thing about the Alister Square Inn was that we were required to pay for our entier stay up front - before we had even been issued our key cards. That should have been enough of a red flag right then that we should NOT have stayed there!

We checked in late at night, but had called twice to confirm we were still coming. When we opened the door to the room, we saw that someone was asleep in the bed as we quickly closed the door! Back in the office, the staff person said she had no record of anyone being in that room. The manager was called; she had a rude, defensive attitude, trying somehow to shift the blame to us for their disorganization. After a wait of about 30 minutes, they finally determined that there was a room they could put us in.

They did refund us the cost of the first night, with the statement that they "never" refund anyone's money - like they were doing us a favor. This was red flag #2 - intimating that refund requests were a common occurance.

The kitchenette room was reasonably clean and spacious, and the A/C was functional but obtrusively loud. The shower was poor - low water pressure and very sparse showerhead. The mattresses were horribly uncomfortable - very thin with poor support, and one even had broken springs. The beds had bed spreads and sheets only - no blankets. The smoke detector was either completely dead or not really connected to anything.

About 2:30 a.m. the first night, we began to hear loud stomping and shouting from the room above us. This went on for quite some time, even after we called the front desk and complained.

Our experience the first night was so bad that, even though we had already paid for night #2 and knew better than to expect a refund, we tried to find another hotel to move to, but found no vacancies.

We had a similar experience the second night with the noise and shouting from the room above us, as well as people laughing and shouting outside of the room. We again called the front desk to complain, and threatened to call the police if they didn't do something about it this time. They seemed oddly nervous about our mention of the police. We found broken beer bottles around our vehicle when we left in the morning.

Although this motel is very conveniently located, there are far too many other options available in Port A to put up with staying here. On top of the disorganized, defensive and unprofessional demeanor of the limited staff, the uncomfortable rooms and unsafe environment make the Alister Square Inn a terrible choice for a place to stay.

• Stayed June 2008
TX
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2008

We stayed at the Alister Square Inn for only 2 nights. We had planned to stay for 5 nights, but after 2 we just couldn't take it anymore. The room was pretty dirty to begin with, and they didn't clean it for us either day. When we called to ask to have it cleaned after we got back in, they told us the housekeeper was gone for the day. And they were very rude about it, too. They wouldn't even bring us fresh towels. We have never had such a bad experience and will never stay there again.

• Liked — Nothing!
  • Disliked — It was dirty and the people were very rude.
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Austin, TX
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2008

My wife and I spent a weekend at the Alister Square Inn in Port Aransas, and it was the absolute worst experience we have ever had, at any business. Apparently, they are having problems with "unauthorized" people getting into their hotel rooms. We know this because on Saturday morning, the managers were pounding on our door, shouting for us to "Open the door!". We were startled, to say the least, but when we opened the door, they demanded to know what we were doing in that room because they didn't have any record of anyone being checked into that room. What???? They had just checked us in the night before! They continued to confront us, and as we started getting upset about how they were treating us, we were told that if we didn't calm down, they were going to "throw us out on our [--] with no refund". The whole thing was quite bizarre and very disturbing. We have never been treated so rudely and disrespectfully, anywhere, ever. We will never stay at one of their properties again, and highly recommend against it for anyone else. The management obviously doesn't know how to treat guests, and they have security and safety concerns with "unauthorized" people having access to rooms.

• Liked — it was indoors
  • Disliked — everything else
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Alister Square Inn? Share your experiences!