“Bright spot in Port Aransas” 4 of 5 stars
Review of A Laughing Horse Lodge

You added A Laughing Horse Lodge to your Saves list
A Laughing Horse Lodge
3.5 of 5 Ranch   |   503 East Avenue G at 11th Street, Port Aransas, TX 78373   |
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Los Angeles, California
“Bright spot in Port Aransas”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

I came with a group of five girlfriends for a weekend at the beach. We booked Spirited Pony and an efficiency. Four of us shared Spirited Pony very comfortably and had a great, bonding, joyful weekend. The beach is only about 4 blocks away, an easy walk back and forth. The cottage was painted in bright, cheerful colors and furnished with comfortable furniture. We spent evenings sitting out on a little patio with nice wooden adirondack chairs. A/C units in the windows kept the interior cool, even in August. There was an odd assortment of kitchen utensils, but enough cups, glasses, bowls and plates. Towels and bedding could be exchanged every day, if needed. the only complaint was that the shower controls desperately needed replacement. Hope that's been done by now!
Would we do this again? If we come to Port Aransas, this is where we'd stay hands down!

Room Tip: If you can afford a cottage, go for it. The walls are thin so like who you're sharing with;) S...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
Azle
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013 via mobile

This was our 5th time staying at this hotel. We always rent a bigger unit than we really need but that is because those units are closer to the large dog walking area

Hotel is very close to beach. Rooms have always been clean and the small kitchen area with refrig and freezer are nice.

Just a very comfortable place to stay when traveling with the dog

We will stay here in the future. Dog run area is large and sand burr free

Rob Kiebler
El Indio Texas

• Stayed August 2013
Austin TX
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2013

We aren't chain people. We like places that are offbeat and memorable. Laughing Horse Lodge fit the bill exactly. We felt welcome by the staff, the happy decor and the cool A/C. Our dogs were not just tolerated but welcome too. We got a beach permit and ice at Stripes nearby and hit the beach at the end of the road. After bobbing in the ocean for a few hours, we returned to the room and took the best showers of our lives. We boiled shrimp in the little kitchen and kicked back to watch some mindless TV. We slept soundly. What a memorable experience. Thanks for sharing your place with us.

Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2013

I will never stay at laughing horse lodge again. My daughter was scared by a giant cockroach. The bathroom sink didn't drain well enough to even brush your teeth in the bathroom. The beds and linens were uncomfortable and in general my children were grossed out. We left a day early even paying for a night we didn't use.

• Stayed August 2013
Austin, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

Everything about this place was awesome. Dog friendly, cute, and they thought of everything. The room had everything we needed and they left dog biscuits with the bowls they provided. They even had a dog tag to put on my dogs collar with the lodge's information should my dog have gotten lost. It was totally kitsch and cute. Everything was CLEAN and in good working order. The grounds were nice. I'm in love with this place. The only reason I can't rate it a perfect five is the bed was terrible. When the two of us layed on it, it was like being in a bed taco. My back hated me while I was there. Why such a perfect place with such awful beds? I mean a motel is a place to sleep, don't mess the sleep up. Just a bit pricey too. Anyways, everything else was just so enjoyable I can't wait to go back.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Austin, Texas, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

My cottage was a fun, eclectic, and decent place to stay for the weekend, but what sets it apart is the attention to detail for my four-legged family members. Not only did they have doggie towels and a water dish at the front door, they had a full-blown dog wash station (with pet-friendly soap) to wash off the salt and sand. The Lodge provided id tags in case the dogs decided to roam, and a designated dog walk area, complete with waste bags and disposal bins. For two-legged visitors, this is your basic beach cottage, with colorful decor and comfortable beds. I appreciated the dining advice and I was thrilled with every recommendation. The location is terrific - blocks from the beach and a short walk to many restaurants. The only down side was that I could here my my neighbors on the other side of my wall. Next time, I'll book a detached cottage to have more privacy.

Room Tip: Book a detached cabin for more privacy.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

We took a mini-break with a group of friends. This place was great, close to the beach, restaurants and bars. I'd definitely recommend it to other friends. It's so eclectic which is part of its charm. I'd definitely stay again.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Dark Horse (5B) which is at the very front of the property and even with weekend re...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends

Been to A Laughing Horse Lodge? Share your experiences!