“Just as promised!” 4 of 5 stars

$5 off room rate
San Antonio, Texas
“Just as promised!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013

Booked a last minute stay for my son and I got get down for a group event on the Island. I wanted clean, efficient, friendly and comfortable. We could not have been more pleased with the promises kept at this efficiency motor hotel room. Parked right in front of our room which we found in prefect order. It is obviously an older property but had some good updates, nice TV, appliances, microwave, refrigerator and coffee maker all in working order. Nice AC blowing with very fresh towels, clean sheets and the benefit of being a larger efficiency because of the age of the property. The location lends itself to a quick trip or an overnight with family. I would have given five stars except for some very minor quirks. I would trust a stay at this property, thanks to the staff for making the extra effort, I hope you are rewarded for your work and expense.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Brownwood, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2013

My family stay here most every time we are in Port A. We have done so for the past 30 odd years. We have tried other places at times but for what my family needs we can not beat staying here. My family looks for 1) clean and safe rooms 2) air conditioner works well 3) place to park our boat that is safe when we are not using it and easy to get in and out of parking area 4) has kitchen to cook when wanting to cook that has all utensils furnished 5) convenience to the boat ramp 6) short distance to grocery store and other stores in town. 6) one of the best eating places in town right across the street. 7) swimming pool is an added bonus. 8) Beds are comfortable 9) Fish house to clean our fish is real handy!

We are gone most of the day fishing and messing around and do not require the finest of everything. But, for my family , this place has always served us well and will call for a reservation here shortly for my next fishing trip to the gulf. Thanks Tropic Island, I will see you soon!!!! Tommy T

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
San Antonio, Texas, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013

i always enjoy our visits my dad has taken us since we were little and we will be visiting again in august i can not wait. kids are excited abut pool! the ac is sooper cool, rooms are always clean ,pool and hot tub was great,my dads favorite. location was good too i went to pick up food and surprise my dad. he always pays ,a plus haha.i havent been by in a few years and i cant wait to see you .

Room Tip: always been great not picky
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Dallas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013 via mobile

Was in for this past weekend. Room was ready so was able to check in z little early. Room had been updated since last visit a couple of years. New flat screen. Tile floors. Bathroom was small but clean. Will be back again during the summer. Had a great time while in port a and this is a great place to stay. Great location close to everything

• Stayed June 2013
Weatherford
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

We just finished staying at this RV park for our third AND LAST time. We booked reservations there about 4 weeks prior to our arrival at a set rate, and provided a credit card number as a guarantee. When we arrived - our weekly rate had gone up about 45% over what was on their website and what I was quoted when I made reservations.

I appealed to Ken (the owner) but he said "My website has warnings all over it that prices are subject to change WITHOUT NOTICE." He assured me it was "legal". I tried to explain to him that there is a big difference between what's LEGAL and what is ETHICAL.

We decided to stay rather than lose the deposit for canceling, but vowed not to come back.

It was Mother's Day weekend when we arrived, and one of my sons had sent a Mother's Day card to my wife with a $50 VISA Gift Card in it. At the office the young very immature girl working there at first denied that the card ever arrived - then after about 10-minutes of half-heartedly looking around the office for it decided "Oh...it came, but I sent it back because it was in your wife's name and she wasn't registered...only you."

That was a week ago, my son still hasn't received it returned int he mail - so tomorrow morning we will file a complaint with the US Postal Service and let them sort through it.

STAY AWAY from this place.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
tropicislandresort, Owner at Tropic Island Resort, responded to this review, May 22, 2013
we did send out notices we wear going to go up i was not going to charge him canceled fee we still have the best location in and the best park far as his mail we are not us postal office take up with them he accused me and staff of steeling his card i don't open people mail we still have have the best rates in port aransas
San Antonio, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

Never a bad time here!!! Ken has always been fair with myself & everyone I have referred to Tropic Island RV!!! RV spots here have more room between them than any other park on the island. Also a big plus is San Juan Restaurant is directly across the street...perfect for early morning breakfast tacos!!!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Austin, Texas, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012

What used to be a fairly good place, is now owned by a real jerk. Reserved 2 sites for 5 nights for my family and elderly parents. The owner put us in 1 site with 2 sets of utilities, obviously wouldn't fit our pop-ups in, even though I told them mine was larger than usual. He then had my folks move to another spot and was obviously angry about them not fitting there. Then told my parents they would have to leave 2 days early because he had other people coming in for 5 nights in their spot he put them in. So, they left 2 days early. The, for 2 days no one showed up in their spot. The 3rd day someone did, and we asked them if they had reserved that spot, they said no, they just called and it was available. The owner was supposed to have credited my folks for the 2 days they didn't stay, and thought he did, but instead billed them another day. They called me about mine, and it was correct, so I told them I would call. The owner wasn't there, but called me back shortly. He said we have spent more on phone calls than what their credits were, and I told him, no, we were using cell phones. So, he owes my folks for 2 nights they didn't stay, and told us to never come back. And,we won't... The owner obviously has issues going on that makes him an angry person, as he used to not be like that. I had been going to this RV place for about 15 years, prior to his ownership, and back then it was good. Even other campers around us told us he was rude, and they also wouldn't be back. I tried to defend him as he had always been pretty good to me, but apparently times have changed, and I can no longer defend him! Now my folks will have to get their 2 night credit via their credit card co. Also, when they paid, he wasn't happy when they were paying by credit instead of debit, and told them,"SO, you want me to have to pay the extra 2.5%? What a rear end he has become, no longer a nice guy....

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
tropicislandresort, Owner at Tropic Island Resort, responded to this review, December 14, 2012
We try to please our guests and to accomadate them to the best of our ability. We tried to make this customer happy but were unable to. We gave this customer 2 sites for the price of one because their pop up camper was longer than usual. We were also in the process of refunding this customer's credit card but a stop payment had already been placed by the customer before this could happen.
This is the second review this customer has left in regards to this transaction, but under a different name.

Been to Tropic Island Resort? Share your experiences!