“Great location, a few quirks” 4 of 5 stars

Tarpon Inn
200 E. Cotter, Port Aransas, TX 78373   |
Ranked #2 of 4 Port Aransas B&B and Inns
Colorado Springs, Colorado
“Great location, a few quirks”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

When you ask for historic & quaint, you get a lot of character with a few limitations.

THE GOOD:
On check-in I received a surprise, complementary upgrade from a queen room to the upstairs corner suite (room 29) with separate living area, fridge, and microwave. The bedroom itself was very large with plenty of room to unroll a yoga mat, and a clawfoot tub! There was a shower in the separate bathroom. Décor was suitable antique-y. The queen bed was super comfy but the head & foot boards were made of iron; the foot board had weird projections at thigh-level that whacked the h*** out of my leg till I draped white towels over them to remind me to steer clear.

It was lovely to sit in a rocking chair on the porch with a beverage and watch the world go by. At peak season the traffic noise might be a problem, but in January it was lovely. The inn’s location is excellent, a stone’s throw away from the intersection of Cotter Street and 361, with the harbor & Fisherman’s Wharf, home of the Wharf Cat and Scat Cat, across the street.

THE NOT-SO-GOOD:
Stairs to the second floor rooms were narrow and steep and the handrail didn’t go all the way up – it’s necessary to grab onto the posts of the upstairs guard rail toward the top of the stairs. Also, they are painted gray so that it’s hard to tell where each one ends. At the beginning of my 3-night stay I thought I’d get used to them but found myself less and less comfortable as the visit went on.

The heating/AC unit in the living area was so high up in the wall that I could barely see the knobs. It was quite a stretch to reach them, and I’m 5’5”. Windows were painted shut so couldn’t be opened, which is a shame for fresh-air fiends like me. Controls on some of the blinds were broken and couldn’t be opened or closed. The room did not include a hair dryer, alarm clock, or Kleenex, but I’d brought my own.

Room Tip: Noise alert! The Inn’s owners have just opened a restaurant with an upstairs bar right next to the e...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Community of Madrid, Spain
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

We stayed in one of the efficiency appartments there, it was big enough for two people and very nice. It may be a little bit too expensive since you don't have breakfast or cleaning everyday, but because it is really a good place to stay the rating is still good.
The Inn itself is probably more beautiful, the efficiency appartments are two blocks away from the Inn itself.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Corpus Christi, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2012

We have been staying at the Tarpon Inn for several years now when we come to Port A. My son was married here a few years ago. It came under new management a couple years ago and it has gotten even better.we always stay in the old historical building even though the owners have added an updated part that have all the modern amenities including phones in the rooms an television. The rustic part has wireless Internet but no TV or in room phones. There is a long porch in front of the rooms and rocking chairs in front of each room so you can sit, relax and watch the world go by. Several restaurants and a really good micro brewery within easy walking distance. Not a bad place to stay at all.

Room Tip: I have not tried the hotel restaurant so I cannot help you there.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2012 via mobile

We read several great reviews of the Tarpon Inn. Unfortunately, the one bedroom house they rent (called the Alister House) doesn't appear to have the same standards as the Inn. The lack of cleanliness was alarming. We immediately noticed roach droppings throughout the kitchen drawers and cabinets. After washing everything down with Clorox, we thought we would be okay...not so much. We were disturbed by the amount of roaches and ants we saw throughout the week of our stay. We would not recommend this place at all. Another strange thing..,no closet or any place to hang your clothes. On a positive note, the house is in a great location. The appliances were all new and worked well. The bed was pretty comfortable. Too bad the bug infestation was so bad. We definitely expected better accommodations for the price.

• Stayed September 2012
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2012

We have stayed at the Tarpon for nearly 20 years and it is always such a wonderful place to be to recharge and relax. No phones, no TV, just sit in a rocking chair and enjoy! Go unplugged and reacquaint yourself the real world... My favorite times go are early spring and October and November. Had a great visit with the owner last time we were there.

• Stayed June 2012
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2012

The Tarpon Inn is a charming place in the heart of Port Aransas.  The room was cute, quiet and clean enough. The decor had a rustic charm with shiplap wood walls, wood floor and a queen size bed that sat high off the floor. The room had no TV, which adds to the quiet feel.  The room was air conditioned with a small window unit that worked just fine.  If you are over 6 feet tall, the small claw foot tub is a tight fit.
We were there on a Sunday and after the rooms were cleaned, the staff left the garbage cans overflowing with trash bags. This was distracting from the charm of the large sitting porch the ran the length of the building.
All in all, though, a positive experience and we would stay there again.

• Stayed July 2012
Shawnee, Oklahoma
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2012

I had some trouble booking online, thought I booked onsite with 2 beds. Went to check in and they told me I had booked offsite with one queen. I was very worried because I had a large family. I did not know I booked offsite either. The staff appologized for the confusion and ended up putting us in the Fisherman's suite which was great! And at the same rate!! Wonderful! One queen bed and three twin beds. That queen was the best sleep I had on my entire week long trip to TX. No T.V. which I was worried about the it turned out to be a blessing because we all stayed out late and woke up early and ventured out so we made no time for T.V.! We could walk to anything around us, shopping, restaurant's, bars, fishing. We didn't want to be too close to the beach so Tarpon Inn was perfect in every way. Room was cleaned and stocked early each day. Quiet atmosphere too. Loved the old-time feel to this hotel, great for families!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Been to Tarpon Inn? Share your experiences!