“What a shame!” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Island Retreat

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Port Aransas
Island Retreat
You added Island Retreat to your Saves list
700 Island Retreat Road, Port Aransas, TX 78373   |
San Antonio, Texas
“What a shame!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2010

We stayed in 126 Island Retreat. It's a great little condo on the beach. Great location in the community, near the pool and picnic areas, and tennis courts. We came to enjoy the beach as we do several times a year, every year. We don't spend much time in the condo, but we wanted one that was clean and comfortable and close to the beach. It seemed we got everything that we were looking for until we got back to the condo after a long day, and the a/c didn't work. We suffered through the first night miserably. I did not want to call anyone and have them totally disrupt my child's sleep so I called Coastline Adventures the next morning to get someone out to check the a/c. I called the local number and the toll free number during office hours and left messages on both numbers. I never heard anything back from them until the next day, shortly before check out time (convenient timing???). At check out, Kimberly K (who definitley deserves to be fired) was awful! She told me that I should have called the after hours emergency #. I told her that I called during office hours both times. She was extremely argumentative and actually insinuated that I may have done something to damage the a/c because after all it was working just fine when the maid cleaned before we got there. I told her that perhaps she could use a lesson or two in customer handling, and reminded her that I was a repeat customer of Coastline Adventures, and that I have referred many people to them. I then told her that never again would I refer anyone to Coastline Adventures, and I left. What a shame that the owner of this cute little condo uses such a shady organization to rent out her condo. She would be well advised to delegate that to another more reputable and respectful company. Thanks for nothing Coastline Advnetures!

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Austin, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2010

My fiance and I reserved a house back in October for a beach wedding. We were planning on having an after wedding dinner at the house with close family and friends. We were told three days before the wedding that they moved us to a different house in a confirmation email sent by Coastline. When called they were rude and shocked that we would even be upset at what they did. Upon looking up the other property online we found the new house cost more than the previous one as well. If it wasn't for the plans we have had set since October (its now April) we are kind of stuck, but I will never rent from these crooks again. They will play the bait and switch to take advantage of you if they can. We were mistreated for our wedding. If they will do that for a wedding; I'm sure they will do what they can to ruin your vacation as well. I take great pleasure in knowing that the bad karma they have brought on themselves will eventually be the end of their business

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
Tulsa, OK
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2009

My husband and I stayed this year in a one bedroom efficiency. We opened the door and an odor hit us as though the local sewer was around the corner. The rugs were soiled and nasty (looked liked had not be vacuumed). Attempted to turn on lamp by bed and found it did not work. My husband moved the bed and saw the lamp was unplugged. I then moved the lamp table by the bed only to find an accumulation of food, record size dust bunnies. The bulb in the lamp was coated with so much grease, I washed it for better light. The lamp finally worked. The bathroom: the stool need to be bolted to the floor (perhaps that was the sewer smell) , the shower head was broken, so you had to hold the hose it was attached to to shower then put it down to wash. The sheets were never changed in one week. Clean towels were placed on the kitchen table each day. Trash carried out only one day. This was our second trip to Island Retreat - first stay was fine, this stay horrid. I couldn't wait to leave. And yes I spoke to the office. My thoughts: not enough employees to clean the units. Too much money for disgusting service.

Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2009

We stayed in #145 and it was a nice condo but a little pricey for what we got. The room was nice and the kitchen well stocked with utensils, pots, pans, etc. The beds were AWFUL and there was no matress cover and the sheets were paper thin. The bath towels were so rough they almost took off skin! The total price for 5 nights was over $1,400 with tax. Front lobby folks were really nice and so were the rest of the staff.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2009

I checked in with my family only to sprain my ankle and break my foot on some uneven concrete at the base of a staircase ten minutes into our week stay.they wouldn't or couldn't put us into a ground floor room until three days later when I turned in an incident report and asked for risk management phone number which wasn't given to me, nor contacted me a week Later after leaving.my vacation was ruined all because of instead of smoothing out concrete, everything is painted yellow.that way they clear themselves of premises liability.we have stayed here twice till now but will never stay again.I will be sure to notify the port aransas boatmens club to warn anybody looking for a place in next years deep sea roundup fish tournament.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2009

My family rented and split the cost of a 3 bedroom condo #46. July 10-11. It had a wonderfull view of the large pool and some beach view from the 2nd floor balcony. NOTE: Ground floor units may not have any beach view due to the height of the sand dunes. We were allowed to check-in early since no one had not been rented the night before. We booked directly through Island Retreat and had no problems at all. We mailed our deposit in May and paid the balnce on arrival. Ours was an older, but well kept unit. The thermostat directions were a little hard to follow(programmable) it was way TOO cold when we first arrived but I finally managed to raise the temperature to the 70's. The floors were a little creaky also and no ventilation system in the 2 bathrooms.
The grandkids LOVED the BIG pool! Easy trip on the boardwalk to the beach, great for early morning strolls. The price was very reasonable split 3 ways. The grounds of the complex were very well kept. There are plenty of restaurants and fast food too ( Subway, Quiznos, What-a-Burger) . The local IGA grocery store has very reasonable prices. The complex has bar-b-que grills and picnic tables on site as well as a fish cleaning house for cleaning your cath of the day.
My son-in-laws had a great time on the fishing charter. A word to the wise...book the 8 hour trip, not the 5. You don't go out far enough on the 5 hour trip to catch anything and of course, you find that out on the trip back to port! Only 2 very small sharks were caught when they went, and the charter before them caught nothing. You can also fish from the jettys.
Port A is a great family location. And Island Retreat is a great place to stay! We will definitely be going back! It's a great place to releax and recharge! We're thinking of booking for April for Sandfest. My only disappointment was that I left my favorite down pillow there ! :(

DP

tablet1
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2009

When we arrived an hour after check in time room was still not clean. We had to leave for an hour and a half and come back to room. After 5 to 10 minutes of back and forth the employee finally allowed us to stay two hours past the 11 am (which seems early compared to most hotels/condos) check out time. We luckily caught the cleaning crew as they were about to leave for the evening.

Later that evening the TV was stuck on one channel. The second TV in the bedroom didn't work at all. The front desk told us that someone would have to come by in the morning to fix them. The person we traveled with was in the lobby and told a young man who stated he was either the owner or manager's son our TV was out. He basically said he "knew what we meant as his Wi-Fi didn't work either". We waited until 10:30 am the next morning and the maintenance man did fix the first one and the second never did get fixed.

Overall I'm not saying these things ruined our trip. I would hesitate to stay here again as it wasn't the problems themselves but the staff's unconcerned response to them. What if the AC or water heater had gone out? I really don't think they would've fixed them till later.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family

Been to Island Retreat? Share your experiences!