“Things Change...Not Always For the Better!” 2 of 5 stars

You added Port Royal Ocean Resort & Conference Center to your Saves list
Port Royal Ocean Resort & Conference Center
3.5 of 5 Condominium   |   6317 State Highway 361, Port Aransas, TX 78373   |
Austin, Texas
“Things Change...Not Always For the Better!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012 via mobile

We have been coming to Port Royal for nearly 20 years, but sadly this may be our last visit! Before our arrival we checked the reviews on Trip and were concerned enough to call the hotel. They had emailed us about the remodeling of the pools and assured us there would be no problems during our stay. I won't go into a lengthy discussion on the issues we encountered, but I will say that they were not related to the construction. In December swimming was not the reason we came. I believe there has been a change in management, if not, then certainly a change in attitude.
With a few exceptions service is slow and unfriendly, the quality of the rooms (our family had three different units) and their amenities vary considerably and over all the management is indifferent. It is a shame as Port Royal had become some what of a tradition.

Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
Vancouver, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2012

I realized the resorts website stated 'mind the dust' but really? The entire resort (except the rooms) are under construction which means we arrived for a 3 night stay to see tall fencing encompassing the interior of the resort. Our family has travelled extensively and would expect that if a resort were to undertake such a large construction project that they would close the facility. Jack hammers still going at night (7pm). Totally disappointed and the funny part was that they still tried charging us for a hotel fee even though there weren't any hotel ammenitiies available to use. I'm sure its a great resort when the facilities are completed but untl then, the owners should close the resort.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Missouri City, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012

I stayed here when I was a kid and jumped at a chance to stay again. Walking into the lobby my first impression was that everything was old looking. Check-in agent wasn't very helpful and I spent 20 minutes looking for my parking spot (they are assigned). We went up to the room and looked out the balcony and realized that all but 1 of the pools were closed. We stayed here because of the awesome pools. How come I didn't see anywhere that they were to be closed? I bragged to my Wife that Port Royal had an awesome set of pools and a pool bar. Walking to the only available pool we saw a dead rat. One of our towels in our room had a big brown stain on it. The restaurant was nice, but expensive.
We ended up paying over $200 although the listed price was around $140 due to all the fees. I would value the hotel at only $80.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
PortRoyalOceanResort, Community Relations Manager at Port Royal Ocean Resort & Conference Center, responded to this review, December 6, 2012
Thank you for your response - we greatly appreciate all feedback and I have shared your concerns with our management team.

We apologize that you experienced some issues while here at Port Royal and that you were surprised about the renovations. The resort is going through many changes right now to make it more enjoyable for our guests.

You mentioned that you loved the pool, and our goal is to make it better than ever. Hopefully you will give us another chance and come visit when the pool is completed in the Spring.

Thank you again and we do hope you give Port Royal another try.

sun
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

Can't beat the warm gulf breeze and lapping waves at this beach front resort. Just returned from a week at Port Royal - relaxed and even a bit of a sun burn! The resort is just finishing it's brand new heated pool & childrens play area as well as a major update to the large set of pools. My room (top floor Unit 6317) overlooked the pool area and had great views of the Gulf and boardwalk as well. Very spacious 'open floor' plan with views from the balcony, kitchen & living area. Nicely updated and a warm comfortable feeling throughout; the housekeeping staff pointed out that the owner had just put in a brand new bed - no wonder I slept so well! The free wireless internet service was a little unreliable at times but there had been some lightening storms in the evenings that may have affected it. The temperature in the hot tub seemed to vary from day to day but may have been effected by the pool renovations. We joked about winning the 'towel lottery' as sometimes the fresh linens included 'average' towels and sometimes some that were twice as thick - maybe just a new batch on occassion. Staff was friendly & quick to provide requested kitchen supplies as needed; kitchen in the room was fully stocked with just about everything that we needed. Great Sunday Brunch in the Restaurant in the main building - think I had shrimp at every meal!

Room Tip: Top floor pool on the 'shady side' got good morning sun & had views of the gulf all day...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
PortRoyalOceanResort, Community Relations Manager at Port Royal Ocean Resort & Conference Center, responded to this review, November 27, 2012
Thank you for your awesome review and highlighting some of the great aspects of your visit! We are so glad you enjoyed your time with us at Port Royal Resort.

As you can see, we are going through several renovations and updates to better accomodate all of our guests.

We hope that you will come back soon to see the finished product of the renovations!

Thank you again and welcome to the Port Royal family!

Dietikon, Switzerland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

We stayed several nights at this location, which we had pre-booked from Europe to discover the aerea with sightseeing and having a rest from our Tex road trip on the beach.
The booking process was smooth and ok. After having made our payment we were informed by mail that one of the pools would be under renovation during our stay. This was not really bad, even if the view from the room was mostly taken up by the building site.
I did not like the appearance of the property inside and out. Strange smells in the elevator, maybe a carpet change would help. Similar smell in the room at first, some fresh air and perfume helped. Elevator control panel was shaky and aerea in front of the room dirty. It all looked uncared and unloved. It seemed nobody really cared and management was not in evidence.
Wi Fi reception was available sporadically, not in the room, but better in various differing locations on the property. TV reception on some local stations seemed to have an on and off mode. The bed seemed to have had its best times years ago. Instead of renovating the pool they would better renovate the rooms. Reception staff did not seem too happy to have guests around.
I would avoid this place, if I should ever need to stay overnight in Port Aransas again. Best part was the shop behind reception. It was adequately stocked for the purpose and the staff were friendly.

Room Tip: If you must go there, do not accept a room in the main building above the reception.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for your feedback. We want to give you our sincerest apology that your visit was not up to par. However, we are glad that your Reservations experience was smooth and the Port Store was able to meet your needs.

Your detailed review is very helpful to us as we are currently working on many things right now. Please know that we are going through several renovations and enhancing various aspects of the resort to ensure that our guests have the best experience possible.

We hope that you will give us another try if you make it back down to Port A!

Thanks again,

Jenni37
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012

This was our first trip to the Corpus Christi area and I wanted a room right on the beach. I did as much research as I could and finally committed to Port Royal, mostly because it could accomodate my husband, myself and our three teenagers. I was also super excited about the awesome looking pool in the picture. When we first arrived I was disappointed. All of the common areas (parking garage, elevators, corridors) were dingey, chipped, peeling, worn, weathered and dirty. Worst of all was the cockroach I spied climbing the wall above the tv last night. It was the only one we saw inside but my hubby saw several outside in the corridor. Maybe that's normal for Texas, if so, I suppose I shouldn't complain. On the positive side, our condo was comfortable---not gorgeous---but adequate, and it was clean. Everything (bedding, lamps, furniture) seemed fairly "aged". The pool was being renovated so only part of it was available for our use; the rest of it was blocked off and had big partitions blocking the view. I was glad they were renovating it because it certainly needs it but sad because it ruined the prettiness of the view. I have to say EVERYONE we met in Texas was incredibly pleasant. Southern hospitality is alive and well in the great state of Texas, and that was certainly true of the staff at Port Royal. I was hoping we would be right on the beach but we had to walk through parking garage to get to the wooden boardwalk that led out to the ocean. The 5-6 minute walk to the beach was pretty, lots of yellow flowers and cactus. No palm trees on the beach or beach chairs to sit on. The beach was strewn with scratchy sea weed and trash. I've made this sound unbearable but it really wasn't horrible. Once I adjusted my expectations and relaxed we had a good time. The ocean water was warm and we pretty much had the beach to ourselves. The condo rooms were spacious. The sheets wouldn't stay on the hide-a-bed couch my son slept on in the living area. As far as location goes, it depends on what you're looking for in a vacation. I felt like we were in the middle of nowhere. If you want to haul groceries and stay put at the condo, or maybe make the ocassional foray into Port Aransas, it might be for you. But if you're looking for night life and entertainment, stay elsewhere. By the way, Port Aransas has only has one older grocery store, an IGA. It had everything we needed.

• Stayed October 2012
PortRoyalOceanResort, Community Relations Manager at Port Royal Ocean Resort & Conference Center, responded to this review, October 29, 2012
Thanks for your feedback! Although we weren’t quite what you expected during your stay, I’m glad you still managed to have a good time. We are currently working hard at upgrading different aspects of our property and genuinely appreciate you giving us feedback on things that are currently being worked on.

We are so glad you got to experience the infamous Southern Hospitality and that our resort staff took part in that. It is our mission to make your stay the best possible and we hope that you will visit us again soon.

Port Royal Ocean Resort
Austin, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012

We just returned from three days at Port Royal and we were pleasantly surprised at many of the upgrades that have been made. Our last visit to PR was about 6 years ago and at that point we said we would not return. However...now we have grandchildren who were very interested in the pool/slide setup so we gave up staying at the beach house we normally stay. Unfortunately, one of the grandchildren fell about an inch short of qualifying for the slide. That didn't go over well...many tears and hurt feelings. That is OUR fault - Port Royal makes it clear there is a height requirement and we "thought" the grandson was close to that. Just know they are VERY firm about the requirement. Even though grandson is a "fish" in the pool - it didn't matter. Just be forewarned that some of your kiddos may not qualify to slide and although there is no alternative slide for them at this point, we were told that plans are to have a slide for the smaller children. Too bad they didn't install the smaller one at the same time they installed the larger one. Our unit was a pet friendly one and I'm sure pet friendly units are not normally as nice as the others. Pros: Convenient "store" for items you don't want to have to drive into town for. Great view of pool and partial view of ocean. Patio furniture excellent. Roomy, nice layout. Rooms seem to be well soundproofed. Nice privacy walls separating balconies. Convenient washer/dryer in kitchen. Good size TV in living area and a TV in master bedroom. Airbeds provided. Well equipped kitchen. 3 covered parking spaces. Dog park and welcome kit. Cons: No slide for youngers. Terribly uncomfortable furniture in living area. Twin beds very uncomfortable. Pillows hard and flat. Will still rent beach house down the road, but when grandson gets a bit taller we will return so he can enjoy the famous slide!

Room Tip: I would shy away from rooms in the main bldg closest to the entrance. Quite far away from the beach...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Thanks for your great feedback - we are so glad that you gave Port Royal another chance. Please know that the height requirement on the slide is for our guest safety, which is our top priority. We want all of our guests to have a wonderful and safe experience.

We do have plans for an amazing children’s area that will be finished by the end of the year. We hope that you bring your grandchildren back to check it out!

Thanks again and we hope to see you again soon!

Port Royal Ocean Resort

Been to Port Royal Ocean Resort & Conference Center? Share your experiences!