“Good Mexican” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations
Texas
“Good Mexican”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

Great Happy hour with complimentary Quesadesa's... one of the best Saturday and Sunday brunches for the price, alongs popular!
The food is a bit more Mexican verses TexMex.

Visited December 2012

honolulu
“Dry Dry, Always Dry”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

We had food catered from here a lot, and it was always dry. My mother read about it in a Texas Monthly magazine, so I took her there expecting better than catered food. It was no different. The waiters were great and atmosphere great. Concept and food creativity are great, but everything I've ever had was so dry I had to put sauce on it. I don't think it should be like that. Not worth all the ratings in Dallas or Texas for that matter.

Maybe fun for a drink.

Visited March 2012
Houston, TX
“Great Southwestern Food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

Great margs, loved the smoked chicken enchiladas, adobe pie. Great fresh salsa, too. The bar looks like it could be a fun place to hangout.

Visited January 2013
Dallas, Texas
“Kinda boring”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

Blue Mesa has a nice menu, but its really kind of boring food. Every thing tastes the same; from the tacos to the steaks. Not the best experience.

Visited January 2013
Texas
“Just Below Average”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

Originally we were drawn to the restaurant due to the offering of local food sources, organic items on the menu and more "exotic" takes on the traditional dishes of the southwest.

The Food:
I couldn't bring myself to order the organic dishes. There were only two and were phrased "organic chicken with X" which implies to the organic eater's critical eye that the only item of food in the dish that may be organic is the chicken. Since the "X" items were nothing that appealed to me (in fact, things I rather disdain as chefs trying odd ingredients together but that is my personal taste) I opted for seafood. A salmon filet, blue crab enchilada and grilled shrimp. All others at the table ordered the tacos.
The chips and salsa were delicious and the only item on the table worth seconds.
Once the food was finally delivered (see "The Service") it was below average. Honestly the shrimp were par for someone just learning to cook seafood who had just listened to a lecture about the dangers of undercooked seafood as they could have passed for shrimp shaped rubber. They tasted like nothing besides char - I have no idea if they were seasoned or with what it may have been. The blue crab enchilada was smothered (or drowning) in a red tomato sauce of some sort. I could not taste the crab over the tomato (I couldn't taste the tortilla over it either) and eventually I scraped it off so I could have a bite of crab that tasted like crab. It was okay. The salmon was so strong and so "fishy" I couldn't bear to finish it. I'm a seafood junkie and I couldn't bear more than a few bites.
The others in my party spoke of their tacos being "okay" but nothing worth coming back for.
We didn't order dessert as we were not impressed with dinner so I couldn't tell you what it is like.

The Service:
While the staff was in uniform it was the only thing setting them apart as someone who was working there. They were filling plates with what appeared to be left overs from a buffet (as if the buffet had just ended) vs. filling the plates in the kitchen. I personally have no problem with staff eating left over food that must be trashed for no good reason (I would rather see it feed someone even if just for a snack) but having to navigate my way through nonchalant staff to find my table was a tad irritating.
The wait was forever. Seeing the restaurant was near empty (only three other tables had people at them that we saw) I have no idea what took so long. Our waitress would disappear for what seemed like ages - however she was good at keeping the chips, salsa and water coming which appeared to be a cover up for the exceptionally slow kitchen. We were there for over two hours waiting and only eating dinner for maybe 20 minutes. It was poor service and we tipped out of obligation not out of gratitude for the service provided.

Price:
Overpriced. I have had better food from a greasy food truck. It was $17 for my seafood. I have cooked better not paying attention to what I was doing.

Overall it was decent food as none of us were sick afterwards and all full however we have no intentions of returning (which is depressing as it is difficult to find a restaurant that serves local foods and organic) but I cannot bring myself to spend hard earned money on mediocre food when a trip to the grocery store could produce better.

• Visited December 2012