“Excellent Service” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Mexican
Plano
“Excellent Service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2014

A great little neighborhood restaurant. Great food and even better service. A little pricey for such a small place but worth it.

• Visited June 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Dallas
“Don't miss out on this little gem”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2014

Don't miss out on this nice little Mexican restaurant on the SE corner of Alma and Legacy. A bit hard to see, but just south of the Valero station in a small strip center. I love supporting locally owned business. Rafael takes his business and food very seriously. I had the fajitas which were very good. Nice flavoring and a nice grill to them. Salsa is very tasty as well. He was very nice and gave me a sample of the peach or mango frozen margarita (can't remember which). It was not too sweet and had a nice, smooth flavor. The only thing I would love to see changed up is the queso. I am a bit of a queso snob, so am judging very harshly. It was OK, but tasted not much flavor and the cheese tasted a bit "canned". I added salsa to it and enjoyed it with the chips. The menu has your typical fare. Rafael did say his chili rellenos are his specialty, so will have to go back and give them a try. I really want to see this restaurant succeed. They have a good product and great service. Stop on by and check them out.

• Visited May 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Sachse
“Good food, unique margarita”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2014

Great pork tacos, great pork nachos, great salsa, cheap beer, and a unique twist on the margarita! Very friendly staff. Cozy place. Raphael, the own, is so nice and welcoming. Must try this place.

Plano, Texas
“The best around”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2014 via mobile

Amazing rice and beans. The fajitas are awesome and a great beer selection. Would recommend this place to anyone.

Visited February 2014
Allen, Texas
“Simple, amazing food like your grandma would cook”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2014

Do you miss the original Herrera’s in the tiny adobe house? Despair no more, you have a new place to go – and like Herrera’s it is worth the drive. RIO BRAVO at Alma and Legacy in Plano – near the SE corner. This place has so much charm and such magnificent food, I barely know where to begin. When I go out to eat, I actually expect the food to be good, so it takes a lot to get me in the mood to get on the computer and write a review about food that I already expect to be good. I ate so much I won’t be able to go to bed for hours, so here I am writing a review because hubby and I can’t stop talking about the food. Last Friday night we ate at another venue in the shopping center that supposedly had ‘awesome’ pizza. I’ve been looking for (and not finding) awesome pizza for 15 years since my favorite place went out. This place was not cheap and the pizza tasted like Red Baron left out too long. We decided to stroll around a bit and complain to ourselves about the pizza and we walked past this Mexican Food place, Rio Bravo (John Wayne anyone)? We stopped to take a peek in and a very nice man came out and started talking to us. He invited us to come in for a drink, but not in a pushy way. It felt like a friend inviting you into their home. He told us about Thursday night Romance night where they have musicians that will play romantic songs for you. We were much too stuffed with nasty pizza to entertain the thought of drinks, but he invited us to come again and this nice man really left an impression on us. So around rolls Friday night and the usual “where are we going to eat” and we remembered the nice man and that we told him we would come back and we decided to take a chance.

From THE VERY FIRST BITE I was in love. The chips were hot and crispy and coarse – real chips, not like the bleached white ‘restaurant style’ tasteless tortilla chips you get most places. And the hot sauce was DIVINE. Hot, but not in an overpowering way, with so many hints of sublime spices. I told my husband that if the food was as good as the chips that I thought we might have finally found the ‘new Herrera’s” of which I have been dreaming.

I had cheese enchiladas and hubby had beef. You know how so many beef enchiladas taste like ‘meat’ that they threw sauce on top of to make it taste like something? Yeah, that’s why I never get the beef. This beef tasted like real food. The beef itself had been superbly spiced. I could have eaten just the meat with a spoon and felt like I had a great meal.

And the little touches – fabric softener in the napkins, the waitress wiping water spots off the silverware after it came out of the dry cycle, that if you order to go food and it includes Sopapillas, you have to wait a little longer when you arrive because they don’t start them until you get there. They care that your dessert isn’t cold and soggy when you get home. WHAT? Who does THAT any more?

They are in a hard to see location, so let’s help these folks be successful in what is now my favorite Mexican Food place (Selfish much? Yeah.)
1) Nice people, family owned
2) Care about their customers
3) Superb food
4) Stout drinks
5) Affordable prices
6) Named after the beloved John Wayne
7) Real Mexican food north of Downtown Dallas
8) ‘Nuff said, get yourself there and bring all your friends. The drive is worth it.

I can’t wait to try the fajitas and the tortilla soup. Hmmm, might see you there tomorrow night!

• Visited January 2014